Acceptance (flash fiction)

Acceptance (flash fiction)

A Story by speckledbyrd
"

I've decided that the majority of what I write is flash fiction and this is no exception. At some point all of these will come together

"

How have I been so blind? Of course, this was always how it had to end.  It was set from the start, long before I had taken my first breath.  My throat ached and closed as tears welled in my eyes. I have never denied acceptance of my own grief and pain, and now wouldn’t be any different.  Resolute in my decision, I opened my eyes and took in the sight of my home I had made with these people, the yellow grass, and the setting sun. They would never know why.   The thought almost made me stagger. They would think I had abandoned them for the final time.  That I thought them for dead.  But, they would accept it in time with the bitter resilience that even Nightmares couldn’t shake from them.  Locking my emotions away in that cold place again, I dropped my pack to the ground.  Closing my eyes, I thought of my sisters’ beautiful faces, and drifted away from my body. I rose, above the atmosphere, towards the first stars of the night until all I could hear was their laughter.  I slipped into the brightest star and settled down to sleep for a very long time.  

© 2016 speckledbyrd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on December 14, 2016
Last Updated on December 14, 2016