Rant on Character Appearance

Rant on Character Appearance

A Story by Sonia

Although I know these things obviously don't apply to all stories/books etc, this is just an observation of things I see in teen pop culture and in the majority of shows and movies. 
Why is it that characters are nearly all the time thin, beautiful and surrounded by multiple potential boyfriends/girlfriends or suitors? I find that this is extremely prevalent in stories with a high school setting. 
I myself went to high school and I consider myself to have gone through a normal experience. And that normal experience did in no way contain a high school full of tall, model gorgeous people who were all dating or involved in some life altering drama. I know people want their story to be eye catching, to have the main characters immediately loved by the readers, and it's hard to do this if your main character is fat, does nothing out of the ordinary, etc. 
But people should realize that our world is DIVERSE. People who don't look like models, aren't super thin, etc, still have a story to tell. Also, it is a bit popular to portray the antagonists in the story as fat, lazy, ugly, etc to make the less appealing to the reader. But if you are a true writer, you should be able to turn any character in to the villain just by their actions and thoughts, not relying on their appearance. 
Another thing, if you take a random group of people, the probability is that only one of them is going to be noticeably beautiful. The rest will be average, and it's granted that some will be not attractive. But how often do we hear those people's story? Can you think of 10 stories or books that realistically show something from a average looking person? Even movies/stories that seem to deal with "ugly" people (ex. beauty and the beast, a princess story, penelope...i can't even think of any others...) end the story with the ugly person being transformed or made over into someone pretty. That just creates the impression on the world that average looking people are just waiting for their "transformation", which is a horrible thing to think. Why can't our stories portray someone just appreciating how they look, however they look, and fitting in with society perfectly fine?
So yeah...i've got to go to class but maybe i'll add more to this rant later...
Please tell me what you think in the comments below!

© 2012 Sonia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
Added on March 7, 2012
Last Updated on March 7, 2012

Author

Sonia
Sonia

CA



About
Hmm...where to begin... Well, my name is Sonia and I am currently a college freshman. Though I am not majoring in writing it is one of my great passions, along with many other things which occupy my .. more..

Writing
... ...

A Poem by Sonia


Comfort Comfort

A Poem by Sonia


Addiction Addiction

A Poem by Sonia