Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck, Part 5

Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck, Part 5

A Story by Shelley Warner

It is December 2019 and John is taking my grandkids and me to a Christmas celebration with his extended family.  He points out the passenger window of his red ford truck and says, “You will see Mt. Rainier in just a minute.” And then it comes into view. It rises above the Washington woods, spectacular to see, spotlighted by sunshine that shines upon the white snow covering it. Across the front, stretches a long thin cloud. “Look at that cloud,” I exclaim, “it’s like a ribbon going across the mountain.” 


Later, at the party, I sit with John’s sister Nora, who was my friend when I was fourteen. I am glad that we reconnected with each other on Facebook after more than fifty years. I am glad that she brought John (my first boyfriend) into my life. I tell her about the mountain and the cloud. “That’s called a lenticular cloud,” she tells me. She pulls out her phone and looks it up on the internet. Yes, that is just what I’d seen. “That is so cool,” I tell her. Later, I look up the formations. Often they look like UFO’s, but they can stretch like a long ribbon.


It’s a good party. Lots of food. Lots of people in John’s life. Lots of kids. At one point,  I sit and talk with John’s daughter. We admire a photo of her as a small child with her mom. She tells me they were best friends.  “I’m glad you’re in my dad’s life,” she says. “I don’t want him to be alone.”


“Wow, that means a lot. I know how much you loved your mom.” (It had been two years since she died of pancreatic cancer.)


Whenever I think of that day, my heart is happy that John took us to meet his family.  I remember the beautiful mountain on the way there. I  remember the  lenticular clouds gift wrapping Mt. Rainier and I remember the  gift wrapping around that day.

© 2021 Shelley Warner


Author's Note

Shelley Warner
One of our first adventures together

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh wow... the lenticular clouds sound like a glory to behold! What an experience it must have been. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Once again, you've reminded me of one of my most favorite places on earth. Mount Rainier... ah, beautiful mountain. But the beer... not so much. Well, it's not bad. The family gathering warms my heart, especially since such things never occur in my life anymore. (Broken, scattered, or deceased--there are few of us available) So glad John had that truck.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Samuel. Yes, Moount Rainier is beautiful. I'm sorry you've lost a lot of your .. read more
It's great to feel loved and accepted by all. I enjoyed it.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you. I love writing about my special times with my boyfriend. So gad he came into my life.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 22, 2021
Last Updated on July 22, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..