Bleed to stay alive

Bleed to stay alive

A Poem by Augustus

Some wounds are best left unhealed
Let them bleed.....Bleed to stay alive!
That little trickle of blood is all you've got
to remind you of the distinction between right and wrong

Yes I know all about the scab that's forming
It stands as much of a chance as a painted hag in a beauty contest
It mocks the memory of your once pristine skin
So claw at it! Scratch it out! Obliterate it! And bleed....

I see Patience and Forbearance sniveling in the distance...
I see Cowardice masquerading as Nobility...
For Heaven's sake! Since when did Liberation start pledging fealty to Utopian morals?!
Sometimes, (like now, for instance) it is blatantly wrong to forgive or forget

For once, deceive the shackles of Propriety
For once, honour the Gift of Life, by LIVING
Sometimes, it is necessary to draw blood....
Now is not the time to sheath your sword.


© 2013 Augustus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Is it pain or is it just a feeling? Or is it just the lull before a revolution? I wonder in which state you were when you wrote this...I like this because it is raw...this doesn't have the wordplay of the poet but dignified use of words. I like the unrest that is brought out through it, I like the passion for living and I like the belligerence flowing throughout this piece of work. I rate this work very highly!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you CD! This is about the one thing that has been a source of pain in an otherwise comfortable.. read more



Reviews

Is this really you, Shreyas? I don't think I've ever read a free verse poem from you! I can't say I know exactly what revolution you intend to convey through this write, it is certainly a rousing poem. I don't know what else to say about this poem. I think some of the brutal nature of this poem and the stubborn refusal to stay within rhythmic code is deliberate, in which case I think you have done your job well. But obviously, this poem is more about the content than the form, which is almost spoken word, and that is where it excels at.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Well, hopefully within a year. I'm getting tired of it to be honest. The work is going well, but I n.. read more
Abdul Aziz

10 Years Ago

I can imagine. I hope you accomplish it! Just don't ever stop writing poems. The world needs it :P
Augustus

10 Years Ago

Glad you think so, mate! :)
Is it pain or is it just a feeling? Or is it just the lull before a revolution? I wonder in which state you were when you wrote this...I like this because it is raw...this doesn't have the wordplay of the poet but dignified use of words. I like the unrest that is brought out through it, I like the passion for living and I like the belligerence flowing throughout this piece of work. I rate this work very highly!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you CD! This is about the one thing that has been a source of pain in an otherwise comfortable.. read more
I would follow you into battle sir, with words like these. I too understand the sentiments in this poem and I feel now more than ever is the the time to act. "For Heaven's sake! Since when did Liberation start pledging fealty to Utopian morals?!" ...so much is said with this line. You have serious talent. Superb.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

You honour me! I am humbled.
You are gifted with talents and wisdom...Thank you for sharing...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Indeed, now is not the time to sheath your sword. Lovely words. Splendid read and write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
This is Amazing!

I believe life has a way of scarring us.. in order to be strong we must face it head on...bleed and heal...Take what has cut us to the bone and learn from it...
You have an innate way of searing these images in my mind... VERY INTENSE, my dear friend!!

Your writes always carry a majestic energy...even in strife! WOW!~xoxo~

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much Robbie! You made my day! :)
Robbie~xoxo~

10 Years Ago

It's always a pleasure to read your work of art, my dear friend!~xoxo~:)
Dear Augustus,

We are not hermetically sealed, sterile creatures of pure reason. We have emotion and desires. We have needs and wants. These demand at times that we act swiftly, with passion, and with strength. Is this wrong? Should we let reason always rule? There are not right and wrong reasons in life. So I think we must do what we feel me must. And we are complicated creatures. As you say we fight base wars and at the same time discuss the nature of the many facets of infinity, the Axiom of Choice, Cardinality and Ordinality, the completeness and consistency of mathematics. Who are we? We are such horrible and interesting creatures. And yes, at times we just need to bleed. It is in our souls and DNA. It is how we grow and survive.

Liked this one a lot and made be think about so many things. High marks!

All the best!

Rick

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your insightful review, Rick!
This struck me. I had a friend in high school who attempted suicide. She said how right it felt to bleed. That in that moment she finally felt alive, free.

But for me it conjured fighting for what I believe and that some battles are bloody but worth it.

Great poem!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

"Some battles are bloody but worth it..." That is very close to what I had in mind. Thank you so mu.. read more
Propriety and conformity can be the bain of life as well as the protection. You`ve said it well, Shreyas....to stray from normality keeps your sword sharp! P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Augustus

10 Years Ago

So glad to have you stop by! "Propriety and conformity can be the bain (bane?) of life as well as th.. read more
Pete Langley

10 Years Ago

Sorry, Shreyas. Being a Cockney, my English ain`t so good!
Augustus

10 Years Ago

Oh you needn't apologize at all, Pete! I didn't mean to be pedantic....was only seeking clarity. I t.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1036 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 16, 2013
Last Updated on May 16, 2013

Author

Augustus
Augustus

Cambridge, MA



About
My name is Shreyas Gokhale. I have a PhD in Physics from the Indian Institute of Science and am currently a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. However, I guess.. more..

Writing
Polyphemus Polyphemus

A Poem by Augustus



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry