Cruel Vilification

Cruel Vilification

A Poem by SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
"

This acrostic poem delves into the quote "Cold-seeming people once cared too much" and addresses the agony behind the dispassionate exterior.

"

“Cold-seeming people once cared too much”

Reality to adages.

Under stone veiled dwells a dark past

Every cold heart hides torture and heartbreak

Love can be merciless.

 

Violent surge of memories, too far yet too near. History's cruelest repetition. 

It only took a few choice sentences. They didn’t have to be true.

Loss drowns her in a tidal wave. No rescue to be had. Heart breaks on the rocks below.

In reality, nobody’s there to listen, to care, to hug, to believe her.

Friends to judges, acquaintances to jurors, happy memories to executioners. Exoneration not to be had.

“It’s okay. She’s really had it coming. She deserves all she gets. She’s not a good person.”

Consequences. Manipulation. People judge only by the surface and she lost the game.

Abject humiliation’s the  name of the game. Undeserved yet deserved.

“Twice fooled, shame on me”

In time to become exactly what she’s been made

Once the fraying thread of faith gives way

Never again to hope. Never again to love. Never again to trust. Never again to care.

© 2013 SpeedyHobbit Armstrong


Author's Note

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
I extremely rarely write poetry and am hardly talented at it- prose is much more my forte, but my muse called this necessary and impulse said take a risk and do something different. Also, I acknowledge that the variants of the quote in line one are "Heartless people once cared too much" and "Cold-hearted people once cared too much."

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like this, really spoke to me, a denouncement the judgemental mentality that pervades people and society so much these days.

"Friends to judges, acquaintances to jurors, happy memories to executioners" - wow.. Words can't describe how awesome that line is

"I extremely rarely write poetry and am hardly talented at it" - also wow :-)

Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Yes, people do get extremely judgmental in this day and age- and many judgments passed de.. read more



Reviews

I think this is one that will hold true and strong for eternity, unfortunately. we are a judgmental society. I think it makes them feel better about themselves and that is shameful. very well done for one who says he doesn't write poetry, you do, and quite well.

Posted 2 Years Ago


I'm noticing a great (and lovely) use of personification in this writing. I especially like, "Love can be merciless."

It does seem that way sometimes doesn't it if you are in a codependent relationship. :)

Here's hoping you see the brighter side of clouds and the clearer side of the mirror. We are often our own worst enemy. Best to kiss and make up. :)


Posted 6 Years Ago


This is so true. It is very hard to become hard after being beaten down. We think they are cold, but maybe they have just been burned.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I know you seldom write poems, and rarely review them (except for a select few ; ) ) but so far I have been impressed with your work when you do try. This is another one of those, well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I have
Only
One word.
Heartbreaking.

Posted 10 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Yeah, was definitely in a dark place when I wrote this! Thanks for stopping by!
This is a work that brings light to a subject that is employed by everyone, yet no one would readily admit to being: being judgmental. This speaks to me so poignantly because I know folks in my life right now that are suffering from osticization (if that's a word) on top of everything else they may be going through. If only I can "...take the beam out of my own eye before I attempt to take the speck out of my brother's..."--Jesus (paraphrased of course). Thank you for this submission, and you're an excellent writer all the way around. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for dropping by and reviewing! I think you're thinking of "ostracization" (gah, comes.. read more
A lot of heavy feelings in this poem and great lines, but a really good poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind review! I was indeed overwhelmed by emotion at time I wrote this
This is interesting. Your concept of flow is very good and your description is excellent.

Also you did a very good job how you explained things.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the review! [=
SquinklaPsyOps

10 Years Ago

Use the positive waves to travel
I like this, really spoke to me, a denouncement the judgemental mentality that pervades people and society so much these days.

"Friends to judges, acquaintances to jurors, happy memories to executioners" - wow.. Words can't describe how awesome that line is

"I extremely rarely write poetry and am hardly talented at it" - also wow :-)

Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Yes, people do get extremely judgmental in this day and age- and many judgments passed de.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1225 Views
19 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 27, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013
Tags: vilification, slander, false accusations

Author

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

Long Island, NY



About
My name is Cher Armstrong, also known as Speedy Hobbit. I'm a USATF athlete in racewalking for the Raleigh Walkers club team. I just graduated from Queens College in Queens borough in New York Ci.. more..

Writing