Pumpkin Spice and Cryptids

Pumpkin Spice and Cryptids

A Story by smear
"

A prompt from Diggory. Eian and Thomas (their character) go hunting. Almost.

"

The sky was orange like fire, warm and inviting as the sun sank below the hilled horizon. The leaves were dyed red and brown, orange and yellow, as the green was burned away by fall’s embrace. All this was a bit too nice, considering Eian was still in Jersey. Eian looked away from the sunset, and over to the young man who had been in the car next to him. He had red hair, but not nearly as fiery as Eian’s own, and warm brown eyes that he thought were worth keeping around. Even if Eian was still in Jersey.

The two had met on a hike not too long ago, if four months is anything to brag about. The leaves were still all the same ugly color, and the air so humid that even a braid couldn’t keep Eian’s hair from sticking out every which way. Thomas had a lot less of that to deal with,considering he was nearly clean shaven in comparison. That didn’t stop them from bumping into each other though, dropping everything, and trading found objects when it happened again a few weeks later.

“Hey, man?” Thomas leaned in to peak at Eian, under all the hair that refused to stay out of his face. “You okay? You’re getting a little spacey on me.”

“Hmm. Hmm?” Eian hummed without moving a muscle, save to look down to Thomas, and his hands gripped the wheel a bit tighter when he realizes he’d been staring. “Spacey? That’s a nice way to put it, isn’t it?” He chuckles, easing up his posture. “I was waiting for you to tell me where we’re going. Where did you want to look for this thing?”

Thomas sits back up, before slumping back into the seat. Hm. “You know what? There’s something I think we need to make this a perfect trip.”

“I’m not sure what could make a hunt for a “Jersey Devil” perfect, but I’ll humor it.” As he often did. With that, he cleared his throat. “I’m still going to you to tell me where we’re going.”

“It’s THE Jersey Devil.” He muttered. Looking down at his lap, Thomas’ leg started ease back and forth. He wanted it to be a surprise, but how could he if Eian was driving? He supposed he could take the wheel, but honestly he didn’t want to. Eian drove a standard truck, it was a bright red color that only someone as weird as him would like. “Could I drive?” He smiled reluctantly, looking as innocent as ever.

Eian was already weary of the other’s intentions. Not because of distrust or anything, but Eian didn’t let just anyone drive Celtic Steel (though the truck was actually made in Germany and was made mostly of iron and aluminium). “Can you drive stick?” He said in a neutral tone.

“Heck yeah, I can!” Thomas smiled, considering this a chance to show his stuff. His Know how. His “can do” attitude. Ah-hem. “I’ve known how to for a while now.” He sighed onto his nails to polish them, like characters in movies do when they’re trying to look cool. Tom was just being a dork.

This didn’t make Eian feel any better about it, but he knew the other was a capable lad. “Alright, you can drive.” He cleared his throat, just sitting there for a moment, before he actually got out of the car.

Thomas raised his eyebrow in return, before getting up himself and scurrying over the console to adjust everything. Upon getting in, Eian chuckled, “That’s one way to do it.” Buckling up as he looked in the back, he ran over the list of everything they had in his head. “I’m ready when you are, my Lord.”

“Uh-huh.” Thomas was too busy with his mirrors to be a smartass, but soon enough the pair took off with what sounded like a gunshot from the muffler.


It was after the next exit came and left, the Thomas would pull into a little shop on the side of the road. Not big enough to be a truckstop, but still liminal enough. There was even a cartoonishly typical dumpster off to the side of the building. “This is not the place I thought I would be murdered.” Eian dryly stated. “This is where you’re murdering me, right dear?”

Thomas still wasn’t sure how to take Eian’s special brand of humor, but he assumed he was supposed to laugh at that. He didn’t. “Nooo, that wouldn’t make this the PERFECT trip, would it dude?”

“It depends on your deffinition of perfect.”

If Thomas had a spray bottle, he would have used it on Eian. “No, just come in!” He exclaimed, both excited and a bit impatient.

“Alright, alright.” Eian smiled, before conceding and following the other out of the truck.

Upon walking in, Eian took note that it was a quaint little place, not unlike where he’d do his Sunday brunch. You know, if he went to church. And liked brunch. He didn’t really like sweets at all really.

Thomas gave Eian’s arm a light punch for being spacey again, as he walked passed and into the line. There was only one other person getting a bunch of breakfast sandwiches, like, 20 of them. It must have been a evening manic episode, before it was just one person with a odd, giddy aura and little else to explain. “Hello, what would you like today?” The lone attendant greeted our fierce cryptid hunters.

It was when Eian was about to speak, that Thomas puffed out his chest and did all the talking. “We will take two large pumpkin spice lattes please. Extra whip cream.”

That was the most confidently placed order Eian had ever heard, but he still spoke up. “And an egg ‘n cheese wrap.” Thomas looked at him, feigning offense that his order had been hijacked, let alone that Eian was not amazed at the surprise he just revealed.

“Will that be all?”

“Uh- yeah. Thank you.” Tommy bashfully smiled, his thunder stolen like he was Zeus or something. Ew, Zeus.

“Was that the big reveal?” Eian asked, curious.

“Yes. Yes it was.” Thomas crossed his arms, like a disappointed father.

“Thank you.” Eian smiled, “I’ll tolerate pumpkin spice for a friend.”

‘What?!” Thomas jaw fell slack, before he shook his head. “You don’t like pumpkin spice?!”

“I’m kidding!” Eian chuckled, “I’m kidding.” Before their drinks and one (1) wrap were delivered.

Thomas’ stomach growled as he took out a $20. He blushed slightly - “Uh, could I actually get one of those too.”

© 2017 smear


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on August 6, 2017
Last Updated on August 6, 2017
Tags: pumpkin spice, jersey devil, short

Author

smear
smear

vestal, NY



About
hi! my name is smear. im 22, agender, and love to draw and write. also make music. i go by they/them pronouns. more..

Writing