Mushroom Pie

Mushroom Pie

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

A short story about mushroom pie and memories

"

I’m eating a leftover piece of mushroom pie this morning and with it, I’m having memories. The first time I had mushroom pie was in the upstairs apartment of a young couple in the rural, logging and potato farming town of Ashland, Maine. We had come from the Pacific Northwest to this little town in Northern Maine, near the Canadian border, to be a part of church that Tom had been invited to pastor.  Alongside the highway that led to other places from Ashland, grew evergreens, fireweed, ferns (that people picked “fiddle heads” from in the spring), birch trees, and a multitude of other deciduous trees that turned brilliant hues in the fall.


This young couple, who had invited us to dinner, had also just recently moved to Ashland.  He was a doctor, and in exchange for payment of his education expenses, he’d agreed to serve the community. The pie was made in the form of a turnover with a savory filling of chopped mushrooms, onions, a little egg, parsley, garlic, and thyme. The crust was made with flour, butter, and cream cheese. I asked for the recipe and started making it, in the form of a pie, for special occasions.


Corina was just a little girl of two or three at the time, so she grew up with mushroom pie. She had come to us from Cacutta, India shortly after we moved to Ashland. The church held a fund raising dinner to help us with the adoption expenses. They welcomed her joyfully when we returned from a trip to Boston, where we received her at the Logan International Airport. I kept her with me in the teen Sunday school class that I taught and the teens took turns holding her. As she grew bigger, I carried her on my hip at church and the children came up and tickled her feet.  The Ashland church holds a special place in my heart. Tom sang, played his guitar, taught and preached, and visited families who opened their hearts and homes to us. 


There have been a lot of holidays, since our time in Ashland, that included mushroom pie. Corina and I liked it more than the rest of the family did; so it was our special thing to share. She makes it for herself and her adventuresome, loving husband Ethan. I texted her yesterday and told her I was making it. “I’ll save you a piece,” I said. She’s coming over today to relax with us while her husband is gone camping. I am thankful to be living near my daughter now. She is a joy and she has been a comfort in the loss of my husband six years ago. I moved to Washington, with my son’s two children, which I’m raising, in October. I needed to be near her and Ethan, near my mom and brothers, and near John, my love, who takes me for rides in his red ford truck. I am thankful to be here and  I am also thankful for the memories that mushroom pie brings to me.

 

© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

My Navy travels never took me to Maine, but I worked with many from that state and always thought I'd like to visit it. This very well-written story (memoire?) is uplifting and vivid in it's imagery. I've never had a mushroom pie, but love those marvelous fungi and am pretty sure I'd like them inside a buttery crust. Do you bake or fry them? Mother made what she called "fried pies", but they were always filled with fruit--peach or apricot, usually.
I think it's common for certain things to remind us of special times in the past. To this day, I can't hear Elton John's "tiny Dancer" without thinking of my petite first wife. (Before things went sour) Muscadine preserves makes me remember Mother.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. I like that you said my story is uplifting and vivid in imagery. I ba.. read more
Your mushroom pie makes my mouth water. I am sure it must be delicious. This was a lovely story and I thank you for introducing your readers to those you love. So you are raising your son's two children and I know how demanding that can be. We have raised my daughter's three children. Hard work, but a blessing to us. Thank you Shelley.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Yes, raising grandchildren can be a challenge.It's nice that we have that in common. My granddaughte.. read more
A truly beautiful story. I love when people name and base their writing off of foods or smells that bring them back memories. The way you described everything was so nostalgic and heartfelt. A very inspiring piece. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you. I really appreciate your comments about the description of food and surroundings.
What a beautiful story Shelley, thank you so much for sharing it with us here in the community.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 24, 2021
Last Updated on July 24, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw