Writing in Polaroids

Writing in Polaroids

A Story by by Lauren

Stories are made of pictures. And just like we flip through a photo album, we form images in our head from beginning to end �" its the constant flow, called profluence.  Action leads to reaction, intensifying until the climax. 

It’s like the rhythm of the waves that rush into the shoreline, tripping over themselves.  Initial action pushes us into the story, resisted by a subsequent reaction, stumbling over itself toward the climax and ultimate resolve; every event at its core being a still shot.

These snap shots are made of vivid details that the writer must observe in order to recreate a setting the reader can imagine.  When the reader can see the world the author has created, they will be able to step into it completely. 

But like a photo flip book, if any detail is inconsistent, a writer forfeits their charm.  Down to the insignificant detail, every shot must be true to the story in plot, characters and theme.

© 2012 by Lauren


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's like the rhythm of the waves
that crash into the shoreline.
A nice write.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
1 Review
Added on November 1, 2012
Last Updated on November 1, 2012
Tags: Polaroids, picture, writing, how to, word picture, metaphor, waves, ocean, creativity, snap shot, writing for story, photo, flip book, charm

Author

by Lauren
by Lauren

Apple Valley, CA



About
I'm a Communication graduate with some experience in journalism and writing copy for advertising. I don't have an agent and am somewhat "undiscovered" but would like to increase my readership. I w.. more..

Writing