Press Conference

Press Conference

A Chapter by ShaunMosley

Television news crews descended on the lawn in front of the large Victorian mansion that was the Stone family estate.  Police officers worked frantically to build barricades in an effort to control the onslaught of reporters hoping to be the first to get the scoop of what could potentially be the crime of the century.  An hour earlier 911 received a call from  Benjamin Stone, CEO of Stone Energy reporting that his daughter had been kidnapped.  Ginger, had returned to the house without Jade, a note attached to her saddle that read:
     We've got your daughter, and she'll stay alive as long as you do exactly what you are told.     The first of which is to hold a press conference at your house and tell the world she's been kidnapped.  We'll be in touch.
    Benjamin Stone and his wife Laura stood with Stan Lake, the head of the American Bureau of Investigation behind a pulpit  just beyond the police barricades.  Camera men and reporters were huddled together awaiting for the family to give a statement"
Benjamin looked somberly at his wife and gripped her hand lovingly, before turning back to the swarm of  media that had assembled in their front lawn.
    "I have called you all here to tell you that our daughter, Jade was kidnapped a few hours ago while riding her horse.  A picture of Jade was transposed on a digital screen in the background of the couple.  The only information we have so far is that she is alive.  We do not know yet the reason for her abduction.  If anyone has any information related to the whereabouts of our daughter please call the toll free number at the bottom of the screen behind us.  There will be a substantial reward for information that leads to her safe return.  That is all we know as of know.  Thank you all for coming out.
    As the couple turned to go back inside their home Laura turned to her husband.
"Please find her Ben, you've got to find her.  She stammered fighting back tears."
"Everything will be fine Laura, we'll get her back soon."  Ben replied unconvincingly
    As they entered their home Lake was still addressing the media.
    " The ABI is using all of its resources to locate the whereabouts of Jade Stone."  We have our most prolific kidnapping agents in the process of tracking her Chromo-Tag as we speak.  Due to the sensitive nature of this situation, we wont be able to answer any questions or tell you anything more than what we have already.  I  need you all to clear out of here while we investigate the property. We will update you further when we have more information."  
    Jade awoke with a throbbing headache.  She gently touched the back of her head with her hand and quickly jerked it away as pain radiated from  where a large knot had formed.  The last thing she remembered was riding Ginger, and then being forced by a group of cloaked men to get off the horse.  One of them must have hit her in the head and knocked her unconscious because she couldn't remember how she got to where she was now.  
    Tears filled her eyes as she tried to make out where she was being held.   It appeared to be a 10x10  room with cinder block walls and a concrete floor and ceiling.  A large iron door, no doubt locked from the outside, was the only way into or out of the room Jade could see.  Her head still felt very foggy and she was having a hard time concentrating on anything except the incessant pain from the lump on her head.  She feared she might have a concussion, but more than that she feared she would never go home.  Did they mean to kill her?  
    "Think rationally Jade" she said to herself .  If they wanted you dead you would be already."  Hearing herself say the words provided little comfort, however, because it left more questions than answers.    So what did they want...money?  It was no secret Jade Stone's family was one of the wealthiest in the US.  According to Wealth Magazine, Benjamin Stone, Jade's father, was the fourth wealthiest man in America.  If this truly was a kidnapping they would be demanding a ransom for her safe return.  She dreaded to think of what else they might want or take from her while she was their captive.  
    Fighting back tears, Jade suddenly became aware of noises just outside the room.  Craning her neck to listen through the iron door, she faintly heard what sounded like footsteps approaching along with two mens' voices.  Jade strained to interpret what they were saying to one another, but the iron door and concrete block walls made that nearly impossible.  As the voices and footsteps grew louder Jade instinctively backed as far away from the door as she could get.  The lock outside of the door clanked as if being turned and the heavy metal hinges creaked as it slowly opened.  Standing in the doorway was the large man who had demanded she leave Ginger and follow them.  In his hands he held a tray piled high with food and a glass of water.   
    "Good you are awake", he said in an accent that Jade thought sounded middle eastern.  "I apologize to you for any inconvenience you have suffered Ms. Stone, I assure you I detest violence."  However, my employer insisted that you be unaware of your present location.  It is to that end you now find yourself with a terrible headache.  By the way my name is Aahil."  
    "You are coward! Jade shouted and spat in his direction.  Only missing his dark boots by an arms length.  
    "Is that any way to treat your host Ms. Stone?  It is said that you are a very feisty woman, and I can see now that your reputation is well earned.  Perhaps if you would have won the nomination you could have defeated President Johnson.  Its too bad you wont get the chance to find out."  
    Sitting the glass of water and tray on the ground, Aahil turned and walked back out of the room.  The fogginess had faded from Jade's mind and the smell of freshly prepared bacon and waffles filled the small room reminding Jade she had missed breakfast.  

The news of Jade Stone's kidnapping was on every major network since the story first broke.  Jeremiah was packing some clothes into his auto-plane for the trip to Kansas City, when his mother had rushed out to the driveway to tell him what had happened. 
"Jeremiah, Jeremiah, she cried frantically, come in the house quick...its Jade, she's been kidnapped!" 
"What!? " Jeremiah asked in disbelief. 
    Jeremiah dropped his garment bag on the ground, and rushed into the house.  What he saw made him drop into the chair in front of the multiplex.  At least a dozen news reporters were standing in front of the Stone's house broadcasting that the daughter of Benjamin Stone and one of the front runners for the Democratic Nomination had been kidnapped earlier that morning.  Jeremiah watched as they replayed the commentary from Benjamin Stone's press conference on the six adjacent screens simultaneously.
    After replaying the broadcasts a couple of times, Jeremiah touched the screen on the multiplex converting it to a video phone. 
    With a simple voice command, Laura Stone's face appeared on the multiplex that was now one large image.
"Mrs. Stone, its Jeremiah, I'm so sorry to hear what happened.  Have you heard anything yet?"
"Mrs. Stone's face was stained with tears, her cheeks and eyes were slightly swollen, and smeared mascara was proof she had been crying a long time."
"All we have is a note so far, just as she was describing the note, Mr. Stone and Stan Lake the Deputy Director of the A.B.I joined her.
"Hello Jeremiah, Mr. Stone said ruefully, thank you for calling.  Unfortunately, we don't have any updates yet."
"I was packing for Kansas City when mom came running out and told me to come inside and watch the news. I am so very sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Stone.  Let me know if there is anything I can do." 
Just as he was finishing his sentence.  Stan Lake interjected himself into the conversation.
"Mr. Manning, I am Stan Lake with the A.B.I, I know you and Ms. Stone are acquaintances.  Would you be willing to come down to Virginia and maybe give us some background on some of her other associations or friends." 
"Uh- yeah I can do that.  I don't know how helpful I can be seeing that Jade and I only really ever spoke to one another at the debates or the academic contests.  But if you think it would be helpful...sure."  Jeremiah replied.
"Excellent, how about giving us a call back when you reach Alexandria.  I don't think you coming here would be a great idea in case the media caught wind of it.  But I would be happy to meet you nearby."  Lake said
"okay, I am on my way now. I will call you back when I get close" Jeremiah said abruptly cutting off the video call. 
    It was only a short flight from the mountains in Western Maryland to Northern Virginia where the Stone's family estate was located.  However, it did give Jeremiah adequate time to reflect on Jade's kidnapping.   The election was days away, why would someone pick now to kidnap one of the favorites to win.  Maybe they weren't after a ransom after all.  Maybe someone was making sure that Jade wasn't in Kansas City when the voting started.



© 2013 ShaunMosley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 5, 2013
Last Updated on January 5, 2013


Author

ShaunMosley
ShaunMosley

Baltimore, MD



About
I am a 33 year old small business owner. I am originally from Lexington Kentucky and currently residing in Baltimore, Maryland. I prefer reading and writing fiction, and other creative pieces. more..

Writing