A Journey Back in Time

A Journey Back in Time

A Chapter by ShaunMosley

    After passing through the garden he arrived at the foot of the temple stairs.  The sun was peeking over the horizon and glints of color splashed onto the ornate temple walls.  The monks would be gathering into the common room for the morning ritual.  As he had done so many times before Jeremiah climbed the steps and walked slowly into the monastery.  Everything was exactly as he remembered and an overwhelming sense of dejavous engulfed him as though he had walked backwards into time.  
    Being  in the sanctuary of Buddah with so many dedicated Bhikkhu filled Jeremiah with a quiet reverence.  While the rest of society had abandoned religion, the men of the Gelupga tradition had remained faithful for over three thousand years. So unlike the wretched world into which they were confined, these were men of humility, peace, and unity.  They forsook all forms of violence and protested the ownership of slaves.  Jeremiah's father had taken refuge at this monastery during the first invasion of Euro-Russia and had forged a relationship with the Dalai Lama amidst the tumultuous war. He spoke of the profound impact the experience had on his life and claimed it was the inspiration for entering Kevin and Jeremiah into the electoral pool.  When Jeremiah turned thirteen his father arranged for him to go to Tibet and study for two years.
      Meditating alongside the monks had opened Jeremiah's eyes to the travesties his people had suffered under President Johnson and compelled him to write to his father in disdain of the man charged with leading the country. The silence of wisdom speaks only to those who earnestly listen was his father's only response. Words that had seemed so ambiguous to a thirteen year old boy finally had found clarity.  This revelation made Jeremiah smile momentarily, before yet another revelation punched him in the face.  
    Sitting on a rolled out mat meditating along with the other monks was thirteen year old Jeremiah Manning.  Older Jeremiah gasped!  How could he be dreaming of himself from so long ago, and able to read his own mind.  Young Jeremiah was praying to Buddah for his brother Kevin's safety.  Kevin was fighting Johnson at that very moment, and young Jeremiah asking was for strength and protection for Kevin.
     Shutting off the thoughts of his younger self, Jeremiah braced himself when he saw Lama Guyatso walk into the sanctuary and approach his mat.  Without speaking Lama Guyatso tapped him lightly on the shoulder.  His bald head glared slightly from the rising son shining into the window.  The look on his compassion on his face betrayed the discretionary intent of his actions.  Jeremiah swelled with pain as he watched the younger Jeremiah look up from his meditation at the Dalai Lama.  Lama Guyatso then motioned young Jeremiah to follow him into the corner of the room, so they didn't disturb the observed silence of those still meditating.  Jeremiah silently mouthed the words, repeating them in his head in rhythm with Lama Guyatso and hearing them in his head in both voices simultaneously:
  "You must pack your things at once, your brother is dead, I am so sorry Jeremiah." They said in unison.
     Jeremiah could feel the pain growing inside of his younger self, in direct conflict with the anger of his older self.  Jeremiah had mourned his brother already, and now only vengeance existed where sadness once reigned.  I wish I could have seen my brother the day he died so I could see if there was something wrong,  and just like that he was back in Kansas City.  Except instead of being in his hotel room he was standing in front of his brother Kevin.  Kevin was having breakfast from the cart that had been brought to him by room service.  
    This had never happened in a dream before.  All Jeremiah did was tell himself where he wanted to be and when and he was transported to that very moment.  This must have been what Lama Guyatso had meant when he said he needed to discover what his abilities were for.  Jeremiah could channel through time.  He wanted to say that's impossible, but he couldn't.  There were too many instances where he had accidentally time channeled.  Something he had been thinking about before he fell asleep was usually how it happened.  But not this time.  This must have been what Lama Guyatso had meant when he said he needed to discover what his abilities were for.  Jeremiah could channel through time.  He wanted to say thats impossible, but he couldn't.  There were too many instances where he had accidentally time channeled.  Something he had been thinking about before he fell asleep was usually how it happened, but not this time.  Jeremiah was astounded at this discovery.  Is this what Lama Guyatso meant by dreamwalking?  That didnt matter right now though, all that mattered was he was with his brother again. 
    "Kevin, Kevin you're alive.  You're alive!" Jeremiah shouted excitedly.  But the excitement faded immediately when he realized Kevin couldn't hear him.   Kevin continued working on breakfast.  There was knock on the hotel room door.
"Just a minute," Kevin responded still chewing a piece of greasy bacon.  He quickly washed it down with some orange juice before then started towards the door.  Jeremiah looked at Kevin in dismay, surprised that his brother was shorter than he was now.  He remembered always thinking he was so big and strong and all the girls loved him.  He had idolized his brother his entire life, and mimicked his every move.  Kevin was the smoothest guy ever; larger than life itself.
When Kevin finally answered the door, Jeremiah's mouth dropped open.  It was Jessica, the Belvedere Concierge, and she was standing in the doorway in a bellman's uniform holding another small tray. 
"I am sorry to bother you Mr. Manning, but the kitchen forgot the powdered sugar for your pancakes," she said smiling. Jeremiah wondered if Kevin was thinking the same thing he was.  Knowing Kevin he certainly would be.  Jessica looked good, apparently in anything she wore.  Kevin flashed her his best smile and took the tray from her outstretched hands.  Kevin was a playboy.  He had a way with women Jeremiah never had.  Girls, liked Jeremiah he just never knew what to say to them.  Which is why he never made a move on Jade.  Kevin looked deep into Jessica's eyes and with his free hand he took hers.
"Thank you so much for bringing this up...checking for her name tag before adding...Jessica, would you care to stay and have breakfast with me?"
Jessica's cheeks grew pink, and she smiled shyly back at him before she reluctantly responded.  
"I am sorry, Mr. Manning, its a very sweet gesture and I would like to, but I am working right now."  She said still blushing.  Reaching into the pocket of her uniform, she pulled out an ink-pen and turned Kevin's hand she wrote on his palm. A surprised look spread over Kevin's face.  
"This is my phone number, she explained as she wrote,  I get off at 6 tonight  and I want you to call me then."  She was staring back into his eyes now and Kevin smiled in return. 
"I will call you at 6, but I wont be able to talk long...you see I am fighting Caidan Johnson tonight at 7:30." Kevin boasted. 
"Oh I know that already, Mr. President, and I am going to be your date." Jeremiah was shocked at what happened next.  She pulled Kevin close to her and and kissed him softly on the lips..."So you wont forget to call," she said, and then turned and left.
When the door slid closed, Kevin hesitated briefly and touched his lips, before walking back to his breakfast. He looked just as amazed as Jeremiah about what just happened.  Jeremiah wondered why Jessica never mentioned knowing his older brother when she checked him into the hotel.
"Wow" Kevin exclaimed!  "Who was that girl" he added and then sprinkled the powdered sugar onto his pancakes.  That's exactly what I want to know Jeremiah said to himself.  Something was definitely odd about Jessica, and Kevin for that matter.  After all who put powdered sugar on pancakes.  Why did she want to go with Kevin to the fight?  He decided to follow Jessica and if she was up to something. 
"Goodbye Kevin, I love you bro" Jeremiah said sadly.  And closed his eyes and thought of where Jessica might be.  And just as before the hotel room disappeared and Jeremiah was in the female employee's locker room.  Jessica was changing back into her street clothes.  She was standing in front of a locker, wearing only her uniform skirt and turquoise bra.
Jeremiah felt his blood getting hotter; she has exquisite breasts he thought to himself as she unzipped her skirt revealing a turquoise thong.  His face turned red, and he started breathing faster.  He had never seen a woman in her underwear before.  Certainly not any underwear like she was wearing.  He could feel his blood pulsing in his pants filling him.  He shook it off.  He couldn't get distracted now.  But wow she had an incredible body.  Her sun kissed tan left no lines on her body.    She reached inside her purse and pulled out a mobile video phone.  The screen was too small for Jeremiah to make out a face but he could make out the conversation if he listened closely. 
    "Is it done,?" a man's voice said on the other line.
    Jessica's held the video phone up to her face, careful not to reveal her half-naked body to the caller. 
    "Yes, I just left him, he'll have a hard enough time standing up tonight; much less fighting.
    "Very good Elizabeth.  Very, very good.  I'll make sure your promotion is announced by the end of the week."
    "Its a shame though, he was a great kisser and brutally cute, its too bad he's going to die before I could see what else he's good at."  she said seductively.
    "Better than me?"  The voice on the phone inquired with a hint of jealousy.
    "Nobody is better than you baby; the tone of her voice said she was lying but just trying to appease the man.
    "Good work, lets just hope the rest of our plan goes as smoothly," the man said eagerly
    "Oh, I am going with him to the fight tonight, so I'll make sure it does"  she replied still grinning.
    "That's exactly what I wanted to hear, Elizabeth,"  The voice said and then the line went silent.  Jeremiah watched with disgust as she placed the phone back in her purse.  He wanted to destroy her before she could hurt his brother if it wasn't already too late.      
Jeremiah was furious.  What had this damn woman planned to do to his brother.  He exhausted his memory trying to figure it out to no avail.  He had seen every second of their brief encounter.  All they had done was kiss and she wrote her phone number onto his hand, unless...that's when he realized it had to be the powdered sugar.  She must have drugged him.  But who would have put her up to it, and why would she agree to it.  A promotion was in store for her, but that wouldn't be enough if she got caught Jeremiah thought. and he called her Elizabeth, but he knew her  as Jessica.  What the hell was going on. 
    While she finished getting dressed Jeremiah focused on his brothers hotel room again.  If his theory was right he would be, the locker room disappeared and Jeremiah was in his brothers room.  He looked down at the breakfast tray.  All the food was gone and the powdered sugar was too.  No Kev No! was all he could think.  But what Jessica or Elizabeth or whatever her name was must have been wrong about him being sluggish because Kevin seemed like he was in the zone.  He looked so strong and determined to win his fight later that night and the air was thick with testosterone and confidence that was radiating from him.  Caidan Johnson should not have beaten him, and yet he did.  And Jeremiah finally knew how! 
"Don't worry Kevin" he said to his brother, who was now in the bathroom turning on the shower. "I will avenge you if its the last thing I do."  Jeremiah didn't know whose voice it was on the other end of the phone but his instincts, the deepest part of his being, suspected Johnson was behind it.




© 2013 ShaunMosley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

PROGRESSING QUITE WELL!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on January 3, 2013
Last Updated on January 6, 2013


Author

ShaunMosley
ShaunMosley

Baltimore, MD



About
I am a 33 year old small business owner. I am originally from Lexington Kentucky and currently residing in Baltimore, Maryland. I prefer reading and writing fiction, and other creative pieces. more..

Writing