Discovery of creativity

Discovery of creativity

A Poem by Ashwin Shanker
"

Fighting back writer's block

"


I woke up dreamless from thoughts that kept my eyes open,

conjured all the strength I had and rolled up another one.

The sun was rising, ever so slowly above the taller buildings in front of me.

With the rush sinking in, the poet awakens, the critic goes to sleep within me.


The morning quiet deafens my ears but clears my mind.

Words seem to flow smoothly before my eyes.

Not Shakespeare, not Thoreau, even Hemingway won’t suffice.

I would be writing the most sublime piece of work anyone would find.

 

My thoughts flow freely like the rings of smoke escaping my mouth.

From the dull light of the sun, my mind soared above the confines of the wall.

No use of expressions tangled, no set of words cluttered.

My fingers obeyed peacefully to those lines my mind dictated.

 

I lay down the final passage of my prose with a titanic climax.

I raised my hands up and danced in absolute euphoria.

I let the beat possess me with its rhythm.

Like a ragdoll, I jerked my body like it’s the dawn of new millennia.

 

© 2016 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
This poem is about how I used the power of THC to get through Writer's block.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Here you dont compare creativity to any gigartuan talent but seem to say what it is simply, yes, its the will n power to express oneself through thoughts and I like the last para a lot, and the whole poem seems to convey a dancing movement indeed. Well-written. Good work What is THC?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Suchita



Reviews

Here you dont compare creativity to any gigartuan talent but seem to say what it is simply, yes, its the will n power to express oneself through thoughts and I like the last para a lot, and the whole poem seems to convey a dancing movement indeed. Well-written. Good work What is THC?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Suchita
I really like this write Ashan. Your creative word play and descriptive writing made me want to dance. I especially love these lines...( My fingers obeyed peacefully to those lines my mind dictated.) Very poetic! ~Sharon



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by Miss Sharon. Please do have a look at my other works and let me know your .. read more
I must be tough on reviews now. As with all other reviews, if i see something wrong, I will will tell you which line and what I would do to fix it.
starting with line line 1 and 2.
"To wake up dreamless from thoughts that kept my eyes open."
"I conjured all the strength I had and rolled up another one."
These two lines seem connected even though you used a period. I would change the period on line 1 into a comma, or change the first "To" into "I".
"The last line that says: Like a ragdoll, I jerked my body like if it’s the dawn of new millennia."
I would remove the word "If" as it seems to be a dead word in the sentence.
All together, this is a great work, and it is twice as good as the ones that I wrote about writing. It was hard to say, but needed to be said. 100/100 from me. Cheers :-)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much William. I have made the changes that you have suggested. Thank you for pointing t.. read more
Ashan,
This is the one that blew me away, in particular. It's beautiful. It really captures the essence of creativity...and what a creative piece it is! This represents all of us creative peoples, gives me the spirit to keep on writing! Thank you Ashan! Well done my friend.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
Ashan,
I am 62 years old and quit using smoke and drink when I was 26 years old. During that time I didn't write much but I am aware of the creative potential of THC. Everybody to their own but now I use my own life's experiences to give me material for my writing. Music also stimulates my creativity.
Having said that I enjoyed your poem and think you are a talented writer. Creativity comes from vast sources and as you grow as a writer I am sure you will experience your own different sources.
Richie b.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Using THC as a muse to launch creative thoughts has been on for generations. I wanted to address tha.. read more
That's really creative!
The flow of the poem goes on flawlessly...
Creativity is within every soul

Yes, you wrote the most sublime piece of work...
Kudos!
It really inspired me



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Tazeen. Glad to know that it has inspired you... If you have written someth.. read more
Tazeen Ahmed

7 Years Ago

You're very welcome, you could try checking out my works as per your choice!
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Okay, I will do that :)
Great job on your poem. Creativity is great . I could use some pointers on nine from this .

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you Nicky for the review. What pointers are you planning to use from this?
I find the more you read the less writer's block as the mind is exercised, and stimulated by other's ideas, views or events. or just a good read of fiction stimulates the thoughts to produce. Nice work Ashan.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I completely agree with you Andrew. I read across topics to stimulate my creative juices. I also day.. read more
Amazing poetry Ashan.
"I lay down the final passage of my prose with a titanic climax.
I raised my hands up and danced in absolute euphoria.
I let the beat possess me with its rhythm.
Like a ragdoll, I jerked my body like if it’s the dawn of new millennia."
I liked the thoughts on writing and the above lines. Words can come easy or hard. We must write. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote !! Really motivating words you have given me.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I'm glad and you are welcome.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

911 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 13, 2016
Last Updated on December 28, 2016

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Evil The Evil

A Poem by Taz