Teenagers Today

Teenagers Today

A Story by Sofea

Please don’t tell me you’re going out with that fragment of cloth, young lady.


Yes, you. Just because your mum had gone on that overseas business trip does not make it possible for you to cross any lines when I’m in charge.  What will your father say if he sees you dressing so inappropriately?


No, I don’t think he’ll approve, and I would deeply appreciate it if you don’t say “he’s cool about it.” Don’t you make stories and presume that it’s alright with him. I know your father too well.


When I was your age, we girls wore decent floral dresses when we wanted to go out. Long printed ones, always below our knees. Anything higher, we would rather stay at home than having to listen to long dreadful lectures from our fathers! Your great-grandfather was very particular when it came to our dressing and attitude as young teenage girls. We were brought up very well. And I expect the same from you.


No, I don’t care if you need to be at Sunway Pyramid in 15 minutes. Yes, read my lips, I don’t care.

You’re not going anywhere tonight. You’re just a knee-high to a grasshopper Elena, and you need to learn some lessons from your good old grandma. I don’t want you to sow your wild oats. Neither do I want you to waste your teenage years away.


Don’t you know how lucky you are? You come from a good family, a family who had provided you with good education.  Back then; being able to go to school was a luxury, something that not many had the privilege to do. My parents had to go through thick and thin to put good food on the table, let alone provide us with proper education. Today, education comes to you on a silver platter. You can go to school, you can learn, you can make friends. Yet, why is it that you do not use your true potential to achieve greater heights?


Now, Elena, don’t you try to debate with me. Girl, listen. 


Let me tell you, being a teenager is one of the most wonderful phases in your life. A ‘transition period’ they call it, you’re not quite a child; not quite an adult either. This is the time when you should stretch your limits and discover some of the greatest talents you have in you. I know you have it in you Lena; you just need to open your eyes to the world around you, step up and believe that you can reach the stars.


I know, I know. I know that you’re trying dear.

Teenagers today are much influenced with the social media and technology. I’m not saying that all these developments are bad, but there must be a certain limit to these things. I want you to be able to make the right choices, and to do what is right. You are fortunate to live in the 21st century, where you can enjoy such great inventions. Take for example the internet.


Yes, I do know what the internet is, my girl.


I find it a truly fantastic invention! You can find all sorts of information on various topics. I tried Google once and found nearly 22 000 searches at the drop of a hat when I was looking for a recipe on cinnamon pastries. I’m sure you can actually put it to great use to gain knowledge rather than spending countless hours on social networking sites.


How do I know that? Well, your mum complains about your habits of course.

It’s high time you give your eyeteeth for something. You need to change your mindset and do something that you would one day be proud of. I know you can, and I know you will, if you are given the chance to. You are a catalyst of change, dear, all of you teenagers are. I can see how passionate you are when you are doing something you love. The other day when you were involved in the TX2 campaign to save the tigers, I was so proud of you. You actually stepped up and showed how passionate you were in saving the endangered species. In today’s world, the possibilities towards success are endless and there are so many things you can do to make a difference. Your voice is not small girl, neither is that burning flame in you.


Remember when you were a little girl? And you told me you wanted to be a famous author, just like J.K. Rowling? I can still see that girl in you, that girl who wanted all her dreams to come true. Do you know what you should say to that dream of yours, Lena? What a pie in the sky idea!


You know what I think about teenagers today Elena?


To me, all of you are slowly emerging into discovering the world. Take a look at the recent events in the Middle East. Over the past month, local news showed images of brutal fighting in the Middle East. Women, men and children were crowding at Tahrir Square, praying for a new era of Egypt, hoping for a revolution. Amongst the crowd were teenagers like you, Lena. These young boys and girls were voicing out their rights, and showing such determination and passion; standing strong and tall as a unified society. Nobody was telling them what to do. They thought for themselves, and they stood up for what they believed in. They wanted a bright future ahead, for their community, and for their country. They wanted a new life Lena, they wanted a change. As they chanted and demanded to be heard, you were in the comfort of your home, having to worry about nothing more than your school exams.

Don’t you feel lucky, Elena?


These teenagers played a part in making a change for their country. They had to face challenges and hurdles to accomplish such possibilities. As Dr. Mahdi had said, large pockets of frustrated teens remain a ticking time bomb in Middle Eastern political landscapes. They are playing a big part in our world today.

 You see, teenagers in some parts of the world aren’t even allowed to go to school. Till today, they continue to live their lives under oppression. They are struggling with globalization and its aftermath. They are fraught with expectations in their every day lives. Questions continue to boggle in their minds, how and when and what about me?  

Have you heard of adultism, Lena?


Adultism is discrimination against young people. This happens when teenagers or youth are suppressed from giving their opinions. They are punished, neglected and silenced because they are not adults. In some cases, these innocent teenagers are abused verbally, physically and mentally. They are fighting for their lives Lena; they are trapped because words are not enough to torch the light out all their suffering.


Owh darling, there, there, don’t cry, Lena. Let me see your bright smile?

You’re going to go through this phase with dignity and success, Elena.


Why?


Because I have faith in you.  

 

© 2018 Sofea


Author's Note

Sofea
I would really appreciate some constructive criticism. I want to be able to improve this piece of work. Please let me know what I could do. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There is no criticism to give you know the teenager well Sophia and show that you are also well aware of the worlds current affairs and how the young are screaming for acceptance...let us guide them to the task of taking the world and changing it for a better future...

Posted 13 Years Ago



wow, this was awesome! I loved the style of it and how you used her grandmother as the narrator. I'm a teen also, so I know how annoying it can be for an older adult( especially an elderly person ) to be preaching to you, but it's actually beneficial, and you illustrated that well in your poem, great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


"As Dr. Mahdi had said" Take out the "had"

You really know what you're talking about. I liked that it started out with those usual points older people make about the way teenagers dress. I was immediately on the defense. (I still am. I will NOT be wearing any floral dresses.) And then it turned into a life lesson, something every teenager should hear from someone. First the usual lecture, then showing Elena how much she has to be grateful for (thanks for defending education, by the way. Way too many teenagers resent the fact that they have to go to school without understanding how great it is that they get to go to school) and then showing Elena how great her youth and voice is, what it could be put to use for. A great procession through the lecture. I also like that you used a relevant example for our time, something teens can relate to and see for themselves, rather than dismissing it as the distant path. That's a lot of the problem, I think. Teenagers can't understand something they've never been through, such as the civil rights movement or the war in Vietnam. In those days, young people stood up for what they believed in. Now, I don't see so much of that going on.

I also liked the part about the internet. Such a useful tool that goes to waste in the hands of teens. Although, my grandmother doesn't understand it too much at all. :)

You write really well, even through the voice of an old woman who has seen it all. It's really impressive. Now really challenge yourself and write a response through the mouth of a teen, defending our way of expression and how we live our lives. Now that's stretching your talents. :P

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dev
This is so good! It's different and very unique and it's also highly mature! I love this write! Thumbs up! xo

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is exceptional. Are you sure you're not 40? ;-) You have much more wisdom in that teenage head of yours than many your age, that's for sure! I wish I had been as smart when I was your age. I loved this lecture/story written from the Grandmother's perspective, full of insight, wisdom, and understanding. You did more than a fine job on this. You should be very proud, (and so should your parents for raising such a talented, respectful and charming daughter) You are certainly an ambassador for teenagers everywhere! I look forward to reading more of your work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was a really good piece. I would add more but I am using my iPod.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You are a writer. The story went in many directions. I like the advice given to the girl. I like the real problems of the world added into the story. The poem was entertaining and educational. I enjoy stories that teach and entertain. You did. A very strong ending to a outstanding story. You need to share this with more people.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2018
Tags: teenagers

Author

Sofea
Sofea

Malaysia



About
My name is Sofea Take away the 'e' and put in the 'i' it's the capital of Bulgaria Still seventeen and still learning I'm a girl who finds the world amazing! I love to read and write Throw me.. more..

Writing
Growing apart Growing apart

A Poem by Sofea


Love and hope Love and hope

A Poem by Sofea



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Leaf The Last Leaf

A Poem by Linear