The Rain That Roamed

The Rain That Roamed

A Story by **
"

Two boys venture out on a journey in order to fulfil their own goals. Little do they know how hard it is to stop the rain at their own will...

"

It wasn’t raining. It wasn’t pouring. It was oceaning, like the sea had been tipped upside-down over the Earth. Thunder crashed and lightning flashed, and the nearby cities were in definite danger of drowning. It was good weather for bad things, and in a small room at the very top of the very highest tower - that was hidden away by the mist and fog produced by the sorrowful rain, stood a boy gnawing away at a chest with his bare hands. He was small, that boy. With his ragged, icy features and his overwhelming coldness, he finally ripped the chest apart unveiling the true contents within. Like an oyster the chest was; refined and mysterious yet managed to crack when faced against the scrawny boy with distasteful language.

 

“At last,” he breathed with bitterness and relief. With his tiny fists and his closed-off heart, he sought on a quest to find materials in order to be the greatest warrior alive. Originating from a country built from dirt, and people that were as unpredictable as the God of disaster, he was determined to break away from his people and be remodelled into a respectful man. If he could describe his ideal inspiration, it would be the mighty controller of the rabid seven seas, the lustfully handsome ruler of ocean life, the ‘husband of Earth’ adorned by many. Indeed, this man was King Poseidon - ruler of the vicious, vast land underwater.

 

Whilst being immersed in the ancient artefact the chest reluctantly gave to him, he noticed the storm was becoming intense and passionate. If he wanted to make it out alive, he would have to leave fast. Dying in a place as desolate as this hidden forest would be a nightmare, he thought. No soul has ever set foot upon the fertile land where the tallest tower lingered; apart from our brave warrior-in-the-making, Caelum. Caelum was known for his absurdity and stoical behaviour, thus he was always called the devil’s spawn " even by his own people. However, he was never bothered as he only had one goal in his mind which he worked towards every day in this rotting forest which was like his home. He knew the place with his eyes closed so he presumed his journey and exited the mighty tower which was unaltered by the deafening storm.

 

“Lady Luck must be smiling upon me, to think I have found this artefact so early on into the game… all I need now is Lord Poseidon’s son’s third eye and I’m complete. Why does his son have a third eye anyway? How disgusting.” His thoughts and criticism trailed alongside him, abruptly being disturbed by weary quacking noises. Alarmed, he approached the noise with a blade in one hand, and his treasure in the other. Behind the giant palm leaves and over the twiddling thistles, was a boy built of a similar figure, looking distraught. How could this be? No man has set foot in this part of town, ever. Analysing the delicate figure that was slumped against a rock, a knife was thrown merely chipping off the strands of his dark, vibrant hair.

 

“Who goes there?” The boy asked, unbothered. Caelum was annoyed by his attitude, therefore, approached him with a menacing look.

 

“Who goes there? More like, who are you? What are you doing in this forest, and more importantly why are you out in the rain?”

 

“Hah, my father’s tears do not sting me like it does for you vulnerable humans. I’m Polythemus, now answer me mortal, who are you?” Polythemus’ tone grew colder and colder, almost on the same level as Caelum. Caelum was taken aback by the sudden disrespect and continued to study the boy of the same demeanour. He had soft, rippling bangs which covered his pale forehead. His eyes were large and bright in colour as if he has seen and experienced many things. His skin was sun-kissed and enchanted Caelum as if he has been put under a spell.

 

“What are you staring at?” Polythemus demanded.

 

“Er,” Caelum said, “there’s a duck. On your head.”

 

Polythemus stood up and approached Caelum, who was backing up in sync to Polythemus’ steps, “Huh, I do have a duck on my head. I didn’t think you’d notice. His name is Bartholomew. Now stop changing the subject and answer my previous question.”

 

“Right…” Caelum already felt the awkward tension arising, “I’m Caelum and this is MY forest. You and your ‘duck’ aren’t suited for this forest. Please leave.”

 

“I said his name is Bartholomew,” the duck quacked in agreement, “and that’s pretty rich coming from a mere mortal, this isn’t your forest. It belongs to the Dyrads, the forest nymphs. My father has told me all about them.”

 

Aggravated, Caelum grabbed Polythemus’ collar. “Just who is your father you prestigious little-“

 

“Poseidon.” As those hypnotising words escaped the tanned boy’s lips, Caelum felt his adrenaline rush. There he stood, face to face with the son of his idol; the son of his idol whom he has insulted mercilessly. Realising his actions, he let go of the boy’s collar and grew into a sea of redness. What was he thinking acting like such a fool? Polythemus realised Caelum’s embarrassment and decided to take advantage of his weakness.

 

“How dare you touch me? I am The Mighty, Brave son of God, Polythemus. How bold of you to disrespect me in such a way!” With every word Caelum shrunk, clutching his artefact close to his chest. Once Polythemus saw Caelum in his most vulnerable state, he chuckled, “I’m joking. You can stand up. My father won’t do anything to you personally.”

 

Relieved, Caelum sighed. The relief didn’t last long when he realised he’s been duped by Poseidon’s son! His embarrassment transformed into anger, but he couldn’t show it as he was still in fear of upsetting Poseidon.

 

“It wasn’t funny - your joke. It seems they haven’t taught Gods how to be funny.”

 

“Hey, don’t call me a God and don’t you ever think of me as my father. That animal is appalling.”

 

“Poseidon is appalling? I can’t imagine it. Why do you hate your father so much?”

 

Polythemus stared into Caelum’s foggy eyes. This made Caelum falter, which was cute for the son of a powerful immortal,

 

“He doesn’t care for anyone, only my third eye.” He used his left hand to unveil the eye that was on his forehead which had a dead gaze, “see all this rain? This is because my father is angry, and he wants me to come home. He’s taking out his anger on Earth, harming millions of humans because he can’t get what he wants.”

 

“That’s not a bad thing, humans are appalling too.”

 

“But not all are; unlike my father. Anyway, only I can stop this so I have decided to return back to the ocean where my father lies, but I have seemed to lost my way. Please take me to the ocean Caelum.”

 

After seeing Polythemus’ third eye, Caelum was mesmerised. He then remembered how that single eye had the power to turn him into a great warrior; he used this situation to his advantage.

 

“Since you’re dying for me to take you, I will.” Polythemus’ face lit up, “but on one condition.” Polythemus’ light then blew a fuse. “You will give me your third eye.”

 

He sighed and nodded; as if this was a question he heard many times. The two boys ventured on a quest to find the eternal ocean where Poseidon’s rage continued to flow. However, Caelum decided to take the longest route he could think of because he wanted to understand Polythemus more. This wasn’t a good idea since the storm continued to bellow stubbornly, stripping the forest trees from their evergreen leaves.

 

A noise. Something slithered in the shadows, horribly inhuman. Immediately, Polythemus knew where that sound was coming from and walked faster with Bartholomew clasping onto the strands of his hair whilst he gripped firmly onto Caelum’s forearm. He was startled by this of course, but also knew something was following them. Caelum tried to ignore Polythemus’ light fingertips gently playing on his skin but it was hard because he was so warm while Caelum was always so cold.

 

“You must know who that scorning snake is,” Polythemus said.

 

Indeed Caelum knew. It was none other than Medusa herself.

 

“It seems she’s here to fetch you,” Caelum said, with an exasperated sigh.

 

Medusa was a disciple of Poseidon and yearned for her beauty to return after it was wrongfully stolen by Athena. By following Poseidon, she thought she could regain her lust.

 

“You must know not to look her in the eye then. Make sure to keep your eyes on me the whole time.” Polythemus was stern and made Caelum feel anxious. Unconsciously, he obeyed his orders and had his eyes glued onto the tanned boy. His rich, luscious, dark hair flew to the rhythm of the storming rain whilst he saw the boy’s simple, smooth eyelids batter. He knew Polythemus was a handsome boy, but by inspecting him closely, he felt as if he saw a new side to him each time. During the time of his inspection, explosions went off. Medusa’s loyal snakes were detonating one by one, vigorously shaking the ground. If they didn’t move faster, they too would be caught up in the blast.

 

“I didn’t know Medusa had exploding snakes,” Caelum questioned.

 

“It’s a perk she got for being my father’s faithful follower.” His tone was almost mocking.

 

In the distance, they saw fresh grounds of gravel and broken concrete belonging to a possible temple. Caelum knew the ocean was nearby so he took the lead. With his hands intertwined with Polythemus’, they exploded into action, racing across the concrete and dived, with half a second to spare, behind a disintegrating wall. Medusa’s snakes stopped following them as they couldn’t bear the blinding sun. The boys were at ease and explored the ruins of the temple. The walls were once attached to a magnificently large building, which shielded the cities from despair. As it was no longer there, they were no longer protected.

 

They pressed onwards until Caelum saw two oddly placed doors and beckoned Polythemus.

 

“I know these doors.” Caelum said, intrigued, “it was widely believed that beyond the green door was a beautiful world of magic and wonder. Behind the red door was a cupboard, containing a mop. How strange, don’t you think?”

 

“I believe you’re getting distracted Caelum. Is it because you want to spend more time with me?” Polythemus continued to tease Caelum at whatever chance he got. This annoyed the paler boy, but it was also a good way to shut his obnoxious self up.

 

They ignored the mythical doors and headed towards the ocean. The rain hurtled towards the damaged floor and the wind blew passionately. The two boys were now holding hands, in order to not lose one another " also Caelum enjoyed Polythemus’ gentle touch but would never admit it.

 

A few minutes later, the boys came to a halt. This time, Polythemus was bedazzled by a metallic button peeking out of the floor. Tempted by curiosity, he pressed the button. With a whirr and click and a screech of grinding metal, a robotic arm extended. It looked very threatening and left Polythemus with three wide eyes. Never has he seen anything like it, not even has his father mentioned this. The human realm was indeed interesting.

 

Subconsciously, Caelum used all his power to drag Polythemus away from the metallic structure and ran once more. The robotic arm followed them with its detached finger, almost signalising missiles to fly out of it. “Trouble seems to follow you everywhere, doesn’t it Polythemus?” The curious boy chuckled whilst Bartholomew simultaneously quacked as if he’s seen a ghost.

 

At last, they came to the end where the ocean water danced alongside the edges of the seabed. The sun finally broke free from the dominating rainclouds and directed a strong ray of yellow towards Polythemus. Their journey has come to an end.

 

“Thank you Caelum, now I can fulfill my mission.” Polythemus raised his bangs and once again revealed his beautiful third eye, which still left Caelum in awe. As his hands slowly approached Polythemus’ bewitching eye, the paler boy stopped.

 

“I was thinking, Polythemus.” Caelum breathed. “What if you don’t return to the ocean? What if you run away with me?” The wind howled eerily as if it were against this idea. With his third eye still left uncovered, Polythemus smiled.

 

“Wouldn’t that be lovely?” Caelum’s face lit up. “But I can’t.” Caelum’s light then blew a fuse.

 

“Why not? You can keep your eye, I don’t want it anymore but I want you to come with me.” He needed the eye to become a powerful warrior, just like he wanted. After meeting Polythemus, he had a new goal: to become a great friend.

 

“Your planet is in danger Caelum. Open your own eyes. If this rain does not let up soon, your people would drown and die.”

 

“I do not care about my people!” Caelum grew desperate.

 

 “If you don’t care about your people, then I care about them. I cannot let my father wipe out the human race so I will protect them with all I have. The deal was that you take my third eye, and I am not going back on that.” Polythemus clenched his fist and Bartholomew quacked sadly. He noticed Caelum’s sorrow and decided to battle it with his forced happiness, “Please take my third eye Caelum. Please show my third eye the wonders of this beautiful planet that I could not show. Please take my third eye so it can explore the mythical doors that we could not explore. Please, take a part of me to live in you forever.”

 

A teardrop. The ear-splitting rain was overpowered by the deafening silence. Caelum snatched the eye from Polythemus’ gentle touch and didn’t look back. Polythemus too did not look back; he sank to the depths of the ocean while Caelum walked away bitterly.

 

---

 

After that, the rain did stop for the Earth, and peace was regained for the cities. No more people died cruelly, and no more floods ruined the land. However, there was only one storm that could not be stopped. There was one storm that Poseidon himself could not control. There was one storm which still raged on, even if there was nothing to be angry at.

 

It was the storm that lived on through Caelum’s heart and the rain that cascaded down Polythemus’ reddened cheek every night.

 

© 2017 **


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on March 15, 2017
Last Updated on May 23, 2017
Tags: greek mythology, friendship, adventures, (they're in love), relationships(?), discovery

Author

**
**

london, United Kingdom



About
flowers & cute things. more..

Writing
fake fake

A Story by **


Her Wide Nose Her Wide Nose

A Poem by **


The Painful The Painful

A Poem by **