Home Away from Home

Home Away from Home

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Another adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

"

It’s Friday, January 28, and the kids are at their aunt’s and uncle’s house. John has picked me up in Camas and we’re taking a scenic route on our way to his place in Mossyrock. We turn off Hwy 500 onto Hwy 503 N and drive down a two lane, tree lined road. I see fir trees standing tall with broken off limbs covered in green moss, like amputated arms dressed in green sweaters.

 “I just saw a falcon in the top of a tree,” I say.

“I saw a bald eagle the other day,” he replied. “Two crows were chasing it.”

“They are so brazen,” I answer. “They think they’re bigger than they are.”

“Yeah, they gang up on the eagles. They are really smart too. One time, I watched a crow drop a nut to break it open.”

“How did it do that?”

“It sat at the top of a pole and dropped it to the pavement below. Then he flew down and picked it up. He brought it back to the top of the pole and dropped it again. He did this several times until it broke open.”

We have another scenic drive the next day, this time to Ashford, Washington  to spend some time with Tom, his son-in-law, at his cabin. John and Tom have spent a lot of time fixing up the cabin together, a shared hobby. They’ve redone the beams and walls, changed the staircase, added a new kitchen and bathroom. It looks great, decorated with moose and bear decorations.  Tom is six foot two; he towers over John, who is tall himself. He offers us drinks and John has a Dr. Pepper. He’s diabetic, so he doesn’t get his favorite drink very often, but he makes an exception for the occasion. I have a seven up. We watch a couple movies. I look out the window at the trees. “I love seeing the trees outside,” I say.

“Yeah there used to be a lot more,” Tom replies.

I laugh. “Yes, I know you and John took out a bunch. You now have a lifetime supply of firewood.” We all laugh. The shed outside is full to capacity and firewood is stacked up on the front deck as well.

I comment that we didn’t see any wildlife on our way. Tom gets up to put some wood in the stove. “Look out the window,” he says.  There, a deer stops a few feet from the cabin window and looks in at us. Another deer walks ahead of it. I’m happy to be close to nature, even though we’re inside. Tom puts some potatoes in the microwave to bake and broils some steaks. We enjoy the delicious dinner, followed by bowls of chocolate ice cream.

Shortly after, we head back to Mossyrock, an hour’s drive. As we get closer, I note landmarks, a bridge over the Cowlitz River, then Mayfield Lake, the little shops and restaurants in Mossyrock, and finally the lavender colored house that signals we are almost to John’s home. I feel euphoric. It feels like my home away from home. And it’s where John is. It has been another adventure in John’s red ford truck.

 

 

 

© 2022 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love adventures. I take my grandchildren on adventures now. Good to seek the unknown. They love to seek odd places and the great lakes. I enjoyed the story dear Shelley. Toda cold and chilly in Michigan. Me and the grandchildren need a big adventure. Thank you dear friend for sharing the amazing story and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and may you get unburied from snow and have a great adventure some place.
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Won't be long dear Shelley and you are welcome my friend.
What a pleasant day that was. Grilled steaks, beautiful fauna, and a lovely little deer to grace the gathering--I'd say that was perfect. Oh, yeah, and that chocolate ice cream.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

It sure was. Thanks for reading.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 2, 2022
Last Updated on February 2, 2022

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Touch Touch

A Poem by Melissa