Frail and Old

Frail and Old

A Poem by Floating on the feathers of a dandelion

 

 

Clasping with frail fingers,

An old silver hand-mirror,

The sides of the glass blurred with jaded green,

With beautifully sculpted angels perched on the rim,

Angels still so young and so adorable,

They make this senile body jealous.

 

Timidly do I bring the reflection closer,

Scared to look at time’s diabolic creativity,

Lines, that have taken ages to emerge so conspicuously,

 

I stare at the rotten face in the old mirror and scrutinize,

 

The layers of foundation on the sagging face

To hide the lines of age.

 

Strokes of rouge on the skin,

Hanging loose on the cheek bones.

 

The red lipstick on the chapped pale blue lips.

 

Mascara on the almost invisible lashes.

 

Eye shadow on the lid to conceal the thin green lines.

 

Perfectly combed little remains guarded by my pretty blue hat.

 

 

 

I stare and I wonder

 

“Would you have loved me the same?”

 

I really don’t know!!

 

“But I still crave for you the same.”

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Floating on the feathers of a dandelion


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am reading this poem for the second time, and the image that keeps recuring to me is that of Gary Oldman's character in 'Bram Stoker's Dracula'. Your poem so captures the weigt and feel of someone who's reviewing him/herself through the existential and shadowy mist of time. It is very nostalgic, and the benign attention to detail is very resorceful. And those last spoken words ... don't they seem more scary to you? They sure do to me. Brrr...

Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful! Very vivid imagery brought to light through your words! The fine art of growing old! Thank You for sharing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a lonely piece of great depth. Such sadness I feel upon reading it. You expressed beautifully the image that you wanted to express. Really fine work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lovely. lovely job.

you really captured those thoughts, that perhaps we have had in passing, but you put them under a microscope and forced us to focus on them.

"Scared to look at time's diabolic creativity,"

nice line there :)

really well set up, and well done. The detail is great, especially "to hide the green lines" - something I never would have thought to think of, or notice.

Great write. Great read. :)

hugs



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I see you are attempting to write from the point of view of an older person, and I say that because it doesn't ring completely true. I doubt someone would call their appearance "rotten" or call themselves "senile," since a senile person would be unaware of their senility. The wording is correct, but there is a coldness here to age and while someone who is older might not be happy to be older, there would be some joys in memory or something and while they might regret being wrinkled, they most likely wouldn't describe themselves as you have here. This is a well written poem, but it is ultimately not authentic to how an older person would view themselves. Hopefully you don't view this review as harsh or hurtful, that wasn't my intent at all. I think you are a good writer but I also believe you are writing from the pov of an outsider looking in and than insider looking out.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I think this is interesting to read as so many people look into the minds of the old and miss out on appearance and what they think of themselves. Also brings to our attention how we do get more fragile as we grow old, beauty fading into nothing only alive in our actions. This felt a very lonely poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A good imagination...and a piece with an awesome flow..
I loved the ending part a lot...
"I stare and I wonder
"Would you have loved me the same?"
I really don't know!!
"But I still crave for you the same."
Overall..its an awesome read!
:)

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Good imagining! I think you've given voice to what many of us wonder as we age, even as we hope others will see beneath the effects of gravity and life to the young person still beneath.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

reminds me of the old lady looking into the mirror at the start of the titantic movie. she saw both the former and the present. isn't it cool how everyone who is "old" was once "young?" good theme.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

You have some really interesting juxtapostions to suggest youth and age like the angels and the 'red lipstick on the chapped pale blue lips' but I think the 'do' seems unnecessary in the following line 'Timidly do I bring the reflection closer',

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Oh this made me feel so sad at the thought of a old person looking and thinking they are no longer the same as they once were. I think its so sad that old people seem to shrink as they get older and skin doesn't seem to fit on bones so well. A horrifying thought that this will happen to us all eventually.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1249 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Floating on the feathers of a dandelion
Floating on the feathers of a dandelion

Underneath blueeeeeeeeee sky, India



About
Hmmm.... About me ?!?!? I am what i would have wanted myself to be, i am a butterfly when i want to tickle the flowers, i am a bird when i want to compete with the flecks of cotton, i am the river whe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..