The Writer, An Artist

The Writer, An Artist

A Story by by Lauren

I like the texture of words; they can roll off your tongue like marbles or stick to the roof of your mouth like peanut butter.  They play structured or sloppy, poignant or passé, languid or lethargic �" all within the writer’s frame of mind.

 

***

 

When my dad and I painted in our garage, I chose watercolor and he chose oil. I was young enough to entertain a doll at the same time and often turned away to hold her. With one free hand, I washed my canvas using a wooden brush with thick bristles, in broad strokes, just like my dad showed me. Swirling it until the fibers were thick with primary blue, I wiped it over the soaking canvas, back and forth, guiding it across my sky. It floated into pastel air and landed on a cloud at the bottom of the canvas.

 My dad scraped oil hues of royal blue and indigo with his chisel, wiping them on a slab of white. He chopped them to lumpy bits and then smoothed the clump into a stream of colors that became one hazy blue sky, ideal for an afternoon.

 Strokes and colors, texture and shape �" all the details are hints. This is how I perceive the sky. The picture reveals the artist; what do you see?

Sometimes our work exposes our ignorance. We paint our sunsets where the sun should rise, or we write a repulsive flaw into our protagonist �" this reveals a blind eye on the author’s face, or point of view. This is not to say it cannot be corrected. We learn what is true and we try it again, as a new picture, framed by understanding. And those words that spread thick over the page will melt into one beautiful sky, true to the texture of our language.

© 2012 by Lauren


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on November 1, 2012
Last Updated on November 1, 2012
Tags: writing, painting, art, expression, color, words, watercolor, oil, description

Author

by Lauren
by Lauren

Apple Valley, CA



About
I'm a Communication graduate with some experience in journalism and writing copy for advertising. I don't have an agent and am somewhat "undiscovered" but would like to increase my readership. I w.. more..

Writing