PROSTITUTE'S SON

PROSTITUTE'S SON

A Poem by JENY
"

Wrote for the contest Poetry Form of Albert

"

PROSTITUTE’S SON

Same shame I felt

When they asked me

Who is my father.


Same ignominy gripped me

When they asked me

Why my mother works in the night


Same disgrace shattered me

When they asked me

Why my mother is not coming to see me.


I knew who is a prostitute

But my classmates knew a prostitute is bad


I knew my mother is good

But lessons said a prostitute is bad


I knew I have no escape

But, my restless soul is searching for a way out


I am not a prostitute.

But money I pay is that of a prostitute

Money I pay is that of men who pay a prostitute


My mess fee is that of a prostitute

My boarding fee is that of a prostitute

My tuition fee is that of a prostitute.


My body is made of a prostitute’s.

It is still eating a prostitute’s food

I want to vomit what I eat


Which school can teach me

To escape from this cage

Into which I am born,to pay for a sin,not mine.

© 2010 JENY


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In this poem you've done an excellent job of taking a taboo subject and spreading an awareness to the reader.

Sometimes prostitution is seen as a victimless crime but here you remind us that the prostitute may have a family and they too live under the same shadow. You really drive the message home when you list all of the educational bills that are paid for with this money, 'my mess fee is that of a prostitute my boarding fee is that of a prostitute my tuition fee is that of a prostitute'. These are all such positive things but subsidised in such a negative way. It really breaks the stereotype that some assume a prostitutes earnings are spent on drugs or alcohol.

The main emotional feature that stands out for me in this poem is one of the tremendous guilt the child feels. Everything in her life is paid for with what she sees as immoral earnings but that is only half the story. When the narrator confides, 'my body is made of a prostitutes' as a reader we learn that the work of the mother has uttery tainted the child. This is confirmed with the acknowledgement that life is seen as a 'cage' which no lesson can provide an escape from.

Technically I like the way you've stuck with the use of the word 'prostitute' rather than rely on euphemisms. The word has a certain stigma and it's regular occurrence in the poem prevents the reader from maybe shying away from the reality.

I really like the informative nature of this poem and the fact that you've not voiced your own opinion here. Rather it's left to the reader to decide based entirely on the story and their feeling for the narrator.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

THis was really good. There were a few times when the flow died but this was a really good poem. Great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooooo, I like this and agree with the other reviews, very powerful indeed. I guess we never think of the legacy we unconsciously give our children merely through conception. This is a great piece that really focuses on that idea. How does one deal with something that they did not ask for or can not change? Very good writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


i am glad to finally read a write of your's without any error :) ... as always you take up subjects that are somehow too stigmatic for others to talk about it ! rightfully brought out the anguish and the dilemma that such a child would find himself/herself in ..

Posted 13 Years Ago


Like everyone else had said, this is a very powerful poem. Shows how much the boy detests of his mother profession... Brilliant work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very powerful, I could actually feel the emotions, it made me sad and angish myself. Good work ^^

Posted 13 Years Ago


Powerful piece:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Powerful lines, but I didn't really feel a flow.. they all seem isolated to me. I would also consider broadening your word choice a little bit. Otherwise, this was a good job. It was aggressively written, and brought understanding for the situation.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The poem is as powerful and strong as the first time. Sometime the world opinion can destroy a family. I like the conflict in the words. That will lead to a bad ending till the prostitute son grow up and understands. A powerful poem on a difficult subject.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very strong lines. Clearly shows the desperation and angst of the son. I loved especially the lines "I knew who is a prostitute, But my classmates knew a prostitute is bad" and "I knew my mother is good, But lessons said a prostitute is bad" :) But 7th and 8th Stanzas just didn't fit in :) Nice write.

Kudos.

Posted 13 Years Ago


One should not blame ones self for the
misguided actions of another. it's up to
that person to wipe the slate clean and
become stronger and wiser in the ways
of the world. Excellent write Jeny......

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1064 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 9, 2010
Last Updated on July 9, 2010
Tags: Society

Author

JENY
JENY

Kerala, Thrissur, India



About
friends I am back... more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by JENY


RESEARCH RESEARCH

A Poem by JENY


IF YOU LEAVE ME IF YOU LEAVE ME

A Poem by JENY



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Virtual Virtual

A Poem by RTB