The Marlboro Man

The Marlboro Man

A Poem by Shelley Warner
"

I wrote this poem five years ago after watching my grand kids play at a park, and seeing what looked like the Marlboro Man. It came up in my facebook memories today.

"

I saw the Marlboro Man one spring day,

long and lean,

a bushy mustache adorning his bronzed face,

attired in black cowboy hat, chaps, denim jacket, jeans.

Was he sitting atop his stallion,

a Marlboro hanging from his lips?

Or riding at break-neck speed in a rodeo?

Or tossing hay from his pickup to his cows?

No, he sat on a park bench as children darted about a playground.

I tried not to stare at the handsome cowboy,

so weather beaten, so earthy,

so tough, yet

tender with a pink-dressed baby girl nestled in his arms.

© 2023 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your poem is a touching and vivid portrayal of a chance encounter with the Marlboro Man, a cultural icon known for his rugged masculinity and tough-guy image. The use of sensory details, such as the bushy mustache and the weather-beaten appearance of the cowboy, creates a clear and vivid mental image of the man. The contrast between his tough exterior and his tender interaction with the baby girl in his arms is particularly striking, and adds a layer of complexity and depth to the portrayal of the Marlboro Man.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Shelley Warner

9 Months Ago

Thank you Bhuyanshi. You've captured what I was trying to portray in this poem.
you depict a lovely scene; one that surprised me at the end, but cuddly and warm, which you might not expect from a Marlboro Man.... vivid images of him and well chosen words.....I remember the billboards of the Marlboro Man, young and handsome always on a horse...but you portray him now as an older version with a grandchild in his lap..... a real polarity... of the same person....nice!!!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for the review.
That might have been me out there. Oh wait, nope, you said "handsome". (laughing) But I still wear my cowboy hat, jeans and boots and I do have a rather bushy mustache. A young girl started flirting with me one day back when I was single and I told her. You're a sweet kid but my boots are older than you. It seemed to make her mad. But it was true. Maybe she was on the lookout for a "sugar daddy". Boy, was she coondogging the wrong tree. (laughing) I enjoyed the read.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

LOL, that was a good line about the cowboy boots being older than her.
almost made me picture Robert Redford in The Horse Whisperer.
Good to be able to still look good with age.
Do you have a cigarette?

Posted 1 Year Ago


Shelley Warner

1 Year Ago

LOL, no he didn't have a cigarette. Now I'll have to watch The Horse Whisperer again.
jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

that movie is certainly worth a second look, Shelley.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 16, 2023
Last Updated on March 16, 2023

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing