Common App Essay-the open minded

Common App Essay-the open minded

A Story by Nicole
"

Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.

"


My hands were beyond numb, they started to burn once I entered the warm house, slamming the door behind me as I hung up Bear’s lead. I glanced at the clock. 11:11, and I still have to study for Chemistry. Great. I reluctantly ask if Rhea needs me to do anything else before I go, and next thing I know I’m opening the packages piled by her lazy boy, letting her feel each item so she can remember what she bought and tell me where to put it. Next, I’m trudging back into the bitter winter night towards the dumpsters inconveniently located clear on the other side of the apartment complex, with garbage bags bigger than me frozen between my fingers. Not every night seemed this dreadful. I loved helping a friend in need. But on nights that left me wanting to explode, I found good reasons to carry on calmly.
Rhea was born blind. While she cannot see, she is eager to imagine how you and I see the word. Although most tasks take longer than average and require the aid of her seeing eye dog or a friend, she adores independence more than anyone I know. Her simple craving for human interaction is something to sympathize with, her strength something to be admired. What have I really got to complain about?
On the good days, I’m still learning from her.
I’ve always had a passion for photography and its means of expressing myself in a way which I am unable to do with words. After meeting Rhea, life seen through my camera’s lens has come to mean even more to me.
I used to view beauty as something you can see. I remember capturing Bear rolling in piles of leaves, the entire scene a montage of brilliant golds, from his coat to the sun’s dappled light to the ash and sweetgum hues. I began exulting in how amazing the picture was, when I caught myself. I felt ashamed at first. But I could hear Rhea telling Bear how funny he was between her laughter. A gust of wind sent a cluster of leaves sailing up her legs and brushing her hands. She smiled at this, and at some autumn scent that came along with it. She found this moment just as beautiful as I did, in a completely different way. Through this experience, I recognized that I shouldn’t suppress my passions to blend in with crowd. But I realized there is value in each person’s point of view, and I couldn’t limit myself.
Now, when I look at a photograph, I recognize more than the perfect lighting or genius placement of the subject matter; I close my eyes and imagine the artistry of my other senses, like Rhea does. In fact, every day I am taking a step back from some situation and soaking in the stories from both sides, enjoying the view from multiple angles. I’m challenged daily- on the track, around the discussion circle in English class, amidst the gossip that is a part of every weekend- to balance being open-minded with embracing my individuality. As a result, I’m constantly exploiting my imagination to craft new views of my own. My open-mindedness, combined with my thirst for creativity and ingenuity____________________________


word count: 545+

© 2014 Nicole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thoughts/criticism please!! The end is not finished, so suggestions welcome too :)

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
1 Review
Added on October 2, 2014
Last Updated on October 2, 2014
Tags: Common app, college, individuality, open minded, creative, personal, essay

Author

Nicole
Nicole

Writing
[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by Nicole