On Love

On Love

A Story by despitegreathands
"

My answer to a question I was asked

"
We were asked how we know it's love.
When she's a part of you now. When you can't wait for her any longer and she has to be yours and you need to be her's. When you have that new thing you found and you can't wait to share it with her. You don't even care if she'll like it or not. But you still have to share it. She has to see it, hold it, taste it, hear it. She has to because she's a part of you now. She's another dimension of you that you didn't know you had and she's exciting and alive and everything becomes new again. 
You know it's love because it takes over you. It's in your heart, in your head, it burns underneath your skin. The words you'd hide for yourself suddenly have to be said out loud. The stupid thoughts that float in your mind, aimless and formless, need to be expressed with words and touch for her and no one else. It's a passion you didn't know you had and you don't quite what to do with it, but this girl you have now shares it with you and no one else. It's a passion that is all encompassing, and in that moment, it's only for you two.
It's the passion that takes over all rationale. It tells you that even though the water is just above your neck and you're going to drown, you'll stand a little bit longer just to hold her hand for a few more seconds. It tells you that you want to burn bright, brighter than everything else in the room, and tricks you into thinking that it will last forever. It's a fire that will remind you that the moment it begins to fade, that it can be rekindled if fed. And when it's love, you'll feed the flame no matter the cost.
You'll know it has you when the little things begin to matter. The way her eyes twinkle in that small manner that only you notice. The way she smiles, as if it's meant for you and only you. The way she looks at you when no one sees. You'll know it's love when you can pick out her laugh in a see of laughter. When you can hold a million hands but know exactly which one belongs to the one you love because her's is the only one that matters.
You'll know it's love when it is absolute. 
It is absolute in its forgiveness. It'll tell you to forgive her when she's hurt you for the thousandth time. It'll beg you to hold your tongue when your anger begins to show. It'll tell you to apologize, even when you're not in the wrong, because the fight is insignificant and the kiss is worth swallowing your pride. 
And it is absolute in it's cruelty. It will remind you of all your failures in love before. It will show you everything you've done wrong in the past leading up to where you are now. When it leaves you, and it leaves us all at least once, it will remind you of it's presence. It will wake you at night, reminding you of what it once felt like to be held, kissed, cared for, embraced. It will show itself to you in other people's lives, giving you glimpses of what you once had back when. And it will remind you, that for some, it will never come back.
You'll know it was love when it hurts to breathe after the dust has settled. When you turn around and look back and your realize a part of what made you, you, is gone. Suddenly the air feels too dry, the sun too hot, and the winter air too cold. Life slows to a dull beat and a numbness takes hold of you.
And you'll know when you're in love again when the cycle repeats itself. You'll see her, someone new, someone exciting, someone that makes you feel alive again. She'll get under your skin, in your head, and the sound of her voice will make you nervous and excited because here's another chance to make her mine. You'll exchange glances, small smiles, when your hand touch innocently enough it'll be a memory you look back on over and over and over again.
You'll know it's love because love is absolute, Love is all encompassing. Love is passion. Love is creation and love is destruction. 
And you will want it more than anything.

© 2015 despitegreathands


Author's Note

despitegreathands
yep.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

has to be the best thing I've read all year, not to say everything i've read all year isn't as brilliant, but because the way it shouts, it f-ing shouts with a thumping heart and the knee slap of conviction and knowing, KNOWING beyond anything else you love this person and you are not ashamed to tell the world.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

despitegreathands

9 Years Ago

Oh man, thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it!
Corset

9 Years Ago

I enjoyed it very much :)



Reviews

has to be the best thing I've read all year, not to say everything i've read all year isn't as brilliant, but because the way it shouts, it f-ing shouts with a thumping heart and the knee slap of conviction and knowing, KNOWING beyond anything else you love this person and you are not ashamed to tell the world.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

despitegreathands

9 Years Ago

Oh man, thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it!
Corset

9 Years Ago

I enjoyed it very much :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015

Author

despitegreathands
despitegreathands

Chesapeake, VA



About
Hello! I'm a new writer. I'm from VA and just graduated with a Poli Sci degree. more..

Writing