Job application of a poet

Job application of a poet

A Poem by Ashwin Shanker
"

Can a poet find a real job? But, what can stop him from trying right?

"

Dear sir/madam,

I was standing at life's crossroads

and found that you are looking for a man of ideas and words.


While searching for companies, I found

that yours made a connection and a unique bond.


Between the customer and client,

you make the golden bridge.

Pushing decisions of those

standing at the edge.

 

In my portfolio, you can find the poems & stories I made.

I make sure that whatever I create shall never fade.

 

I use the ideas that work for today's time and age.

I arrest their attention; they won't flip the page.


Without further adieu, please find my resume below

My internships, research materials and achievements shows,

that I shall be an asset to your creative force.


If you like my work, if you think I am right for your place.

Call me for an interview; we can meet face to face.



I look forward to hearing from you.

© 2017 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
I work at an advertising agency. This is something that I have actually written while applying for companies. Though none of them reverted to this bizarre poem. I hope now that I can use it to amuse you all, my friends.
Hope you had fun reading this. Please do share your thoughts below.

P.s. No copyrights on this one. Feel free to use this whenever you are out looking for a job.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

As I only write to "entertain", I enjoyed this tongue in cheek job application. Advertising relies on creative minds and unique approaches, and this fits those criteria..But.....these days, job applications are rarerly even acknowledged unless they are successful.







Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Norman Sir, And yes, what you said is correct, which is why this poem wasn'.. read more



Reviews

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Initially, I was attracted to the title because I plan on entering the terrifying world of publication. Please offer any advice in this avenue for I am bound to psych myself out before I submit my work. There is also the torturous wait for call backs after job applications that I am currently going through as well.

CONTENT AND FORMAT

Frankly, I do not have much experience with advertising agencies, but this poem made me chuckle; it eased my stressed mind. The speaker maintains confidence throughout his "application." It is such a clever way to express any frustrations the writer will have with filling out standard applications. I find it draining and repetitive.

The narrator is consistent with his pleasant demeanor. He does not come across as egotistical or forceful despite his confidence that I admire. He possesses humility and humbleness that I would have thought it would interest companies. I feel that this would work more so for college scholarships since job applications are standard and strict.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Overall, I enjoyed the humor for this subject matter. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Vria P Crow

7 Years Ago

Oh, I have already browsed your profile, adding some to the reading list that I can never seem to fi.. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Haha... Yes, I have seen that you have done so... All the best with that list of yours... I will dro.. read more
Vria P Crow

7 Years Ago

haha Thank you. Take your time with it. Have a wonderful day!
Lovely and cute, not sure if the big knobs of corporate world would get it cos they only deal in figures!! Great lines, clever and witty!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for the review. You would be suprised to know that the big knobs often .. read more
andrew mitchell

7 Years Ago

Not where I work!!The only writings they are familiar with is a letter to you, you're redundant cos .. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Whoa.... That is sad to hear Andrew... Thank god the marketing industry here have a sense of humour .. read more
Nice! I like how you 'business-tized' the art of poetry, lol. Very unique.. It's something that grips our mind and imagination(and even our soul), and tries to "sell us" to share with the rest of the world! Truly, our poetry has the potential to 'sell itself'!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

' Business-tized' huh? hehe... Yes bro, for the sake of landing a job in a country where 1000's appl.. read more
This is actually an excellent way to apply for companies...
I too want to work in some good company in future and I will definitely use this work of yours, obviously not the copy but I will be adding some more .... Just getting inspired by this one.. I mean, I will be using your way and not your writing...
It's nice to read an interesting and unique work... really very good...
Anindita : )

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Hey Anindita,
You may take this work of mine while applying for companies but...
'20.. read more
Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

Yep...
I'll let you know once I head up to that extent... For jobs...
Keep writing, ye.. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Exactly. I think you have a lot of time in your hands to prepare. :)
Wow! This was witty and really fun to read. I love how you wrote around this subject with nicely blended humor and seriousness. This put a smile on my face.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Glad that you found the poem to be interesting :) Thank you for the review Chrys Marie :)
This is cute. Can a poet find a real job? Well, the advertising agency is a great place to work for a poet....I did that for many years myself. I liked the rhyming in this. Lydi*

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

oH WOW. That is so amazing. Which agency did you work for? How long?
I am happy that you lik.. read more
Lydia Shutter

7 Years Ago

A small one in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We made signs, brochures, and business cards. It was the .. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Wow, that is so amazing. Even I enjoy my work a lot. I see my work as a storyteller than an advertis.. read more
Hello Ashan,

I took some notes as I read.

While searching for companies, I found
that yours [made] a connection and a unique bond.

I look forward to doing some great work with you. *delete the first 'great'

Other than the above, I think you have written this very well. It is very poetic in nature, and I love the topic. I can see how using a poem to apply for an advertising job would be most beneficial. It is very creative, yet not mundane in any form. Nicely done!

Thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,

Schatzi



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Wow... Thanks for telling me that Schatzi...
Many a times, I am at conflict with my own crea.. read more
Schatzi

7 Years Ago

Just keep doing what you are doing!
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Yes, I will... Thanks Schatzi
Whoa! It was indeed something new I came across and well made my day! A 100/100 from me for your efforts.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Hi Anjali,
Happy to know that you loved this one. if it made your day wow. Your review made .. read more
i think you have an extra word in the last line...but i like this concept a lot...it is inventive.

If you need a reference!!!!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for catching that Jacob. Went over my mind... and others too I guess... Whomsoever read th.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

oh yes, as i said...great concept...and follow through of it...

j.
That would be great to use in a job relevant, really like this, witty and wise :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I did put to good use while I was searching for a job, though none of the agencies responded to this.. read more
Ruth

7 Years Ago

Not so much a laugh but smile, I liked it as art as well as a promising, poetic intro :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1959 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 13, 2016
Last Updated on January 10, 2017

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Webbed Webbed

A Poem by Saumya