No Use Dead (FF #4)

No Use Dead (FF #4)

A Story by SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
"

This was written for the group Friday Fictioneers. This is a scene about my character Folco that did not make it into "Fallen Ones" (a bit dark)

"

                Folco seized his deadened leg, curling up. It’d warm him. Maybe.


                The door opened. He stared into several guards’ pitiless eyes, insides freezing.


                “Look, he didn’t eat lunch,” one commented, indicating potato peels and murky “water.”


                “Guess he won’t need supper after the conversation. Leftovers to eat.”


                “Bet he reckons we poisoned it!” another chortled.


“Why would we? We need him to talk. No use dead.”


                An orc seized his good leg, dragging him along the floor. Stone grated his back. “Come, Your Highness, we’ve just got a few questions for you. Cooperate, it ends fast. If not… more fun.”

© 2014 SpeedyHobbit Armstrong


Author's Note

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
Had this scene been written into my book "Fallen Ones", it would have taken place after the chapter called "The Tyrant and the Traitor" and before the events of "Slip of the Tongue."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice FF with this one. I love how you can use so few words to write a riveting tale.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I agree with Jim, this may be a good end to the relevant chapter.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Woooh! Creepy! Gave me the chill bumps a little hehe. I love the way you write, it's very unique!

Posted 9 Years Ago


SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much! Yeah, the character (Folco Foxtrot) is in a horrific situation indeed!
Just a little snippet, so it is hard to really judge the content, but the descriptions seem to be solid. My main recommendation is to make the sentences flow and skip better, and with more purpose. This feels a bit disjointed. Try incorporating semi-colons to bridge independent clauses that have a lot in common, so that the sentences flow better. And then use hyphens to connect the shorter bits such as 'maybe'. Learn how different punctuations 'feel' when read aloud; and then practice reading your work aloud using this. It is amazing how much sentence structure and punctuation choice can contribute to flow in a story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


this is short. I think it would be cool as a line break at the end of a chapter. add some suspense.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the idea! Yah, I'm right at the Friday Fictioneers maximum of 100 words (not sure if you'.. read more
well this definitely sent chills through me and I had a connection to the character even without context! Thank you very much and just know that you're in the running for the contest

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

9 Years Ago

Awww, thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

439 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2014
Last Updated on May 31, 2014
Tags: Folco, fantasy, short story, fiction, dark, prison, sad, scared, Fallen Ones, Dremeadow, danger

Author

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

Long Island, NY



About
My name is Cher Armstrong, also known as Speedy Hobbit. I'm a USATF athlete in racewalking for the Raleigh Walkers club team. I just graduated from Queens College in Queens borough in New York Ci.. more..

Writing