By the Hilt of the Sword

By the Hilt of the Sword

A Story by Shreyas Tripathy
"

This is just a thought that reveals the fact that our dreams are always way out of proportion and they are no where near what the reality is. They fade away as the reality strikes us down...

"

A warrior, a fighter, a dreamer, a striker, a demi-god… All the titles that make one look invincible. Yes… That is me! A traveler of time, the king of the land, the ruler of the mountain, the price of the sea, yes me! No power could overpower me, no one’s strength could defeat me, I was the one and only protector of the world. My world. There was no gloom, no despair, no criminals, and no crooks. I had paved a new path for everyone to follow; the righteous one.


After my usual routine of watching my world from the skies all day, I finally returned home. It was the time to take a peaceful nap. Nothing was wrong today again, a reason to celebrate, a reason to enjoy. But I was too tired for that. I needed my fair share of rest. I changed my clothes and took a refreshing shower. Then I went to bed for my nap. Ahh… I was in such dire need of some rest. I instantly fell asleep; fast asleep.


 A knock on the door woke me up. The knocking was a steady and impatient one. I got down from my bed and started approaching the door while trying to rub the sleepiness out of my eyes. But when I was about 10 feet away from the door, it burst open. There were men, angry looking men all around the area. A couple of them stood right in front of my door, carrying long sticks and baseball bats.

“Leave!” one of them shouted. “Leave the house now or we will beat you to death.” My mother had come running out of the kitchen and was now holding me tightly, as if trying to shield me from them.


I closed my eyes, and let out a deep breath. That is how you dominate your fear, and with that, dominate your opponent. My hand was on the hilt of the sword, well concealed from my enemy, who was only ready to be defeated by my hands. His head wasn’t going be on his shoulders after a minute, that he knew not. He deserved to die, for he had made the mistake of threatening me and my mother. I opened my eyes to get the final glimpse of my enemy and then went for my sword.


Only there wasn’t… No hilt to wrap my hands around it, no sword to slice my enemies’ heads. My positioning, which would have been strategically the best, now was the worst. I stood there helpless, vulnerable, ready to fall, to fail, to either leave or die. No longer was I shielding my mother, but she was, with her loving hands. Only if this was a nightmare; I would have woken up by my mother’s tug to leave the house. And then I would have pulled out my sword by its hilt and … my thought drowned in the sea of ailing mothers and crying children and the screaming tyrants.

© 2012 Shreyas Tripathy


Author's Note

Shreyas Tripathy
This is only a crazy thought. Mostly intended to provoke thought and start a thread of thoughts ...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whoa...totally wicked! Love it! It's amazing what you can creat but just have one thread of thought huh? Or even listening to a song. You can created so much. We humans are vey interesting when it comes to creativity. Even me, I started off a story I'm writing with one thought and it's blown into something seriously huge! (I'm not kidding...the story is over half a page and I'm not even done yet...)
Anyway, love it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shreyas Tripathy

11 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Felicia !
Felecia

11 Years Ago

No problem!
A very good start to this poem. I like the myth of the berserker. A berserker taste blood and can kill 20 men in second. Would be a interesting character. From India myths and story. This introduction was very good. Create bad situation and I wanted to read more. I hope you keep reading. Thank you for sharing the introduction. A excellent introduction.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shreyas Tripathy

11 Years Ago

I am glad you liked it sir!
But unfortunately this was just a short story. I have no plans as.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 18, 2012
Last Updated on October 18, 2012
Tags: hilt, sword, dream, fantasy, riot

Author

Shreyas Tripathy
Shreyas Tripathy

Jaipur, India



About
I am Shreyas Tripathy, a student who is pursuing engineering in the discipline, Computer Science Engineering. I have always had a creative side in me. Its just that i never had a platform or the.. more..

Writing