Chapter 7: A Band and a Snake

Chapter 7: A Band and a Snake

A Chapter by selkietales
"

Tension grows among Vertigo, Nessa, and Phanta. The League is divided into teams and sent on missions for Super Demon Baby.

"

Vertigo

                I looked at Contagioness confusedly. She just found out she had a twin sister, who just died in front of her, and yet she was saying we should form a band? My own father had turned traitor and this was her big solution? I clenched my fists.

                “A rock band?” My tone was accusatory, what in the world could a rock band accomplish? Phantom Paranoia glared at me.

                “Duh, and I can see you think it’s a useless idea. Well I think it’s a pretty good idea! With our lyrics we could influence the people and they will rise up and-“

                “No, that’s not what I meant!” exclaimed Nessa. “You know, a Band of Brothers kind of band. Not a rock band. Jeez, none of us can even sing.” She looked on the verge of tears and kept glancing at the green puddle on the floor that was slowly turning brown.

                “Nessa,” I started, hesitating. “Um, do you think what she said was true? I mean, I guess she was pretty genuine to…” I trailed off, averting my eyes.

                “What the heck, Vertigo! How could you doubt her? Look what she did! For me, she- She died.” Nessa’s face was pinched. She stood. “I’m going to our room.”

                “Way to go, Vertigo.” Phanta glared at me.

                “Hey, I didn’t mean anything by it, okay? You guys are the ones that overreacted! It was just a question. God. You know what? I’m glad she died. And Nessa’s not the only one having a hard time! I’m going to go find out when our demonic leader wants us to go on a mission.” I stalked off towards the far side of the cafeteria where the mission board was. There were several people gathered around the board, arguing with The Proliferator.

                “What the heck! Why are we being split up?”

                “We work the best with our own teams. Are you trying to reduce the quality of work?”

                “I’m teamed up with a freaking hero! This is not okay, I’m a villain! Villains and heroes don’t work together!”

                The Proliferator held up his hand and, surprisingly, they quieted down. “You are split from your teams because there is no longer a need for distinction between villains and heroes. You’re all the same kind now: servants. You serve Super Demon Baby and if you disobey… Well, I probably don’t need to explain the consequences,” he said, gesturing to the now brown and half coagulated pile of bacteria. “In fact, you-“ He pointed to a very attractive villain, “Go clean that up.”

                The villain in question paled, but went to go find cleaning supplies, glaring at me as he passed. I assumed it was because he was angry and just glared at everyone. Tentative and nervous, I walked up to the board. My name was listed next to Phanta’s and someone named Anaconda. Who picks Anaconda as their name? I hoped it was a girl because the only nicknames coming from Anaconda were Annie and Connie. I knew all the heroes by name, but as a prospective hero I generally put no effort into knowing the villains’ names. I could ask Nessa and Phanta if they knew my new teammate.

                As soon as the thought entered my mind I remembered our argument and turned back to the board.

                Team Vertigo, Phantom Paranoia, and Anaconda will be collecting all the gifts Phantom Paranoia gave the orphans last week. You leave at 8:15 tonight.

                Narrowing my eyes at the board, I turned to go find Phanta. Even if we weren’t getting along, I needed to tell her about our mission.

*****

                Phanta and I stood in the cafeteria facing away from each other. It was five minutes until we were supposed to leave and we still had no idea who our teammate was. I considered telling Phanta that we could make a sign to advertise ourselves to our teammate, but decided silence was best.

                Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

                Phanta started to tap her foot on the tile floor and just when I was about to stomp on it to cease that incessant sound, someone spoke.

                “So? What are you waiting for? I’ve been standing here for five minutes.”

                I whirled about to see the attractive villain who’d had to clean up the remains of Nessa’s sister. My eyes widened as I took in his black hair, straight nose, and slender yet still muscular form. Wait, he’d been there for five minutes? I exchanged a glance with Phanta before we realized what we were doing. Anaconda forgotten, I turned back to Phanta and glared at her profusely while she returned the favor.

                With a sigh, Phanta broke our contest and checked her watch. “Let’s go, it’s time anyway.”

                “Hey, wait, hold up!” a voice called out. We turned around to reveal someone I never thought I’d see again.

                “The clerk!?” I groaned as I saw who was coming up behind him. “Dad. What a pleasant surprise.”

                “Vertigo, this young man is to join your team. All the other teams are full and as my daughter I can expect you to take him into your team and befriend him. You will not hold your previous encounter against him.”

                “Yeah, yeah, like I’m going to listen to you. Traitor. Come on Clerk.” I grabbed his arm and pulled him from my father’s side.

                “Don’t you dare do anything to jeopardize the mission, Vertigo. Your anger at me isn’t misplaced, however you should know your duty to me and our great leader, Super Demon Baby.” His purple face was stern and serious.

                “Super Demon Baby is not my leader and never will be. I have no duty towards him and even less towards you. The moment you betrayed this base, me, everyone, you lost any claim to loyalty.” My voice was low and I could hardly form words for how much I wanted to clench my jaw and punch him, yet there was still a weight on my chest and a hope that this was all a lie. “Please Dad, please turn away from Super Demon Baby. He caused Nessa to lose her sister tonight. He will cause so much suffering in the world. My mission tonight is to steal from orphans! How can you follow someone like that?”

                “His vision for the world is unparalleled and I want to be a part of it. Now, off you go. You’re already five minutes late.” He smiled and made a shooing motion, just like he always did when I was nervous about a mission. That motion of absolute faith in me. My breath caught.

                “F-fine. Let’s go, guys.” I half ran through the doors and into the trap room, weaving my way to the elevator.

                “So that’s your father? Some crazy skin he’s got there,” Anaconda remarked from behind me. He promptly fell over and threw up.

                “Don’t mess with me.”



© 2012 selkietales


Author's Note

selkietales
Any review is a great review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the new attitude these girls are getting, especially Vertigo towards the end. I feel bad for the three of them though, it's a little weird to see them fighting. Of course, with the team split up now, maybe the fighting is just a taste of things to come... : ) I'm interested to see how these heroes and villains are going to work together now!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ahhhh so the Clerk from the store has a bigger role. I like how the team is starting to "grow up" persay. No more shenanigans for them I suppose. Also the tension between Vertigo and her father is great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the new attitude these girls are getting, especially Vertigo towards the end. I feel bad for the three of them though, it's a little weird to see them fighting. Of course, with the team split up now, maybe the fighting is just a taste of things to come... : ) I'm interested to see how these heroes and villains are going to work together now!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 15, 2012
Last Updated on June 15, 2012


Author

selkietales
selkietales

IA



About
Hi I'm Vivian Wallace and I'm 17 :) My friend Randi and I plan on becoming published authors, so we are working on our skills and just having fun by writing a silly super hero story together (S.H.O.V... more..

Writing
Beauty Beauty

A Story by selkietales