The Echo Effect

The Echo Effect

A Story by speckledbyrd

I looked down at the crystalline lake at my feet, reflecting my face back.  Ignoring it, I stepped out onto the surface of the lake, making small ripples where I placed my feet.  There was no sound here, I refused to create it. The music was in my head, one exquisite note echoing out after another. I moved slowly so I could watch the waves I made as I walked out to the center of the lake, still soundless. It had started to snow gently, but it didn’t matter because I couldn’t feel the cold.  There was no wind either, no sun and only the cold, blue mountains that surrounded the lake. Everything was pristine, and the silence so profound I could almost believe I was dead. But, no, the music was still playing in my head.  The beautiful, chaotic echo.  I decided to let it out this time. I closed my eyes and exhaled, letting the weight of the silence plummet. I felt something fall against my cheek.  I opened my eyes and looked up into a sky of horror.  The snow had turned to blood, turning to ink in the lake. The music was loud now; they were screams of hopeless despair. I war raged on the lake as men and women turned and fought each other. The sun cracked and the sky turned black. I stood there taking it all in, and after that first heartbeat since I had opened my eyes, the water gave way and plunged me into the lake. Thank god there was no sound below.

© 2016 speckledbyrd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on October 26, 2016
Last Updated on October 28, 2016