Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck

Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Our latest adventure, August 29, 2021

"

John and I take off with my granddaughter and drive to a nearby site-- Mossyrock Dam. We get out and walk along a tree-lined trail, posing for a photo in front of the massive concrete structure. “Can you imagine the work that went into that?” John remarks. “So much concrete!” I agree. Such high walls. What a huge undertaking.

 

We climb back into his red ford truck and drive on down the highway, noting cows, horses, old barns, and tall bleached out dead trees, spreading their skeletal limbs to the sky. A sign points down the road to “Cooper Wedding”. More signs point to the wedding as we drive along. “Let’s crash the wedding,” I joke. John and I laugh, but Faith, in the back seat, protests. “No, we’re not crashing the wedding,” she says.

 

“Maybe they’ll still have cake,” John suggests.

 

“Yeah, we won’t even pretend to know them,” I say. “We’ll just say, ‘Hi. We saw your signs and thought we’d stop and congratulate you.’ Maybe they’ll offer cake.” Finally, the signs point down a country road. We decide to drive past, at least, and see the venue.


 Lines of cars meet us coming. “We’re too late,” John laughs. “Everyone’s leaving.” Faith, in the back seat, expresses relief. We turn back to John's Mossyrock home  and let the dogs out (his white fluffy Pomeranian named Abby and my rambunctious terrier named Baxter). As we sit on a bench on his deck, overlooking trees and mountains, watching our dogs, we laugh over Faith’s concern that we really were going to crash a wedding. We almost wish we had though. It was a fun adventure in John’s red ford truck.

 

© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ha! I love it when the grandchildren think the adults are misbehaving. That brought a smile to my face. What a tease you are Shelley. Loved your outing. I was in the backseat too with Faith. Have a lovely day.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your fun review. I had fun writing that. And when I read it to John this past weekend,.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
1 Review
Added on August 30, 2021
Last Updated on August 30, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing