Reminders of My Sad Prose

Reminders of My Sad Prose

A Story by Althea Tremaine
"

On the craft of writing.

"

Reminders of My Sad Prose: Writing In A Time of Money

 

The craft of writing, over the course of history, has proved a veritable haven for people of passion. I, of course, am included in this tossed salad of metaphors and similes, alliteration and rhyme, and rhythm and flow. As far back as I remember, I've been that type of entity. In first grade, I wrote a book for my mom for mother's day. As a fifth grader, I wrote a song inspired by a book I read. My first novel was The Little Princess, a thick, old book I found once in our library. After that, I knew I longed to write. Poetry became an outlet for my emotions, good or bad, and soon after, my abilities became recognized by teachers and family members.

 

However, I remember going through phases as a writer. As a youngling, I wrote poetry with no rhythm, only rhymes, and my stories were very similar to books I read at the time. I suppose I tried to emulate the superiority of the novels I was introduced to. As I grew, perhaps in my middle school years, I began to mature a bit more as a writer. I began to get creative with the type of work I wrote, and it was then that I discovered the power of sinister writing. In high school, I began compiling a series of sinister short stories and poetry along with extremely happy poetry to publish a book. The title would have been "Spectrum," since there was a contrast of work. Unfortunately, I felt that I didn't have enough good pieces, and I've postponed the compiling of short stories, flash fiction, prose, and poetry.

 

However, this didn't stop me from sharing my work with other people. In fact, one of the best audiences I've written to is Congress. To make a long story short, I was angry about a presidential veto and decided to vent out through the form of letter. It was the best feeling in the world, although I'll never know whether they actually read my small note. Apart from my farfetched audience, however, I love sharing my work with other writers. I'm part of an online writing community in which, slowly but surely, I've begun to leave my mark among them. I suppose those are some of the toughest critics-the people who dedicate time to writing outside of that which is assigned, or anyone who cares enough for the art to spill emotion by its means. Family and friends are always great to start off, but it's the people who don't care about your feelings who can really tell you what's going on.

 

Apart from the passion, however, writers have the knowledge of just how hard it can be to write something. Countless barriers and obstacles could sway your writing abilities. Personally, I find myself having trouble writing during the day because it all seems too bright and happy for my mood. I don't necessarily enjoy having to write objectively and academically. I love free-writing on cloudy days because they reflect my inner being, the visionary, who in reality scribbles in my books and jabs at my keyboard.

 

I believe all writers have a separate entity that writes for them, and that entity is a reflection of their curiosities, thoughts, and dreams. The inspiration has to come from somewhere, perhaps novels, movies, stories, or experiences, but in the end it is that entity who shapes it all. I could have a desire to write something and as I sit at my desk contemplating how to start, for I believe that the first sentence is very important, I could begin writing something completely different. It's almost like I have no control. As for academic writing, I believe it contains a mixture of both entities, you and your writer, and for me as a whole, my writers have trouble concluding pieces, no matter which one it is.

 

So what are the implications of being a writer?

 

This is the question that plagues my mind continously. Is writing truly the right profession for, well, a writer? Is there honor in writing for money, or is the honor in writing for its own sake? Edgar Allan Poe is a classic example of a for-profit writer, yet he is one of the most eloquent, original writers I've ever had the pleasure of reading. On the other hand, there are many, many writers who have the talent and the passion, but not the money. So where does the glory truly lie?

 

Moreover, how does one make a career in a market where writing has become corporate without comprimising one's inherent worth and dignity?

 

And, lastly, is it worth compromising that dignity for a certain amount of cash? We live in a world where writers are beginning to short-sell themselves for the glory of publication. I remember not too long ago, a man was looking for someone to type edit 100 pages worth of work for $25. Not much later, the ad was answered. I was once hired for $8 an hour to blog, however, my duties also included handling a website, editing over 2000 photos on Photoshop, and pretty much anything my boss asked me to do. I lost sight of why I applied for the job in the first place, and 2 blogs later, I left.

 

I suppose what I'm trying to say is this: writing has become increasingly stained by greed and lack of insight. Whatever happened to the days where writing was truly noble? It seems we've been caught in the folds of the free market and its bourgeois nature. The writer's career has even come to a point where one may have to choose between a life without dignity or a life without comfort. Perhaps I'm wrong- I'm sure there is a percentage of writers who have both cake and ice cream, but I speak to the writer who submits what wants to be read, what wants to be published, and not what he or she intended.  Or maybe I speak to the writers who will take no orders and consequently face the shame of rejection.

Writing has changed in countless ways since its period of true nobility, but however painful or uncomfortable, I must admit I continue to cling on to its long, rough talons, and I have no intention of letting go.

 

We define what writing is, not the other way around.

© 2008 Althea Tremaine


Author's Note

Althea Tremaine
Blog format.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You speak to me and I understand. I, too, heard the call and felt the alure of writing at a young age. Problem was for me, though, I heard many calls. Whether I do art, music or writing, it all makes me feel the same way. It's something I have need of doing, and it satisfies. I can't NOT do these things.

At the urging of a friend, I did art for money for a while, but was never comfortable with it. For the last twenty years I've given my art away, and I like it much better like that. Although Poe, Frost and others spoke loudly to me all those years ago, I didn't get serious about writing until recently. I think you and I feel the same about this, and that is that the purest, best work is done out of passion and not for money.

Your thoughts on writing sound a lot like my own thoughts. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

intresting to say the very least. u hav captured thoughts that most are too afraid to say. however on some of which i must disagree. however, ur state of mind is rather inspiring in some way. though not directly. in some way it leaves its mark, as if it sets its self into the very cracks of our creative mind. what i mean to say is ur mind, it is rather intriging. though most writers minds are yours is very simalar to mine in a small way, it is like i said rather intriging.

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sorry have to come back ,forgot about the issue of money
i will tell you my idea,WRITING IS NOT FOR SALE,ha ha like love is not for sale
no never ,you write whats on your mind ,to bring it the best way you can ,if its any good they will come to you and even beg you
for your mind and your writing is what counts not their money off course you try to make it known ,but you will not go and publicize like any stuff in the market i have known great writers that died and hardly fed themselves ,and really what really SURPRISES ME THOSE WHO ARE SUCCESSFUL IN SELLING THEIR WORKS AND LIVE GOOD ,AND LIFE IS GOOD TO THEM,these writers i have never seen one really good writing by them its only those who are dying of hunger ,no so much as it is said actually,but they lived a bad life ,THOSE THAT GAVE HUMANITY THEIR BEST WORK ,ITS WORTH THE WHOLE WORLD MONEY IF YOU COME UP WITH A PIECE THAT SO MANY WILL REMEMBER YOU FOR IT,that's my opinion if you are looking for some true literature and to be true to yourself and your reader,and never to care for anything else,I know these are words of a dreamer ,that's what I am and that's what I care for,thats what i am working hard to accomplish...


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wonderful analysis to the world of writing and writers,i know how you say, how tormenting it is to write and finish what you are writing,and bring it in its most lovely form,
Inspiration my dear is the building block in this career ,when you have the words would flow so easy ,you dont even have to think,just let your hand typewrite...
and go on typing ,i am with you sometimes i sit and i have some ideas and i start to find my mind is writing some very different things and i let it do as it likes...
writing is never easy ,once i finish ,i feel all drained ,very tired ,its a wonderful thing ,for after you finish a writing you feel such elation and happiness you never felt before ,like you have given birth to something nice and new and creative that nobody ever raced you to it,and you feel so happy ,i could go on forever ,for this matter you can talk and talk,i just loved this writing ,it gave lots and lots to think of,very beautiful writing so thoughtful...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You speak to me and I understand. I, too, heard the call and felt the alure of writing at a young age. Problem was for me, though, I heard many calls. Whether I do art, music or writing, it all makes me feel the same way. It's something I have need of doing, and it satisfies. I can't NOT do these things.

At the urging of a friend, I did art for money for a while, but was never comfortable with it. For the last twenty years I've given my art away, and I like it much better like that. Although Poe, Frost and others spoke loudly to me all those years ago, I didn't get serious about writing until recently. I think you and I feel the same about this, and that is that the purest, best work is done out of passion and not for money.

Your thoughts on writing sound a lot like my own thoughts. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

364 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 17, 2008
Last Updated on October 17, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..