A Childhood Memory: Rocks

A Childhood Memory: Rocks

A Story by selenasaur
"

this is a story of my childhood rock fascination.

"

Everyday as a child I would walk home from my bus stop which was about a quarter-mile away. Although, at the time it seemed much farther.  They say everything is farther, bigger, slower when you're just a kid.  So there I would be strolling along with my bouncy curls and my boucny spirit.  Usually, I would count how many steps it took to get home.  I was very curious to see just how many it would take.  My shifty eyes would scan the ground and I'd stop, I'd say probably every eight steps and pick up a rock that I thought was interesting. I would crouch down in my denim overalls that had one strap unbuttoned observing my newly claimed rocks.

Looking now through my special, handmade rock box, I mostly picked up white ones and occasionally pink ones.  And everyday when I finally made it home I would be very excited and would show my mother the rocks I collected for the day. She would pay close attention as I showed her them one by one. When I was finished I'd scurry up the steps headed straight for my rock box and them in. Each time I opened the box it told me, "I am his Highness' dog at kew." Then it would ask, "Pray tell me sir, whose dog are you?"

I even loved that rocks that where outside of my childhood home in the front yard. They where used for decoration I guess.  Rough, red rocks with hundreds of little holes in them. I don't care if you absolutely know what kind of rocks they are classified as. To me they were volcano rocks straight out of a volcano and dumped into my front yard.

Over time I collected geodes and quartz and many other kinds of rocks. If u pointed to one though and asked what kind of rock that was I'd have no idea. I'm too fascinated by their beauty to research just what kind they are.

 I sit here now, still with bouncy curls and a boucny spirit sifting through the sand and digging through the dirt with a turquoise stone necklace around my neck collecting my rocks.

© 2011 selenasaur


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on August 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 3, 2011

Author

selenasaur
selenasaur

Pittsburgh, PA



About
info to come more..

Writing
Appalachia Appalachia

A Story by selenasaur