Our Story

Our Story

A Story by absmith
"

This story is written in the perspective of a 17 year old boy who is unaccepted in today's society because he is gay but overcomes all odds to meet the boy of his dreams.

"

       By May 25, 2014, the second day of summer, there had yet to be activity in my social life. Well let's be honest here, I'm 5'4, seventeen years old, have brown eyes that are hidden by bulky glasses, I aspire to be a writer and my name is Burk. Yes, I said Burk. Oh and I forgot to mention the fact that I have dirty-blonde "Justin Bieber" hair, that my mother refuses to let me cut because it would mean I'm "growing up" . Honestly I don't care that my hair looks like this but in today's society appearance Is everything. If your hair isn't quiffed , and your a guy, your pretty much irrelevant to the "attractive people". My brother's hair is quiffed but he's on the football team but that hairstyle is a priority because football players are flagged as "hot". Which I can't really disagree with due to the fact that Zeek Splatsky is on the football team. He is one fine hunk of dude. He's 5'8, gorgeous brown eyes and hair ... and sadly into girls. If you couldn't tell by now, I'm gay.

       The way you know Zeek is popular is because people call him Splatsky. Apparently, in highschool, if people call you by your last name your popular. Also I know because if my name was Zeek the "popular kids" would call me Zeek the Geek, and say it like it's a name brand. What the hell are "popular kids" anyway? People who are genetically blessed? People who have rich parents, because they're too damn lazy to work. People who have a lot of so called "friends"? Well I think that's all bullshit , popularity is just a bunch of people with deep rooted issues. Whether the issue be control or  insecurity , I think popularity is just a big cover up. I mean us "nerds, also a unneeded label, have issues and flaws but the popular kids point them out. Honestly, I'm glad they pointed mine out because now I'm not the same person I was freshman year.

      Not being a freshman anymore, I have more responsibilities. One being going to driving school. Which wasn't too bad because its part of the program to drive with other students and sometimes there are cute boys. I get distracted by their hotness and realized that they are recklessly driving a car that I am in.

      Saturday June 7th was the day that my life changed forever. I went to driving school, as usual, and guess who was there? ... Yeah, it was Zeek super hot Splatsky. The crazy thing was I never noticed him being in the class, but I wasn't complaining. Somehow we got paired together to go for the two hour driving test . Like I said, I wasn't complaining. Anyway we go and needless to say we both passed, but more importantly I was about to do the craziest thing I'd ever done. 

       Once we got out the car to go home I yelled "Zeek". Right after I said it  all I could think was be prepared , he's going to beat the s**t out of you. But before I could run away he turned around and said "Burk , right?". I said "yeah , but I didn't know you knew my name" Zeek responded with " I've seen you around". I thought if he'd seen me around and hadn't made fun of me, that's a good sign. After realizing we were both standing there awkwardly I thought I should see if he wants to hangout. I mean were close to graduating if things go bad, right?...   But I swear according to what came out  my mouth next my balls must've grown three inches. Before I could process the right words in the correct order I said " Do you want to maybe hangout with me , maybe?"! He just stood there and looked at me, internally I said "S**t! he's about to punch you in your premature baby face". Then right before I could said "please don't," he said "like a date?". I had two options, I say "no" and maybe we hangout or I say "yes" and possibly get embarrassed or worse, beaten. I went with option one. He agreed to hangout with me and we played video games at his house that night for three hours. It was the most fun I'd had in a while. Ever since that night we had hung out a couple times, well four to be exact but who's counting.  He called me June 20th and asked me to meet him at the local pizza joint for dinner. Which was strange because the other five times  we hung out it had been at his house, now he wanted to meet in public. I got so excited and was buggin' out all day. I took a shower and prepared myself for what tonight  might require of my social skills.

       I arrived at Papa's Pizza Palace at 7:00 pm to meet Zeek. We had a nice talk over a meat pizza and unneeded breadsticks. Once we got to his truck to say goodnight, he said "Burk, ya know I never thought anybody could bring out the true me but you did. I can be myself around you and with that said I'm about to tell you something I've never told anyone". I didn't need a mirror to see the expression on my face. It was a face of confusion. I said "what are you talking about". He said "Burk, I have feelings for you!". I just stood there for probably a solid two minutes, as he looked around. I kept thinking , maybe it's a trap- ya know , trick the genderly  confused nerd or maybe he's waiting for me to confess my love for him, the he laughs in my face and says it's all a joke. With  all these thoughts scanning my brain I go into defensive mode and ask about football and why he had never told anyone.  I just started rambling about pointless things and then... he kissed me. I was mega shocked, I didn't know what to say. So I just smiled at him as he starred into my eyes. After a minute of that he offered to bring me home, at that point I wasn't even worried about my car getting left there. He started up the truck  and on the way home everything felt like a movie. No, our story isn't the cookie cutter boy/girl story but it sure was ours. We weren't perfect and didn't pretend to be. On the way home that Friday night , we each stuck our arm out of the truck giving the illusion of some type of winged bird truck and sang along with Ellie Goulding's Anything Can Happen. That night I realized anything could happen no matter the circumstances, even if you think you know them. 

© 2014 absmith


Author's Note

absmith
I've always had my best ideas when I'm sleeping and one night I had an idea about being unaccepted. In the world we live in today some people aren't excepted , whether it be due to race, gender, or who you love. So I decided to write this due to the fact that I can't go to highschool and not see someone getting made fun of for being gay. I didn't want to write about "expected " love because that's mainstream.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'll admit the subject matter is not in my interest, I do like the underlying message 'anything is possible', 'go for what you want, you may be surprised'. You have a fine grasp of what's inside your character's head and you're able to convey that quite well; however, there is no story, you 'told' me everything that happened, rather than telling it from the perceptive of the character and allowing it to play out. A short-story with this internal message, along with some unspoken ones, could be elaborated on, and made more prevalent.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

absmith

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your input,I understand what your talking about .



Reviews

I like this, you are using your own voice and that is what matters. Honestly, it was interesting and I could not tell what would happen next!

Posted 9 Years Ago


absmith

9 Years Ago

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts a lot.
I'll admit the subject matter is not in my interest, I do like the underlying message 'anything is possible', 'go for what you want, you may be surprised'. You have a fine grasp of what's inside your character's head and you're able to convey that quite well; however, there is no story, you 'told' me everything that happened, rather than telling it from the perceptive of the character and allowing it to play out. A short-story with this internal message, along with some unspoken ones, could be elaborated on, and made more prevalent.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

absmith

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your input,I understand what your talking about .

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

535 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 28, 2014
Last Updated on August 9, 2014

Author

absmith
absmith

LA



About
I'm a teenager & almost everything I write has nothing to do with me. Now I know most people will argue and say that it isn't "good" writing unless it has a true feeling behind it but whatever, that'.. more..

Writing
The Journey The Journey

A Poem by absmith


Strength Strength

A Poem by absmith