Study Date

Study Date

A Story by sinclairrb
"

Writing Practice #2 Theme: unrequited love Focus: showing (not telling) emotion

"

I take a deep breath before reaching for the handle. Beyond the heavy oak door, the all-to-familiar site of the crowded group-work area greets me. The scattered clumps of students in pjs and sweatpants clash with the ornate, deep brown theme of the library. I scan the room until I spot the messy blond head hovering intently over an open book. An irrepressible smile forms on my face as I amble over and plop down across the table from him.

“Making any progress on Mendoza’s homework?”

            He looks up and sighs. “Oh hey. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to even start this problem.”

            “Well maybe we can figure it out if we work together.” I pull a tupperware container out of my backpack and place it on the table between us. “Good thing I brought some brain food!”

            His tired, droopy eyes light up as he opens the box. “Cookies! Sweet, thanks!” He grabs one and devours it. “Your baking is always so good. You’re gonna make a great wife someday,” he jokes, reaching for another.

            My heart stops for a moment, then makes up for lost time. My cheeks are hot. “Thanks, but it’s really nothing special.” I bend over my backpack, rifling through it for a missing object that doesn’t exist.

            “If you say so. Still, I’d love you forever if you brought treats like this to every study session,” he teases.

            “Anything for you,” I say, a bit too sincerely.

A black sneaker bumps into my shin as he shifts position, and lightening shoots across my skin. I instinctively pull my leg back, tucking it under my chair.

            “So have you looked at the problem yet?”

            “What? Oh, right.” I pull my textbook out and search for problem in question. “I haven’t yet, but let’s see…”

            “It’s this one here. I thought I understood the general concept, but�"” His voice fades to background noise as he reaches over the table to point it out. The fragrance of sandalwood and cinnamon hangs around him, and I can’t stop myself from taking in a deep breath. I keep my eyes firmly on the page in front of me.

            His phone buzzes on the table, and he withdraws to look at it.

            “Oh shoot, Tiff wants to work on the homework together at her place. Maybe we can meet up some other time?”

            A red-hot blade pierces my heart, and my hand is instinctively drawn to my chest. The intense pain stops my breath.

            “You okay?” I look up, and his deep blue eyes peer out intensely from under his furrowed brow. I shift my gaze and paste on a smile.

            “Uh, yeah, we can definitely meet some other time. Here, take the cookies to share with Tiffany!” I gesture to the container enthusiastically. “Let me know if you guys still can’t figure it out.”

            He throws his textbook and the tupperware into his bag and zips it up. “Sure, will do. Thanks again for the cookies!”

            His back blurs as he walks away, and a tear escapes down my cheek. I roughly wipe it away, take a deep breath, and force my eyes back onto my textbook. I’m going to have to give this homework my full attention if I’m going to figure it out on my own.

© 2018 sinclairrb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on December 27, 2018
Last Updated on December 30, 2018
Tags: unrequited love, short story, college, crush, studying, library

Author

sinclairrb
sinclairrb

CO



Writing
UNTITLED UNTITLED

A Book by sinclairrb


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by sinclairrb


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by sinclairrb