Frightened Boy

Frightened Boy

A Book by Scott Kelly
"

A young man is caught up in a battle for reality fought between existential terrorists and the paranoia of a populace in the last metropolis in America.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Frightened Boy.




© 2010 Scott Kelly


Author's Note

Scott Kelly
If you'd like to download a copy of Frightened Boy in beautifully formatted .pdf or .doc, or even .epub for your Stanza (iPhone) then please visit
http://www.the-novelist.com/frightenedboy

Havoc has been cried and the hounds of war are loose in Banlo Bay, the last metropolis in America. You’re either a mouth or a mouthful, and young Clark Horton survives like a squirrel in the Serengeti—during the Great Collapse he spent months diving in dumpsters and drinking from drains.

Now that he’s finally got a roof over his head and doing better than 90% of Americans in 2056, along comes Erika. She’s a vagabond, con artist, and worse, beautiful. She’s inexplicably latched onto Clark, intent on casting him in the star role of one of her elaborate schemes.

Clark has no choice but to trust her as soon both are swept into a war between the city and the Secret Society of Strangers, a terrorist group whose members possess surreal powers inspired by the work of Descartes and Lewis Carroll. This elite team includes a mystical banshee who destroys men’s minds with esoteric truth, a backpacker whose headphones play tunes that can topple towers, and a man so completely boring that he’s invisible.

At the center of the Strangers is Escher, the Red King. The gun-toting psychopath is a solipsist who is convinced all of reality is an invention of his own mind and that everything he sees is a twisted remnant of his past life as mind-bending graphic artist M.C. Escher.

Clark and Erika’s blooming romance is tested by Escher, who is convinced that Clark is destined to become one of his chosen few and has a unique, existential bond with the young man—which might be fine, except Escher has a plan to kill every other person living in Banlo Bay.

It’s up to Clark and Erika to stop Escher from achieving his ultimate goal of obliterating the city—but first they’ll have to decide if that’s the right thing to do.

I'm a young but established novelist with one published novel - 2005's Jimwamba (Flame Books) under my belt. I have recently completed work on my new story, Frightened Boy, and am presently seeking to spread the word and get feedback on the book. Thanks so much for your attention.



Reviews

I'll read yours if you read mine...:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't have either. Msg me when the book is available on print. I'll be sure to get a copy.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Come December-ish, I should have the funds together to do a CreateSpace deal and have the book available for print via Amazon.com. There are staple-bound copies available but obtaining them and (and my mailing them) is a bit of a pain in the a*s. If you have an iPhone or iPad, I just added instructions on how to read the book free at my website:
www.the-novelist.com/frightenedboy

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Is there any chance to get a printed version of this? I'd rather read books in well...book form, and seems quite interesting!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

507 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 16, 2010
Last Updated on July 16, 2010
Tags: action, thriller, existentialism, dystopian, sex, violence, romance, war, powers, hero, frightened boy, mc escher, bach, godel, scott kelly

Author

Scott Kelly
Scott Kelly

Austin, TX



About
I've written novels most of my life - I finished my first one when I was fifteen. It sucked; so did the next two or three. Then I went to college and got a degree in English and slowly my novels got b.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Scott Kelly