His Evening

His Evening

A Story by Abigail T
"

The type of evening he is used to having.

"

He’s humming to himself, that silly boy. Finally, a day went his way. He’s being as ridiculous as he can be, because he knows it makes me laugh.  Dancing and swaying and jumping and bopping along to a beat I don’t hear, he tells me about work, meetings, classes.  I can barely concentrate, I’m laughing so hard.  But it is time for him to work again, and he ends his dance with a bow and a kiss on my forehead. 


He’s in his room again, away from my concerned and prying eyes. The smile he donned just a few moments ago disappears from his deceitful lips.  The piano, as always, is calling his name, and he needs it.  He needs it to comfort him, to tell him that everyone lies and everyone gets scared.  The piano sweetly reminds the poor boy that he could never fail when he plays.  And so he does, his nimble fingers flying across the keys in a fluid, jazzy, bluesy melody.  The open bottle of red wine next to his stool seduces him to take a drink. And then another and another. Soon, sips become swigs, and swigs become gulps.  The pounding on the piano gets louder and more desperate until finally, he feels safe and calm, and somewhat warm.


This is when the keys start to blur together, and it’s now either time to lie down or time to make movies.  In just a few moments, he is out in the chilly night filming a story he understands, but knows no one else will.  He waltzes with his precious camera from spot to spot, entertaining himself in his drunken determination.  Each shot is perfect, not a single second of film wasted. Hours pass, and he doesn’t mind or notice.  But by the end of the night, he has the makings of a film, one he’s proud of.

© 2010 Abigail T


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is amazing! I love the fluid motion of this. I can just imagine the music this man is making and the images his camera captures. We as authors, writers, poets, what have you are often like this man when we write. Uninhibited, comforted in the story that we are so artfully making. Involved solely in the picture we are painting upon the blank canvas and the melody we are making. Wonderful piece. :).

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The second issue of Golden Apple has started accepting Submissions. It will be based solely on Christmas and definitely sounds very exciting! Our editors have already set themselves to work with the Submissions obtained.

We all aim at making this ezine a really nice and positive one!

Submissions (poems, short stories, sketches, song lyrics and any other) are most welcome. Read our GUIDELINES at

http://goldenappleezine.blogspot.com/2010/10/submissions.html


Have a look at Issue 1: http://goldenappleezine.blogspot.com/2010/10/golden-apple-issue-1-october-2010.html


Posted 13 Years Ago


Well written.....you are a good insightful writer!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the piano incorporation in this story. The piano is such a tender instrument that fulfills every tone of any other instrument. Very brilliant choice. I am excited!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I too am a patient of the piano therapist. Not the drunken part.. but the part about feeling calm and safe in the music flowing from my own fingers. This is a beautiful observation and write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello Abigail. I really enjoyed your story. It's well written, interesting and fun with a great story line. congrats on choice of career, (I read your bio) and keep up the great work. I suspect you'll go far. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this story of a personal creative process. The intimate nature of the piece could have progressed with more continuity as a narration with fewer "he" and "his" words or if the tale were told in the first person. Just my impression.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this a lot. Very original observational style. Our insane routines, vices, and the art we produce.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh. My. Gosh. This was an amazing write! I loved the fact that the true intention of the character was never clear, which, in a way, reflects who we all are as human beings. It was almost as if you never quite knew who the character exactly was, yet you were able to get small glimpses of him as the story progressed. I thought it was amazing how insightful and perceptive you were, which made this a really genuine and likeable write. Funnily enough, in reading this story, I felt like I was looking right into my own reflection. :P
~PaperHearts

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is a guy after my own heart for sure, i.. really.. like this. i understand the lack of frustration he has in no one understanding his interpretation of his art form/forms, as long as he is happy in what he's created he's content. i also like the alcohol being shown as less of a tool to escape, but as a tool to release, not getting away from everything but getting everything off of him :).. i liked this story a lot

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is amazing! I love the fluid motion of this. I can just imagine the music this man is making and the images his camera captures. We as authors, writers, poets, what have you are often like this man when we write. Uninhibited, comforted in the story that we are so artfully making. Involved solely in the picture we are painting upon the blank canvas and the melody we are making. Wonderful piece. :).

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

957 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2010
Last Updated on September 11, 2010
Tags: boy, wine, piano, stress, movie-making, girlfriend, drunk

Author

Abigail T
Abigail T

Amherst, MA



About
My name is Abigail, and I'm a recent college graduate now in the world to write fiction for young adults. I'm using this site to archive my work. more..

Writing
January - Jace January - Jace

A Chapter by Abigail T


March - Greg March - Greg

A Chapter by Abigail T


May - Heather May - Heather

A Chapter by Abigail T



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..