A Cool and Misty Day

A Cool and Misty Day

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Another Adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

"

It’s a cool and misty day on February 19, 2022 as we pull out of John’s driveway in the mountain town of Mossyrock, Washington for a nature drive. I’m in the passenger seat and Faith and Zach are settled in the back seat with their bags of snacks. We head down a country road, noting pine trees covered in green velvet. Ferns grow everywhere, even on top of the green velvet moss that has covered a low hanging pine branch. Other trees are draped in feathery, cream colored moss, hanging low to the ground.


 “I’ve got a pond and a lake to show you,” John tells us. “It might be a little swampy.”


“I like swampy and I like cool, misty days like today. It adds a spooky ambience to the scenic views,” I answer.


We arrive at Swofford Pond and pull off the road. “Is that a crane I see over there?” I ask, pointing to some woods by the pond. “It’s so still, it could just be a stump.”


“Yes, stumps can look like all kinds of things,” John replies. He pulls off the road to get a better look. Faith and Zach get out with my phone to photograph the pond and trees.

 Just then, our “stump” rises up and flies across the water, its long black neck stretched forward. “Look at that!” I exclaim. “It was a crane after all.” The kids come back and we exit our parking spot between two tall birch trees and head down the road again.


We arrive at a campground bordering Mayfield Lake and pull into the parking lot to get a good view. “Look at that pretty blue lighthouse out there,” I proclaim. “I love lighthouses.”

“That’s a tiny island,” John informs us. He points to a bridge on the trees that lead to it. The kids get out and Faith photographs the lighthouse.

 As we leave the campground, we see three small log cabins. “They’re so cute! I want to stay in one with you,” I tell John.

“I’d probably bump my head on the ceiling,” he laughs.

We drive to Centralia to pick up a Papa Murphy’s pizza. Driving home on another scenic route, the sky is almost dark and the mist settles on the trees. “I feel so mellow,” I remark. “I almost feel like I’m on something.”

Zach asks, “Did you take a CBD mint that Dad gave you?”

“No,” I answer, “that was just in case I have trouble sleeping. It’s just the beauty of nature makes me feel euphoric.” I think about John Denver singing about feeling a high just from being in the mountains. In time, we pass over the Cowlitz River, signaling that we’re almost home. It’s been a wonderful adventure in John’s red ford truck.

© 2022 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The imagery was great, and the story was full of warmth. Fun times with the family are the best!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Karen and for the review. It caused me to re-read it which was fun for me.
KAREN

2 Years Ago

You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 26, 2022
Last Updated on February 26, 2022

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing