Training the Beast

Training the Beast

A Chapter by ShaunMosley

    The training yard behind his family home, that stood overlooking Deep Creek Lake, was filled with the sounds of birds chirping and the partially frozen leaves crackling under Jeremiah's feet.  November in Maryland was generally chilly and today was no exception. The brilliant colors of autumn spread for miles around the forested hilltops that were visible from the Manning estate.     The wind was blowing the strands of his dark brown hair on his sun darkened skin.  He was beyond handsome, his bold features and piercing green eyes provoked even the hottest girls to throw themselves at him.  Jeremiah's sensei Master Shoo was already waiting for him when he had approached the fence surround the yard .  Shoo had been Kevins sensei as well.  He had worked for the family for almost 20 years and had come to the USA from Japan when it was decided that Kevin's name would be entered into the electoral pool.  
    "Good morning sensei!" Jeremiah exclaimed when he approached the old man.  
    "You are late again, Jeremiah san" Shoo replied coldly.  Jeremiah knew he wasn't late, but if you weren't ten minutes early to Master Shoo, you might as well have been.  Shoo was a very strict man.  He was a former Naval commander of the Asian Fleets when Jeremiahs father was the American Ambassador living in China, that is how they met.  Shoo was detrimental in stopping the invasion of Euro-Russia into  China; the capital of the Republic of the Asian States.  "
    "Are you ready for today's training?" Shoo asked mischievously as though he were keeping a secret.
"Oh yeah..let's do this," Jeremiah shouted!
    "Good, I'm glad to see you so motivated today Jeremiah san," Shoo grinned before adding today will be your toughest training yet."
       Jeremiah pulled the sleeves of his Gui up from his wrists and eyed the three fighters who began circling around him.  Christof, Julian, and Michael had been hired the to help him train.   Utilizing the concentration techniques he had learned while in Tibet, Jeremiah cleared his mind and controlled his breathing to a rhythm that was fluid with the movements of his attack.  
    As the first warrior struck at him with a staff, Jeremiah escaped the blow , ducked and planted his hand on the ground, then spun around and channeled all of his power into an exploding  kick  that swept the feet from underneath his assailant who landed violently on his back.
     From the corner of his eye he saw the next insurgent rushing him and immediately sprang up while still spinning and viciously kicked him in his face sending him twisting and flying backwards; blood sprayed from his opened mouth and he collapsed to the ground unconscious.  With the speed of a jungle cat the third attacker lunged at Jeremiah and grabbed him around his waist taking him to the ground.  As they struggled for advantage the massive attacker rained bone breaking punches into his ribs.
    "Pay attention Jeremiah" Shoo yelled from the sidelines.  Crippling pain pumped adrenaline and a sense of urgency through Jeremiah who instinctively rolled to his side.  Using his momentum he redistributed his weight then rolled again to his back and skillfully executed an arm bar; almost breaking his opponent's arm at the elbow.  A volcano of pain erupted on the face of the the third fighter.  He "tapped out" immediately; signalling his defeat.  Master Shoo was nodding his approval and doing something  he never had before;  smiling.  At 6'1",220 lbs and only 18 years old Jeremiah was a a man-child.  Shoo secretly had nicknamed him "The beast".  Though he would never admit that to Jeremiah.  
    "You fought very well today Jeremiah" Master Shoo said praisingly
    "Thank you sensei, but to be honest it wasn't that difficult." Jeremy said hoping he sounded convincing and trying not to grimace from pain.  
Master Shoo gave a patronizing "mmm-hhm" and then pointed to the spot on Jeremiahs side that had already showed signs of bruising and a protruding rib.  
    "When you can fight three men without being touched then you have achieved a great victory; for now don't let your head outgrow your brain!" Shoo chided
Jeremiah rubbed his hair in embarrassment and then started laughing himself.



© 2012 ShaunMosley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on December 25, 2012
Last Updated on December 26, 2012


Author

ShaunMosley
ShaunMosley

Baltimore, MD



About
I am a 33 year old small business owner. I am originally from Lexington Kentucky and currently residing in Baltimore, Maryland. I prefer reading and writing fiction, and other creative pieces. more..

Writing