FROM HONEY MOON TO DIVORCE

FROM HONEY MOON TO DIVORCE

A Story by JENY
"

It is just a story dealing with a strange cause for a divorce

"

           From Honey Moon

                  To Divorce

    “Please stop” she shrieked so loud that made his foot press the break pedal involuntarily.

 

  She jumped out of the jeep with her suit case in her hand. He came out, slowly, stood slanting on the bonnet of the car bemused by sudden twist of her mood. Her face was red in anger. She was panting.

‘Why…..what happened?’ he asked desperately.


‘I cant bear this any longer’ she said


"What?"


“Your damn silence” she blurted out. “We have been traveling more than 100km together and you didn’t utter a word to me. You drive as if I am not inside the vehicle” she looked at him accusingly.


"What should I do? I never thought…" he groped for words and his gullet went dry.

 

 

“You know I do not talk too much..and all that…” he continued, his voice was very feeble and there was sweat on his forehead.


“How this will work out without talking? I wonder…”she looked at him with her eyes incredibly wide open.

 

“What?” he asked candidly his eyes behind thick lenses of his specs searched her face.


“This….this….this so called honey moon of us” she finished it with a sigh to hide her embarrassment.

 

He gazed down and removed his specs walked slowly towards her. He stood so close to her and gazed into her eyes for a long time that she had a feeling of being mesmerized. His gaze seemed to be talking her myriad languages that she will not be able to decipher in this life span.

                 In the evening when he kissed her for the first time she noticed that he was never passionate. He handled her so carefully as if a priest handling offerings for his God, so respectfully, so piously, so carefully dispassionate. After each expression of his love or sex, he gazed into her eyes as if to make sure that both his love and sex for her were never separate. She had never read or seen this sort of love making before. Till the end of their one week honey moon trip, he remained silent but every now and then whispered in her ears “I love you Honey” with a sincere smile. 

                    He kept on saying it like a prayer.

           She noticed that he had taken a lot of books with him to read. In the hotel room, while she watched Rock and Roll on TV, he lost himself in his books. He was often too late to bed. He was terribly calm.

                   In the morning a group of photographers swarmed around them to get a snap of Nobel laureate and his bride in their honey moon. He said volubly about his new project in quantum mechanics. She stood there wonder struck on seeing his enthusiasm while talking to reporters.

                 She discovered the fact, he will never talk to her like that as she is an illiterate in quantum mechanics. Though herself a post graduate in literature, her hope to pick up tit bits of quantum mechanics from her Nobel Prize winner hubby will remain as a mirage. She felt herself in the grip of a loneliness that is likely to haunt her as a fatal disease throughout her life’s journey with him.

                      One week after their Honey Moon, news paper reporters gathered round his office. They wanted to know about his divorce. They wanted to know what made the marriage to disrupt hardly after one week.

 

His answer was, “I never divorced her. It is she who left me”

Reporters swarmed around her residence and inquired her as if in sympathy.

Her stance was “He is already married. He is married to quantum mechanics. He doesn’t need a second wife.”

 

“What is your next plan?” asked one of the greedy reporters.

“To marry somebody who will know the mechanism of Love. Not theory of love. Mechanism of Love” she reiterated. News paper and TV reporters laughed aloud. She too joined them.

 

                  He sat there, alone, reading the news again and again. He went through her lines many times. “Mechanism of love” …he kept on repeating it to himself.

 

“You will never master it” his friend and mentor told him whom he sought for advice.

        He walked slowly towards his study. Looked at the wall where the big portrait of Saint Vivekananda stood beaming with a determined countenance. Caption above the huge portrait read “Arise, awake, stop not till the target is reached”.

               He sat in the chair in front of study table. Pampered his books of quantum physics, Meta physics, physical chemistry…..so on. While going through those pages he felt as if sitting in a church and talking to God himself.

                          In the night, before going to bed, he wrote in his diary like this “Some men pass through their life without being understood by others. Such people indulge themselves in mechanism of world love, a love for the universe. As they are never understood by others, they are never bound by ephemeral, transient, easily volatile versions of love. Only these people can taste real freedom in this life itself.”

                      He lived alone for the rest of his life.  

 

© 2010 JENY


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dear JENY,

A very interesting piece. Two people with very different personalities and needs. As marriage is a partnership, the wife was right to leave. This would never work for her although it looked like it would have been just fine for the husband. And I found your description of his motivations interesting. His excitement was confined to his work. But not his love. His repeated "I love you" to his wife on their honey moon seemed sincere. He took time and repeatedly looked deeply into her eyes. His love for her was a quiet and deep love. It was the same deep love he had for the Universe and for physics. He didn't jump up and down with excitement in his study with this love of nature, but it was a deep passion that he followed throughout his life. This was his "mechanism" of love. It was not just a theory. But these two people could nover have lived together successfully. Still, I wonder who did better without passionate, physical love and romantic infatuation that sweeps aside all other interests. I suspect it was the husband. Still, this was a tragedy for both parties. Too bad they didn't know each other better before they got married.

A fine write. Very thought provoking.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was quite an interesting story. I saw no love turning to hate, nor inseparability turning into distance. I saw a curious kind of love. I saw a distance that was already there from the beginning. He has so much passion for his work. The kind of passion she knows she can never have from him. I like how he obsesses about it a little bit. He's renown for his knowledge of the most complex of sciences, but something as common as the romanticized notion of love is lost to him. Wonderful write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nicely written. Too often we lose the love of our lives because we're too wrapped up in our own work or our own interests. Instead of paying attention to them we focus on us and what we want and then they leave. I think he learned his lesson.

Posted 13 Years Ago


you are a councelor and it shows .. the uncanny ability to delve deeper into relationships .. was a nice story ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


A rather unique piece of work. Too often does love ring hollow these days. Now, it is naught but a fantasy young women seek but shall never find. This story is a reflection of yet another fantasty dosed by the waters of reality. Albeit I bite my tongue on the issue here after; fantasy and reality are two very seperate worlds.
Personal taste aside; your grammer appears to be one of your stronger characteristics. Albeit your writing style in this story feels more like a newspaper article than anything. Good job though.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Excellent story which I enjoyed greatly.

I liked these lines......"She felt herself in the grip of a loneliness that is likely to haunt her as a fatal disease throughout her life’s journey with him".
I thought the ending was fantastic....great insight.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this. It puts a lot of reflection on marriage... Some people are meant for it, some are not.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a very good write you have here. Secondly you show how quickly love can turn into hate how being inseparable can turn into distance. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a story for all people who want to get marry. Sometime best to taste the wine before buying. I believe on a honey moon. Never drive anywhere. Nothing better to create friction is a highway. I like this story a lot. Should be posted in a wedding dress magazine. May save a few mistake being made. This is a outstanding story. There is wisdom in the words.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on May 10, 2010
Tags: Relationships

Author

JENY
JENY

Kerala, Thrissur, India



About
friends I am back... more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by JENY


RESEARCH RESEARCH

A Poem by JENY


IF YOU LEAVE ME IF YOU LEAVE ME

A Poem by JENY



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Boyhood Boyhood

A Poem by Tate Morgan