Chapter 4 - Horsemen

Chapter 4 - Horsemen

A Chapter by Scott Kelly

4.  Horseman

 

The door banged against the frame like war drums.  It was clear that the wooden sheet wouldnt last; the force of his kicks vibrated the barrier savagely.  I was trapped inside the dark security room with only the dead faces of gray monitors for light.

Open the f*****g door!  he shouted between kicks.  He shot through the door; the bullet tore through the panel.

There was a long pause as he tried the doorknob again.

If I cant see you, you cant be you, the leader mumbled angrily. 

I crouched underneath my desk and pulled my knees to my chest.  All I could do was pray that one of those bullets didnt rip through me. 

I shouldnt have come to work today.

I dont necessarily want to kill you, whoever you are.  I just need that footage. 

I remained silent.  The last thing I wanted was for him to know I was in there.

I know youre in there! he shouted, exasperated.

F**k!

I know this door only locks from the inside, and I know theres only one door that leads into that room.  Just open the door; I will stand back. I just need access to those computers. Do as I say and you won't be harmed.  As though he had only just realized he was screaming at me, he softened his voice.  Hey, itll be fine.

I didnt say anything.  My vast experience in hiding had taught me that assailants often talk to you kindly and offer empty promises just to lure you out.

Then he started kicking again, and in moments his boot was through the door. He cursed and struggled to pull his foot out of the hole hed made.

I pressed myself into the corner underneath my desk.  I saw his thick hand, adorned with a single large ruby ring, reaching through to turn the doorknob.

The leader stepped into the room and pointed a large silver pistol at me, as though hed known where I hid all along.  I noticed his beard and hair were a striking dark crimson color"the color of fresh blood.  He was maybe six feet tall, but seemed ten from the way he towered over me.

The intensity of being in the same room with him was unbearable.  It felt like I was standing in the same room as Napoleon, Hitler. This guy was some kind of Genghis Khan, I swear.  There was some presence to him that was overwhelming just from.  I held my breath until he looked at something other than me. 

Where is the footage stored?  he asked angrily, staring directly into my eyes. 

I cowered and stuttered, Its""

Its where?  He cocked the gun meaningfully and pressed the long barrel to my temple.

In that locker, I said, pointing a trembling finger toward the security box that held the taping mechanism.  The security boxes were made of heavy steel with large locks.

He tried to open it, to no avail. The lock didn't seem as scared of him as I was.

Key, he said simply.

My heart dropped, and I couldnt respond.  I didnt want to have to tell him that Id lost the key, but I truly had no idea where it was.  Id never used it.

Key! he roared, this time pushing the gun into my face again.  I am going to kill you if you do not give me the key.

I was too petrified to respond. No one ever told me how to unlock it. My head shook back and forth again.

S**t! he screamed, kicking my chair with his alligator-skinned boot and sending it tumbling.  Get up! he shouted.  When I couldnt move, he grabbed my wrist and yanked me from my hiding place, banging my head against the top of my desk as he did.  I stumbled up. Are you there? he asked, shaking me violently.

Yes, I mumbled.

Where is the key to this locker?  I don't have time to waste standing here.  I need this footage. What is your name?

Clark, I said.

Clark, normally, I would spend time with you and help you to change your mind about me.  You see, I am not a bad person"if you knew why I killed the people I killed, you would most likely even agree with me.  But I dont have time for that.  He stopped shaking me and put an arm around me so that the gun was resting against my chest. He tapped the barrel against my sternum to accent his words. Im not a bad guy, Clark.  Just open the lock for me, he said.

I cant, I forced out. 

Okay, look, I actually am a bad guy.  Im going to do horrible things to you until you give me that key. 

My mind was caught in the same endless feedback loop of terror"I couldnt form thoughts, make plans, or argue.  Just that constant Fsscccccccccccchhhhh, the static of over-stimulation, running through my head.

He brought his pistol up to my shoulder, and it looked like he was going to shoot me. 

Last chance to…” his words trailed off, and his eyes averted to the host of monitors in front of us. S**t, he said.  He released me, and I crumpled to the floor in a fetal position as he stalked out of the security room.  He turned out the door and pointed his gun at me; he fired a shot without looking, as though it were an afterthought.  The sound was deafening in the closed quarters, and the bullet hit the floor only a few inches from my left eye.  Dust and fibers erupted from the carpet and into my face.  

When I could breathe again"when I could think again"I looked up at the monitors and saw what had worried him.  Police cars were filling up the camera view outside Tasumec Tower.

I watched as he rushed down dozens of flights of stairs, a cell phone to his ear.  There were several police cruisers outside the building, and I could see officers approaching the lobby.

The two people hed brought with him"the Strangers waiting for their leader in the lobby"were apparently talking with him over their phones.  One of them repositioned himself so he could ambush any police officers who dared entered the building.  The other, a woman, pulled out a large revolver and lazily loaded it, pinching one bullet at a time between two fingers and dropping it daintily into each chamber of the six-shooter as though she thought they were filthy things. 

Their uniforms"if you could call them that"consisted of the vast tumbling granite gray trench coats that stretched out over their bodies until they seemed impossibly large and nebulous, a mummy of layers meant to announce their presence as nothing other than unwelcoming.  The female"a fact made apparently by her long dark hair and tall stiletto heels"was crowned with an enormous black Sunday hat, fashionable a century ago, if even if then. 

I wanted to scream to the approaching policemen and warn them of the ambush, to tell them not to move through the door, but there was nothing I could do.  Two officers rushed forward, guns drawn, only to be attacked the moment they stepped through.

The male Stranger, whod been waiting in ambush, moved his two cavernous sleeves to the first officers head and snapped his neck with a powerful, grossly unnatural twist. 

Before the body had even crumpled to the ground, the cloaked figure had already moved to his next target.  He was hunched menacingly as his enormous cloak billowed away from him.  I saw his lithe, lizard-like frame outlined perfectly until the fabric caught up to his movement. 

The second policeman was met with the same dark hands around his neck as he was pushed to the ground and the Stranger kneeled over him, the fabric from the coat seeming to eat them both, and then I lost view of the horror.

Just as I saw more police cars pulling up outside the tower, the leader reached the lobby.  He grabbed his female compatriot, and they bolted out the front into the swarm of cops.

At first, the police seemed tense and ready to open fire, but then the female stepped forward and seemed to be talking to them, lecturing them.  The uniformed men soon began to lower their weapons, faces filling with inexplicable sadness.  It seemed impossible, like the woman was scolding small children. 

The leader pulled her away, and the trio continued down the street, out of camera view.

The police snapped back into motion.  I watched dumbly as they swept into the tower.  They came storming up the staircases and took their time searching every room. I was stuck in that tiny room, staring at the bullet hole in the floor, for what seemed like eternity. 

I watched with a general sense of dread as they worked their way up to me.  We made hesitant contact and radios were frantically barked at until I was identified. Soon, my room was crowded with officers who intruded on my personal space and touched my computer.  I fidgeted as they asked me about what footage the cameras had of the intruder; I watched them try to bring up the digital file, only to find that it had all been erased somehow.

I wasnt surprised.  The man whod broken down the door had gone straight for the hardcopy backups, which he shouldnt have known about.  They were locked up in a heavy cage and were touched only twice a year to switch the hard drives out.  The copies we used daily were stored on the network, where others could access it; this is what had been erased. 

 Do you think he was trying to kill me?  I asked the detective while I stared at the hole in the floor of my office. Even after surviving the Collapse, it was probably the closest Id ever come to dying.

War is to man as motherhood is to woman, the detective said, writing me off with some kind of ridiculous proverb. 

What? I asked.  What does that even mean?

Its just a saying and Escher doesnt miss, the detective said quietly.  He was distracted, reading some sort of file as he talked to me.

Is that who was up here?  Escher? So the leader had a name.

It was Escher, he said. The SSS are his.

SSS?

Secret Society of Strangers.

Well, did you guys catch him?

The detectives grip tightened on the file he was holding. No. 

Why? I asked. 

Because theyre freakin magic, alright?  Jesus. 

But it looked like"”

What it looks like with the Strangers and what it is are almost always two different things.  Were doing what we can.  He said it in a way that encouraged me to drop the subject. 

I shut up.

We need to check your ID just standard stuff, he told me moments later, seemingly apologetic.  I couldn't blame him really. The police that were left in Banlo Bay had to do a job better suited for a military " except there was no more Federal government, and so no more military.  

No problem, I said, happy to do anything to get me out of there quicker.  I reached into my back pocket and found it empty. Its missing, I stammered.  I had it when I came in. I know I did.  My card pass is in there. I couldnt have gotten up the elevator without it. 

The detective asked the officers if anyone had found it.  No one had. Is it possible that Escher took it? he asked.

Yes, I guess its possible but I dont know.  He grabbed me out from under the desk, but it was all a blur.  Oh, God! He has my"my name, my address even my city card.

Dont worry. I can issue you a temporary pass.  He pulled out a pad of forms from his back pocket and began writing.  This will be good for two weeks, alright?  You need to have a new card by then.

I have someone at home. They could go over there, try to find her, and"”

How would they know shes there? he asked. And why would they want to go?

I decided not to tell him about the cage where the hardcopy footage was locked. The less reason I gave the Strangers to dislike me, the longer I would live.

Why wouldnt they?  How do I know what they know?

Look, youve had a long day.  Go home, take a rest.  Youll be fine.  If you need anything, all 911. Well come just like we always do, he said, trying to placate me. 

It wasnt going to work, though.  They couldnt even protect themselves. 

I shivered, already reaching for my phone

How confident are you he wouldnt try anything?  I asked again as my phone made its maddening third and fourth rings.

The police officer had already turned away. 

Then the receiver lifted. Yes? Erika asked.

Jesus, youre okay.  I didnt know what to expect.  I thought someone might be after you.

What are you talking about?  Why would anyone be after me?

Its been a hell of a day.  Am I on the news?  Is there anything about Tasumec Tower being attacked? I asked.

No, nothing like that, she said.  Just a cat chasing a dog with a butcher knife. 

On the news?

Theres nothing.  Come on home, my Lord. I have a new altar prepared for you.

Ill be there soon.  Keep the door locked. 



© 2012 Scott Kelly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Describing Escher as Genghis Khan did a great job of providing with vivid image of the character as I read -- I really can't say why either. I was writing comments with each chapter I read up until this point, where I stopped. I was to much into the story to bother with writing along as I go. The action seemed to quicken and I wanted to read on to find out more about the SSS.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Describing Escher as Genghis Khan did a great job of providing with vivid image of the character as I read -- I really can't say why either. I was writing comments with each chapter I read up until this point, where I stopped. I was to much into the story to bother with writing along as I go. The action seemed to quicken and I wanted to read on to find out more about the SSS.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
RTB
this chapter was urgent and quick paced it was cool how the police were fast exept i ddnt like wen the woman scolded or lectured them cause i was ready for gunplay hahaha jk good work il get to the rest as soon as i can

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

434 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 16, 2010
Last Updated on January 5, 2012
Previous Versions


Author

Scott Kelly
Scott Kelly

Austin, TX



About
I've written novels most of my life - I finished my first one when I was fifteen. It sucked; so did the next two or three. Then I went to college and got a degree in English and slowly my novels got b.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Scott Kelly