The Day After: A Story

The Day After: A Story

A Story by Scott A. Williams
"

For 500 words group, because it HAS to be a story.

"

So, I'm standing in the hallway, right, and there she is, coming the other way.  And I freeze.  I mean, FROZEN SOLID.  I feel like I'm going to collapse and bang my head against a locker, but instead my feet are made of lead.  Stuck in place.  My heart races and I try to decide what, exactly, I'm going to tell her.  If anything.  No, nothing.  Not going to say a word.  Not even going to say hello.


"Hey," she says.

"Hey!  Um, hi, hello.  How is it going?  What’s up?" I'm trying to sound real proper but it comes out sounding like one of those computer voices.

"Not bad.  Why?" She eyes me like something SHOULD be wrong but she doesn't know what.  I just want her to walk away so I can breathe.

"No, I mean, um, I heard about what happened?"

"What happened?" she squints her eyes at me.  She must not know.  How can she not know?

"The, um, the robbery at your place.  There was a, uh, I thought I heard."

"Oh, oh, that.  Well it's not what it sounds like," she seems oddly casual about it, “I heard about it on the news, too.  It wasn’t my place, it was my old house.”

I nearly choke.  “Your old house?”

“Yeah,” she says like I should know this, “I moved six months ago to a smaller house down the street.  So it was my old house that was broken into.  It was spooky, but hey, at least it wasn’t my actual house.”

“Oh really!” I squeak, maybe too high-pitched.  “So, um, hey, that was lucky.”

“Yeah, I guess so.  It’s weird though, on the news, they said the burglar only took a few items from the girl’s bedroom.  The girl whose house it was.  No jewels or cash or anything, just personal stuff.”

“How about that...” I feel my legs wobble.

“My mom actually talked to her, said she didn’t get a good look at the robber, but the police are trying to do one of those wanted posters for him.”

My face is struck, my jaw clenches and I mutter “That’s... interesting.”

“So listen, we still on to study for history?”

“Sure, sure,” my heart flutters with guilt and anxiety and heartache when she smiles and walks away, leaving me with two problems: how will I ever tell her how I feel, and whose panties did I steal?

© 2010 Scott A. Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! This is really good. Love the ending.

Posted 14 Years Ago


LOL! Wow! This is hilarious! XD I thought it was going to end in tragedy, like, the girl's mom died or something. But this is amazing! I love your writing style~ It's so simple and to the point. Bravo!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Haha! Panty Raider! Very creative. Really liked the originality of this. You made me LoL. Thanks!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This one definitely made me chuckle out loud. I'm loving the way we all have our own unique spin on the title. This group is starting to make so much sense. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Lol the last line of this poem is so funny. Guess boys should keep their hormones in check before they get arrested for taking panties. lol this had me laughing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hey Scott,
Lol, not bad, big guy. No gripes or suggestions at all. Such a dilemma of crime, punishment, and abuse! Good job man; keep it up! BZ

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ha ha ha ha! Panty raid at the wrong locale! Funny, I like it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


lol i like it!!! well done, great for a laugh, he sure is going to be in trouble!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 10, 2010
Last Updated on March 10, 2010

Author

Scott A. Williams
Scott A. Williams

GTA, Canada



About
Born in Toronto. Raised in the suburbs. Schooled in journalism. Lookin' for meaning in an uncertain world. I spend a lot of time writing for a girl whom I'm not sure exists, but I thought she wasn.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Inventory Inventory

A Poem by Alessander