Life, Art & Things In Between

Life, Art & Things In Between

A Poem by Siddhartha

The face in the mirror refuses to see
The lie that it was meant to be
Subtle hypocrisy struggles against reason steeled
As the layers of the conundrum get peeled

If nihilistic is world then what are we?
Kafkaesque creatures of a torrid dream?
This world is but a sophist's delight
Myriad untruths proclaiming the man free

If time is fleeting then what remains?
Dreams, memories, vanishing footprints in sand?
And what of anger, the instrument of pain?
Will detachment from love keep us sane?

The picture in the canvas comes to life
A fleeting shape of an ethereal man
The face therein burns in amber flames
Ephemeral art blowing wisps of shame

What of the artist and what of his craft?
Can meaning be found at the edge of sanity?
If all art is smothered by the sands of time
Will history be kind to the artist and his vanity?

The Sun flies on prancing horses of time
Withholding secrets from minds inclined
And man blunders on despite being warned
Clutching desperately at the straws in his mind

© 2011 Siddhartha


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sid,
you've definitely grown as a poet (unlike me) and is now getting bigger, deeper and more real.Your mature words inspire. Provoke. I was reading "Metamorphosis" the other day - so naturally Kafkaesque creatures of a torrid dream makes all the more sense..The struggle in existence is a strange one, we wonder are we really here..for one thing in a different time-space continuum we are not here though we should be. Art is the escape to all things inexplainable by science..Surreal is just a realm of imagination part of minds and darker unknowns yet to be captured by our dreary reality. I see glimpses of that reality in this, the edge of reason, the loss of sanity, the sands of time play huge roles..Great work..One of a kind, immensely satisfied with your work !!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Surrealistic, like a lovely painting that catches meaning and makes us see its flow.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The perception of life drawn with artistic world of images rates you as a great poet of undying spirits. Loved your work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i couldn't resist commenting on how eloquently worded this is. i find myself paralyzed with emotion and thinking that maybe i'm not so good a poet as
others proclaim. this is absolutely fantastic and i applaud your command of
the english language. outstanding piece of work. if you have no objections,
this one goes into my library.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is an amazing write.. I love the Kafka and surrealism references

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is so lovely! The words are so impressive! You have chosen them so well. You have a very good imagery here. Keep up the good work my friend!

Posted 12 Years Ago


you are a worthy poet

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very well-structured and philosophical piece with beautiful imagery, particularly those concerning the Kafkasque and Dalisque surreal. Jean Jacque Rosseau wrote "man is born free but everywhere he is in chains", I think that's particularly true of artists.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sid,
you've definitely grown as a poet (unlike me) and is now getting bigger, deeper and more real.Your mature words inspire. Provoke. I was reading "Metamorphosis" the other day - so naturally Kafkaesque creatures of a torrid dream makes all the more sense..The struggle in existence is a strange one, we wonder are we really here..for one thing in a different time-space continuum we are not here though we should be. Art is the escape to all things inexplainable by science..Surreal is just a realm of imagination part of minds and darker unknowns yet to be captured by our dreary reality. I see glimpses of that reality in this, the edge of reason, the loss of sanity, the sands of time play huge roles..Great work..One of a kind, immensely satisfied with your work !!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Reminds me of King Solomon lamenting the vanity of life, the vocabulary and flow of this write is wonderful, however, the message and conclusion can’t bring you much peace or pleasure. It’s liberating to write ones thoughts down, but I wonder if your reasoning will ever free you? This reminds me of a bird escaping from a cage only to realize it’s trapped in a house with closed windows. It could not have been written better, but perhaps one day you’ll find an open window?

“Will detachment from love keep us sane?”
Sometimes I wonder if it isn’t my lack of love that robs me of my sanity…

“Clutching desperately at the straws in his mind”
Hmm… 2 Timothy 1:7 may provide you with some hope.

Forgive me for analyzing your masterpiece, I think when I write with similar feelings I tend to become drunk with the emotion, to have someone attempt to sober my thoughts is often unwelcome…




Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

872 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 2, 2011
Last Updated on April 5, 2011

Author

Siddhartha
Siddhartha

Hyderabad, South Asia, India



About
An engineer, with a management degree, I am passionate about and fascinated by the arts – literature, movies, music and photography, et al. Creative writing, especially poetry is the raison d&rs.. more..

Writing
reverence reverence

A Poem by Siddhartha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Grey Grey

A Poem by OT


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT