A moment to remember

A moment to remember

A Story by sohadtolba
"

Couples look froward for anniversaries or valentines day to exchange their love and content. Remind each other with the great moments and seek together the best to come.

"

Anniversaries are the moments we wait eagerly to share our emotions, love and gratitude with the person we love. We cherish and plan ahead, but the question: does it always turn as we imagine?

 

 

It is their anniversary. Will he remember? Dina wondered.

 

She moved around, pressing on her hands and watching him reading his newspapers. “It is our 26th” she murmured to herself. 

 

"Are you talking to yourself woman? OH, have you gone old?” James rose his right eyebrow.

 

“Old? I am only 49, James.” Dina shrunk her lip.

 

“You are 50 Dina. Now don’t lie to yourself. I am getting old too. Don’t make a fuss about it.” Reading his newspapers.

 

Her tears were silent and fast. She was sure now that he has forgotten their anniversary. She hastened back to her room, shaking as she sat on the bed. Their wedding album was there beside her. She held it, opening each page with a fierce grab and began remembering.

 

 

                       *                       *                             *

 

Dina was on her sofa swing in the backyard, bending her left leg and pushing with the other. It was a gift from James on her 24th birthday. As dreamy as she was, James came with some flowers. He walked towards her, kissed her on the cheeks and smiled.

 

“Dina, I want you to join me in Italy” looking deep into her eyes.

 

 "Won’t he propose? She asked herself. Then she spoke, “Well, James. What is the occasion?”

 

She twisted her head, breathing strong as she waited for his answer.

 

“Dina, my grandparents lives in Italy and I want them to see you. Besides, there is a good opportunity there to work with my grandpa”.

 

“So, is that all about then? You want me to go there for a job opportunity?" Dina stood up.

 

“No, No. OOOH . Why are you torturing me, Dina?! You know I don’t mean that. I am bad with words. You are making it hard for me!” he walked about, closing and opening his eyes. 

 

“Dina, I .. I.. loovee you. I do - I do. I want us to get married there. It was a surprise, but as usual, you always destroy my surprise. Why Dina, why? I… I wanted to propose, but I don’t know how. I just don’t."

 

She touched his cheek and softly kissed him.

 

“You are my baby, James. And you will always be. "

 

 Is it a yes then?”

 

“On the travelling?’ teasing him.

 

“Diinnaaaa!”

 

“Yes, James. Yes of course. Till death do us part.” They hugged so tight.

 

They traveled to Italy and got married there. It was a perfect wedding plan. Everything she imagined and more. As soon as the honeymoon was over, James had to start with his grandpa the business. After 10 years, they went back to USA having Lara and Maria with them.  James bought them a big house and had his own business.  He got busy then; he barely saw the children or even got a chance to sit Dina. Dina spent most of her time meeting with other women; who James forced her to deal with for his business. In her spare time, she read lots of romance novels. She took good care of her children as well as a good mother should be. She knew that waiting for James is just a waste of time. He never returned home before midnight and went to work in the early morning. James turned his house into a hotel, Dina thought to herself. Yet, she still loved him.

 

Years went by and James’ business grew. He got more and more occupied. He made Maria marry his partner’s son for expanding the company. Lara was lucky and ran-away with her boyfriend. They never heard from her since.  Now, it was only the two of them. The gap between them was wider and stronger. He had his secretary reminding him for sending their anniversary gift to Dina.

 

"Thanks God-he got to choose them- every single one of them at least" Dina telling herself.

 

In a Christmas evening, Dina was Maria and her beautiful children waiting for James to return. A knock was at the door which made Dina wondered. She hesitatingly got to see who it was. An officer delivered the message of the accident. Since that day, James was not able to monitor his work and move around easily. He decided to sell his company. Dina thought he would be free and have time to spend with her. But, it was always his newspapers and card friends.

     *                       *                               *

She remembered now, he didn't get another anniversary gift since then.  Two anniversaries past and he didn't even remember to tell her a happy anniversary.  Her falling tears and moaning got the pictures wet. She rebelled and marched to remind him this time; she needed to feel his love tonight. She could not bear another disappointment. Not today, not on their anniversary.  She would tell him about her feelings of all those past years. To remind him of how much she supported him, dreaming of his love in return.  She would insist tonight the love she waited so long to feel and missed.

 

She went to his office and knocked the door, but no answer came out.

 

“James, are you in. I want to talk to you” she desperately said. But, no answer came out.

 

She opened the door and found him leaning his head on the desk.

 

“Are you asleep, James? Come on wake up. Now who has gone old now? Sleeping at 11 am? Come on James, wake up” .  But, he did not.

 

She pushed his head back on the chair and heard his heart, a beat there was none. James was gone. She screamed for him, shook him tight.

 

“Oh James.  James…. Why, you left me all by myself? Oh, honey, it was our anniversary tonight. We were going to spend a wonderful night. We were going to dance and have candles. OOOH James”

 

She found a letter, she kissed him goodbye. She then went to call Maria to come quickly. She read the letter:

 

 

“Dina, I love you. I wish to buy you something for tonight, but I have no money. I lost it Dina. I lost it all. I had cancer for two years now and I was hoping to get better. But, I am not. The doctor told me yesterday that I have days to live. He said it will get worse, so I can’t let it have me Dina, I just can’t. I end it Dina before the pain haunts me. The house is the only thing I have left. I wrote my will and it is yours. I wish you a happy life. Forgive me.

Your baby

James.

                        

© 2015 sohadtolba


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My friend, you are one talented writer. I was completely immersed by the story, and my mind kept replaying "What's going to happen next?" You managed to combine a beautiful, yet saddening story together. I should have known this would end tragically; these love stories always do. But yes, I was very much taken aback by the ending. I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I did get a little teary-eyed reading this. Please do excuse my sensitivity.

Such a neat and organized story. Excellent job on the grammar and punctuation as well. All this made me want to continue reading. I am glad I read this.

Thank you for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sohadtolba

9 Years Ago

Oh I am so glad you have liked it :D.... I am touched you teared :(... I really thank you so much fo.. read more



Reviews

Wow. This story really touched my heart. It was beautiful and sad at the same time. Good job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sohadtolba

9 Years Ago

thank you so much for your kind words... :D
A very good, but sad story about love and loss. I hope you will try and write a follow up story on how she will get along without him, and possibly find a new man to love.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sohadtolba

9 Years Ago

hmmmmmm.... thank you for the review... It could be a start for another novel, maybe further :) as i.. read more
Your story is touching and tragic.

NOTES:
There are some needed copy edits and tweaking of the language used. Some examples:
" She [hastened] back to her room"
"sofa swing [in] the backyard"
"gift from James [on] her 24th"

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

You go to your writing and then to the "Manage Writing" tab, then choose the archived work you wish .. read more
sohadtolba

9 Years Ago

thxxx ....
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

yw :)
My friend, you are one talented writer. I was completely immersed by the story, and my mind kept replaying "What's going to happen next?" You managed to combine a beautiful, yet saddening story together. I should have known this would end tragically; these love stories always do. But yes, I was very much taken aback by the ending. I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I did get a little teary-eyed reading this. Please do excuse my sensitivity.

Such a neat and organized story. Excellent job on the grammar and punctuation as well. All this made me want to continue reading. I am glad I read this.

Thank you for sharing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sohadtolba

9 Years Ago

Oh I am so glad you have liked it :D.... I am touched you teared :(... I really thank you so much fo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

409 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 10, 2015
Last Updated on February 11, 2015

Author

sohadtolba
sohadtolba

Egypt



About
I am feminist and a social/ political writer. I also love writing children stories that gives encouragement and teaches good morals. I love reading, walking, talking :) and open to all sort of .. more..

Writing
Your dream Your dream

A Story by sohadtolba