The Simple Life

The Simple Life

A Story by busymommy04

The Simple Life

Growing up in Northampton County is great.  Life has been simple and easy so far, even though it's going to be easy anyway seeing as how I'm only 12 years old.  I moved here with my mom, dad and little sister Mary Ann when I was 6.  I didn't like it at first because I left my friends behind in South Carolina along with my school and favorite teachers.  My new school is growing on me, and the teachers are wonderful.  The classes are pretty small so it allows the teachers to give each of there students one-on-one attention.  I met some cool new friends at school who lives in my neighborhood that share the same passion as I do, BASEBALL.
 
We love baseball so much we play it everyday after school and homework.  My father taught me how to play, and its now one of my favorite things to do.  After I finished my homework, my dad and I would go out to the front yard and he would show me the proper way to throw the ball.  And then he would place the ball on a piece of 2x4 he hammered into the ground and make me hit the ball til it flew far.  I hope to one day become the next Babe Ruth and become rich! Pretty soon my practice in the front yard turned into a complete game across the yard in the field with the guys in the neighborhood.  We chose my father to coach the team.

POP...I hit the ball, "Run...Run son!" My father yelled as I dropped the bat and took off running.

  Alright, first base come on Thomas you can do it get there.  I thought to myself as I made my way to first base.  The ball is still being chased so I have to keep running.

  Made it to first base now get to second base Thomas, quick let's go! Got it, now it's time to get to third base.  Come on baby, we almost home I can do this.

  Got to third base and looked around to see one of the guys just picked up the ball so it's time to get going.

  Almost home Thomas get there, get there..."Yes yes! home run baby, I did it!" I screamed as the guys all picked me up and cheering me on for winning the game.  "I'm proud of you son, I really am.  You seem to be getting faster and faster every time you play.  Keep this up and you'll be going pro, great job son!" My father said as he hugged me.  It's good to know my father shares the same dreams and passions for me as I do.  Playing baseball sure makes time go by and makes me hungry.  Dinner should be done soon I hope.  My father and I walked to the front porch so we can sit down and soak in the great game we just had.

"Dinner is ready." Ma calls out from the kitchen.  I open the front door to the sweet aroma of pork chops, collard greens, yams, mac n' cheese and cornbread. Ooh, my favorite! I go into the kitchen and try to sneak a piece of cornbread only to have my hand slapped. "Ow...Don't you even dare Thomas.  Now go outside and tell Mary Ann to come in so you all can wash up and get ready to eat.  "Yes ma'am."  I said as I made a run for the front door.

I don't have to worry about trying to find out where Mary Ann is because everyday she's by the stables tending to Sally, my sisters' horse.  I've never seen such a beautiful animal in my life.  Such a powerful black horse with legs that look like she can run Mary Ann into the sunset all day and never get tired.  Her Long black shiny mane blows in the wind as Mary Ann brushes it.  "Mary Ann, Ma is ready for us to come eat supper so let's lock Sally up."  This is the part I love everyday because this is the only time I can get close to Sally, and not have to worry bout Mary Ann telling me to stay away from her horse.  "Mary Ann, don't forget to lock Sally's stable."  Knowing she forgot, she walks over to the stable and picks up the key that is hanging on the nail and locks the lock with the key.  "Done."  She says as she places the key back on the nail.  After making sure Sally is locked in, Mary Ann and I run to the house so that we can get washed up to eat dinner.

© 2013 busymommy04


Author's Note

busymommy04
I have done a little editing...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on February 25, 2013
Last Updated on February 28, 2013
Previous Versions

Author

busymommy04
busymommy04

NC



About
I'm a mother of 4 children, 5 and 3 yr old girls and 7 month old twins (boy and girl). I served in the US Army and have been in the food service industry for 9 years. I have been writing since I was .. more..

Writing
Forget Forget

A Poem by busymommy04