New Life

New Life

A Chapter by Niya Moon
"

First chapter is Silver Moon

"

The mountains were blue from the way the setting suns’ light hit them. The field was a sea of gold swaying in the light breeze that flowed over the priers in the late summer, right before harvest.

                It was my favorite time of year. When the fruit became ripe, the bee hives over flowed with honey and the stream ran rich with fish. The harvest was coming, and my mother had just given birth to a healthy baby boy. I was twelve years old that summer, full of hope and mischievous.

                I look out over the field to the west were the sun was ducking below the horizon when I saw the horse men heading toured the cottage. I stood up and run toured the house, by the time I got there the men had the horses tied and were all ready in the cottage.

                I ran through the door, and stopped dead in my run. My mother was sitting in the rocking chair weeping and my father was by her side whispering something I could not hear. When my father heard my come in he look up and I saw the tears in his eyes as well. The men were all looking at me; I ran to my mother and father and knelt before them.

                “I’ll come back some day.” I whispered. My mother wrapped her arms around me and weep harder. I knew why the men were there. My father had told me a long time ago that they would come. I know that my parents were not my true ones but in my heart they were. I know in truth what I was, a princess, the heir to the royal throne, my true mother was the queen, but die shortly after having giving birth to me. She gave me too her best friend to look after well she was a way at war, she died in battle. Her friend was just a peasant. When the Queen died the courts allowed me to stay with her friend until my thirtieth birthday, which was a mouth away. Even though I would not go throw my coronation for another three years, when the silver moon would rise and I would be made queen.  

                “No,” my mother stated “You won’t.” 

                She stood to get my little brother who had started to cry. At that point my father had lifted me on to his knee with difficulty. He looked me in the eyes and spoke softly so only I could hear. “You be strong and learn all you can, God be with you Jarikka, I loves you always remember that.” To the tallest of the men he said “Take care of her.”

                “We would not let harm come to our future Queen.”

                “Very well, be safe Jarie.” 

                “Come your highness, we leave this night.”

                “Can’t you stall a little longer just for the night?” My Mother asked

                “I’m sorry but no, we must get back as so as possible.”

                “YOU weren’t suppose to come for another month.” She continued to argue.

                “Things changed, I am truly sorry I argued the same thing her mother would not have wanted this.”            

                I looked one last time at my parents and the house I had grown up in, the fire place know glowing bright in the dieing day the dirt floor with our table my father had made with his bare hands our three stoles surrounding it, I looked at the rocking chair of my mothers that I had come to love, and the corner that our bedding lay, I looked at it all before I left the cottage. My father had gone to my mother by the fire with my little brother in her arms. I felt the sting of tears as I turned away from my home, and family. As we walk to the stable I looked at my new companions, and wish I was still in my mothers arms, she was right I would never see them again. By then I knew I was crying and wished I could stop.

                Once outside the tall man knelt in front of me, even on one knee he was only a head shorter them my five feet. His voice when I had heard him speak was deep and rambled in his chest. He had black curly hair that hung to his shoulders, black eyes, a strong chin, and a broken nose, in all he was handsome. When he spoke to me I had to get us to not feeling like I should jump.

                He held out his hands cupped to make a small hold for me to put my foot into, when I placed my foot in his hands he flipped me up on to his horse, and jumped on behind me.

                “Wait what of my clothes?”

                “You will not need them.” he answered. “In fact as soon as we stop to rest the horses you will be gives clothing more suitably for riding.”

                I looked down at my hand woven skirt and sighed, my mother had made it for me. I look behind us as the horses trotted away from the cottage and caught a glimpse of my mother running out of the house to watch me go. I looked away for I could not stand to watch my home disappear before my eyes.

                I watched the hills pass by for a short time before I became tired and fell a sleep. I was only a sleep for a shot time when I felt the horse beneath me stop. I opened my eye when the men swung off the horse. He held out his hand to help me down, but I ignored it and jumped down off the beasts back with out any help, the man shrugged his shoulders and walk over to the tent that was being set up, and beckoned to me with a large finger.

                “You will find clothing in there.” Then he turned and walked over to the fire and sat with the rest of his men.

                I walked into the tent and gasped it was made of a gold like fabric, which I didn’t notice out side were it was dark. There were candles in every corner of the tent. I looked at the riding skirt that lay on a silver pillow in the middle of the room. I walked over to it a fingered the rich fabric. It was the loveliest skirt I’d ever seen. It was scarlet with diamond embroidery. The tunic was a cream color with a gold blouse to go under it, and the cloak was scarlet like the skirt. It all matched my black curly hair and jewel green eye, the skirt and tunic hugged my slim form well, the little bump some would call breast were hidden under all the fabric, my pale skin looked even whiter against the red.

                When I left the tent men immediately began to take it down. I looked over to the fire but someone had already put in out. I didn’t hear him come up behind me so when he was suddenly there behind me I jumped out of my skin. He simply handed me an apple and gestured toured his horse.  Yah, more riding,      

                We were on the horses for more than an hour before I finally got up my nerve        

                “What is your name?” I asked the huge man.

                “Barieos.”

                “Barieos? What a strange name.”

                “What is so strange about my name Jarikka?”

                “Never mind, I have a… habit of speaking my mind with out thinking about it, and it’s not that your name is real strange, it’s only that I’ve never heard one like it before. ”

                He laughed; it came from down deep in his chest, I felt my whole body shake with its force.

                “What’s so funny?” I demanded

                “You remind me of your mother, your really mother that is.”

                “How do you know my birth mother?”

                “I am the one who instructed her in the art of combat.”

                “How old are you?”

                “I was only twenty some year old when I began to train your mother and she died at a very young age Jarikka.”

                “How young?”

                “21.”

                “Jarikka.”

                “Jarie.”

                “Pardon me?”

                “Call me Jarie.”

                “Jarie it is then.” I heard the smile in his voice; and for once since we had left my cottage I felt like I may have a friend.

                “Your mother, Queen Sandra, was like you, always said what was on her mind, no matter what others thought, she hated it when others tried to help her and always was true to her heart, though she was not the most skilled at sword play she was an amazing archer.”

                “Will you tell me how she died?”

                “Ni, I was not there, but with you, your mother sent me to watch over you well she was in battle. None truly know how she died, except the one who killed her.”

                “You mean she died alone?”

                “We all die alone sweet, only God is with us then.”

                I looked around but everything was in shadow, cased by the lanterns that lit our way. What I could see tough was that we were in a forest. The Blue Forest, it was named that because of how close together the trees where even in the day the forest was mostly in shadow. I had never been in the Blue Forest before, only hared story. Some say that because the forest was so closed in by trees you could be on the edge of getting out but not be able to find the light ahead and accidentally get turned around and get lost for days before finding your way out again and some never found there way out.  

                By the time we reached our destination it was two in the morning; I was ready to sleep and I was hungry. We were in a camp site that much was obvious, there were tents set up all over the place a few small fires and one large tent in the middle of the camp. The company of six I’d been riding with just expanded to a little over fifty men though I saw a few women as well. I felt the fresh sting of tears as I once again wished I was back in the small field of tall wheat with my father as he harvested the field, I know he would began in the early morning, I once use to wake to the smell of mama’s warm bread and honey, I would miss it all to spend the morning with strangers, I thought as once again the warm tears ran down my cheeks.

 

***

               

When I woke from my sleep the sun was setting and me stomach was accusing me of neglecting it of its nutrients. I walked out, I had not bothering to change out of my riding skirt when I went to sleep, I still wore it, and so I considered myself descent. A man I did not know walk up to me and offered me a slice of breed, I excepted it with gratitude, the man smiled at me, then turned to walk away.

                “Wait” I said. He turned around and looked at me expectantly a question in his deep blue eyes. He had fine features a shape thin nose, high cheek bones, and full lips. I liked the look of him. “What is your name?”

                “Tre, if it pleases my lady.” He bowed, his voice was tanner and he spoke with a sing song quality.

                “And I am Jarie.” He smiled bowed again and turned to walk away, this time I didn’t stop him.

                I wondered some more throw the camp taking in all that was around me, the tents were more methodical then I had first assumed, they were in columns of five with five rows of tents in all twenty-five tents which left two men in each tent plus mine would make twenty-six tent. Then there was the mess hall that was to the west side and the privies on the Far East side of camp. Barieos had said that we would remain camped for three more days then the company would continue on.

“How do you like it?” The inquirer was another man I didn’t know, there seemed to be a lot of people I didn’t know. “It is a fine camp.” I answered regrettably. I didn’t like the look of this man as I did Tre, his eyes were a mud brown and his hair was yellow and reminded me of straw his cheeks were sunken in like he had not eaten in days, his noses was long and hocked at the end, and his smile scared me.

                “Leave her be Phasco.” A sing song voice said behind me. I recognized Tre’s voice could not help it as a breath of relief escaped my lunges. I was even more relived when Phasco was no longer paying attention to me; instead his muddy gaze was trained on Tre. “Leave her be.” He mimicked, his voice sent shivers down my spine.

 “Phasco, don’t you have some where to be?” Barieos’s voice thundered in the dark cold air. I had not realized it but the sun had gone down.  

“I was just on my way my lord when I saw the Princess by herself I wished to see if she was alright when Tre there started commanding me like he ran the camp.” Phasco stumbled throw the word.

“Thank you for your concern sir Phasco, but I assure you I am quite fine, please do continue what ever it was you were doing.” I cut in not wanting any more confrontation. Phasco bowed then turned away a disappeared into the dark.

Barieos escorted me back to my tent, when we wretched it he asked me if I would like any more food, I told him no even though I was starving I didn’t want to take him away from his duties as I already had. He nodded his head and left me. I walked back into my tent and smiled to myself, Barieos was no fool, there was a loaf of bread, a half pound salted stake, a jug of sweet wine and bowl of fruit on a small table by my bed. My smile turned into a laugh as I sat and began with a sip of wine and an apple.

I feel asleep with ease that night and dreamt I was six again to the first time my father told me the truth about my birth.

 

The field had just been harvest, the short grin was like my father’s short cut hair, barely moving in the soft breeze. I ran to him, he bent down to scoop me up in a bear huge, a smile light his pure sky blue eyes, the crows feet in the corn relaxed, his face seemed to lose five years. “Papa, do you think that some day you will teach me how to plow the  field?” He laughed and started to walk back to the cottage. “Now way on earth do you want to learn how to plow this huge field?”

                “Well I just thought I should be prepared for the future like you and mama always talk about.” I had said. My father just shock his head and laughed a little more. “You let me and you ma worry about that.

                “Papa there’s something different about me isn’t there?” I asked

                “Why do you ask?”

                “Well all the other kids say I don’t look anything like you and mama, and they say that there mama and papa say that mama  can’t have kids so how was I born? They keep saying things like that.”

                His face went white under his skin, “Who has been saying that?”

                “Jaxk and Vasca.”

                He didn’t answer for a little, then said, “Well sweetheart that’s because you’re a Princess.” I had only thought he was joking and laughed along with him. He began to call me Princess Jarikka after that, and I never tired of it tell the day I found out it was true.

 

***

 

            The sun’s raise woke me in the morning shining throw the tent flap. I had a new riding skirt lying on the same silver pillow my first riding skirt was on. This one was forest green with embroidery of a doe looking into the distance, the tunic this time was dark drown the blouse was a lighter shade of drown and the cloak was a lighter green then the skirt. Just like my last on it fit me perfectly.

                When I emerged from the tent I went to find Barieos. The camp was already awake and moving about, I had no trouble finding him ether one or two men where always pointing the way to were he was.

                He was talking to a man I recognized for when they first came to my home to fetch me three before hand. Barieos noticing my approach cut the other man, Leo, if I remembered correctly, off from what ever it was they were talking about. He smile encouragement to me. “Good morning Lord Barieos, Captain Leo.”

                “You remember me then, Princess?” Captain Leo smile. He was tall with long brown hair and brown eyes with green flacks in them he was a plain looking man but he had a nice smile.

                “How can I forget you, as I recall the other night you caught me when I almost fell in the mad on my way to my tent.” I said returning his smile for a smile.

                There was silence for a moment before Barieos stated, “Princess you will have to begin your training as soon as possible, the court is not going to want, no disrespect on your parents, a peasant to run their court.” He paused for a moment more to let me take it all in, “So I brought along a few servant women and a tutor to teach you the basic rules of sociality to learn.”

                Captain Leo cut in “The tutor has been complaining for the time she got here to this very day that she can not turn a peasant girl, no harm meant, to a princess in 12 day’s and that is how long we have, so do us all a blessing and tell me you learn quickly.”

                Barieos ignored him and continued on, “Your tutor is awaiting you as we speak, her name is Mistress Yaou. If you have any question I am always around, so seek me out if you need me.

                “It seems one of your maid is here to escort you to Mistress Yaou, try to have fun sweet.”

                With thoughts final word he turned back to Captain Leo, Leo bowed to me and turned his own attention back to Barieos, and I turned mine to the maid.

                She led me through the maze of tents to the middle, where I met my tutor, Mistress Yaou; she was a short woman in her mid-fifties, gray hair, small brown eyes and smooth skin for someone so old.

                And so my lessons began.

“Sit straight Princess Jarikka, no, no, no, no, do not you listen girl? Why ohhh why did they give me this GIRL?” I learned fast all right, learned that Mistress Yaou did not like mistake, was not patient and had a really bad attitude. I think that is all I learned. I was also close to tear, never had I been yelled at before. My father was stern but gentile, my mother was soft and sweet, and the children who I played with often just keep most of their distance. I also learned that Mistress Yaou yelled, a lot.  We began with sitting, walking, talking, and curtsying. All I could think through all of this was how am I going to learn this all in just 12 days, I am domed.

Mistress Yaou called for one of her servants to get a rope. What on earth does she want a rope for? I don’t like the look in Mistress Yaou’s eyes when she turned back to look at me.

“Sit straight” I instantly sat with my back straight a half inch form the chair back. “Now until you learn how not to slouch we will just have to do with this stand up.” The maid had arrived with the rope.

The 12 days passed by slowly, it was agony to watch all I knew get ripped away for me, bit by slow bit, but I began to learn, I found that I was indeed a fast learner and by the time we reached the castle that I would call home, I had learned much on how to be a princess even if I still felt like a peasant girl. From there my story begins, it is a long tell and if you think you are ready to live my life, and experiences my adventure then come along for my story has just begun.    

 



© 2008 Niya Moon


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 21, 2008
Last Updated on November 21, 2008


Author

Niya Moon
Niya Moon

Twin Falls, ID



About
I love to read and write, I can't spell worth crap but I'm good with words and writing is what I love to do. I haven't published any books or storys yet but I hope to soon. Silver Moon will hopefully.. more..

Writing
Alone Alone

A Poem by Niya Moon