Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Cali

       There is only one word that can describe my trip to the park: agonizing. The small children's shrieks of joy and merry, screaming thoughts were mainly revolved around 3 things:

1.) The fact that Jimmy ate dirt.

2.) How much fun slides are.

3.) The creepy dark girl sitting on the swing with her iPod.

               Of course, the last one was about me. The weirdo that barged in on their fun silently, stealing one of their swings for her own personal seat. I wasn't even swinging; just sitting there with my iPod at full volume, trying to drown out the thoughts of the kids.

               I wonder what's wrong with that girl, a worried mother wondered mentally. Maybe she just got dumped by her boyfriend or something...or maybe she's just depressed...or maybe, just maybe, she's dangerous. I highly doubt that, though, considering the fact that she's actually at a park. Normally dangerous people don't hang out around parks. I should see what's wrong with her, just in case.

               I looked up slightly as the woman approached me slowly. She looked--and thought--like an original soccer mom: blue t-shirt, light Capri's, Sketcher's Shape-Ups, and a little silver chain hanging around her neck. It shimmered in the sunlight, the small heart-shaped charm catching the rays and glimmering brightly. Her thoughts mainly revolved around her kids, too...except for right now; right now she was thinking about someone around her kids.

               Heads were turned as the woman progressed towards me. Thoughts of the others swarmed through my head, all revolving around her. What is Amy doing? and, Why is she going to talk to that weird kid? and--this one only floated in two of the many other minds, Why is Mommy goin' to talk to the stranger?

               Although my music was blaring (Smoke Two Joints had jumped to Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva) I could see the woman...or Amy...clear her throat. I thought it would be polite to take out an ear bud, so I did. It hung loosely down by my side as I smiled up at the lady. "Hi," I said happily, "What's up?"

               "U-um...I was just wondering if you were okay," Amy managed. This kid doesn't look dangerous at all, she thought in relief.

               I smiled warmly. "Oh, I'm fine; thanks for asking, though. I never really knew anyone ever paid any attention to me."

               Amy chuckled softly. "Well, you're quite the buzz around here. Have you noticed the kids looking at you?"

               No, I thought grimly, but I heard them thinking about me. I shook my head. "No, I didn't. They've been looking at me?" I looked at a small kid who was staring right at me. She looked about 6. I smiled, and her buzzing thoughts went into a panic. She quickly turned her head away, concentrating on something else set in the distance.

               Amy chuckled. "Yeah, all of the little ones have been staring at you ever since you got here. I guess you must have scared them a little."

               "Oh." I frowned. "I can leave if it makes anything better."

               The woman quickly shook her head. "No, no, that's really not necessary. I just came over to see if you were alright."

               "Yeah; yeah, I'm good. Thanks," I replied. I smiled warmly at Amy before she walked away swiftly, leaving me back to my swing.

               I pulled my backpack onto my lap and pulled out my phone. A bright red light flashed periodically, signifying that I had a text message. It was from Ryan, a good friend of mine since kindergarten. It read:
               Hey. Wat up?

            I smirked and hit the button that started a new message. I quickly typed in my response.

               Nm. Goin insane because of these little freakin kids. U?

            I hit "send" and watched the little envelope get thrown into a digital mailbox. A little check mark popped up, telling me that my message was successfully sent.

               Ryan was one of my best guy-friends, and my other girlfriends always made fun of us by saying we would look cute together and we should date and that kind of stuff. It always annoyed the crap out of us, but we usually just brushed it off and ignored it.

               My phone vibrated violently. I looked at the screen, opening my new unread message.

               Lol. Absolutely nothing. It sucks. No good games on xbox, moms watching tv, the dogs r at the vet with dad and nick...bored outta my mind, you have no goddamn clue.

            I frowned. I didn't like when my friends were bored. I jumped off my swing reluctantly, walking away from the torture chamber called a park. I replied with:

               :( Srry, dude. Wanna go on a bike ride w me and friends? Maybe ease ur boredom?

            The message sent, and I popped in my other ear bud while I waited for a reply. I quickened my pace to get away from the happier thoughts of the kids and moms. Finally, that girl left, Yay! We got our swing back!, etc. etc. My phone buzzed again.

               Sure. Why not. Where to?

            My reply:

               Idc, dude. Wherever everyone else wants to go. Any requests?

            Message sent, my phone told me in bold font. Thank you, phone, I thought playfully. I dialed Paege's number and pressed "call," pulling out one of my ear buds once again. I put the phone to my ear to hear the dreaded dial tone I heard way too much. Finally, Paege picked up the phone.

               "Hello?" a quiet voice responded on the other end of the phone.

               "Hey, Paege. Wanna go on a bike ride?" I asked cheerfully.

               "Uhm...yeah, sure. Who else is going?"

               I hesitated before answering. "Just me...and, uh...Ryan."

               I swear, I knew she was smiling on the other end of the line. "Sure. I'll be there. Where to meet?"

               "We'll pick you up, mm'kay?"

               "Mm'kay." She chuckled softly. "See you then."

               I hung up my line before dialing Rae's number. Thankfully, she picked up the phone right away.

               "Yellow?" her voice chimed.

               "Rae! Up for a little ride?" I questioned.

               "Who else be goin'?"

               "Me, Ryan, and Paege. Hopefully you...?" I trailed off.

               "Hmm...okay! Where to?" she squeaked.

               "Meet at Paege's place."

               "You got it! Later," she shouted. After that, she hung up.

               I smirked before checking the message that I must have gotten during my conversations.

               No requests, the message read. Idc.

            Alrighty then. C ya in a few, I responded.

               Now, I had to call Persephone...

               Oh. Wait. Seph was sick. Gotta scratch her off the list, I thought grimly. But, hey, I had a pretty good group. And their thoughts weren't that bad to listen to, either.

               I ran to my house, grabbing my bike from the garage and speeding over to Paege's house.

               Today was going to be a good day after all. 



© 2010 Cali


Author's Note

Cali
Enjoy. ^^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well done. although I must say, as parent, and fellow parkour enthusiast, that yes parents get weird, but kids couldn't care less if you're on their playground.... even if it involves makin up a cool run on it lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


Whoop. Nice. I like the discription about the little kids thoughts. ^^

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 7, 2010
Last Updated on May 7, 2010


Author

Cali
Cali

About
You know what, I'll just make this nice and short for you: Favorite Colors: Red and black Favorite Animal: The fainting goat Favorite video game: Can't narrow it down; it goes around Left 4 Dead 2 .. more..

Writing
I am I am

A Poem by Cali


Daddy's Girl Daddy's Girl

A Story by Cali


I'm Sorry I'm Sorry

A Story by Cali