Chapters 1-3

Chapters 1-3

A Chapter by Matt Copeland
"

This is the first three chapters.

"

 

Note: The contents of this book are purely fictional and do not refer to any actual person or event. Any reference to a person or event is completely incidental.
1.
Monday January 5, 2009
7:00 a.m.
            Beep! Beep! Beep!
Twenty-year-old Candace Hernandez woke with a start and sleepily and gazed around her. Slowly she turned off the alarm clock that had suddenly woken her. Yawning she rose from the warmth of her bed, feeling the coldness of the floor beneath her feet. Shivering, she walked to the bathroom. She stood before the mirror fingering the long jagged scar above her throat and scowling. Then she slipped off her nightgown and stepped into the shower. Turning on the hot water she sighed and shook her head. After her shower she toweled off then put on the black polo shirt and khaki colored pants that was the uniform for the fast food restaurant that she worked at.
            Candace then put on a hairnet over her long curly hair and searched for her purse and car keys. She soon discovered them on top of the fridge. Wondering why they were there Candace snatched them up and sprinted out the front door of the duplex and then towards her Ford Taurus. Yanking open the driver’s side door she drove to the restaurant, barely obeying the speed limit. Candace arrived at the restaurant thirty minutes later. She dashed to the door and was met by the angry manager.
“You’re fifteen minutes late,” said the manager, Mr. McDonald in an accusatory tone.
“Stuff happens,” muttered Candace.
What?
“Nothing,” replied Candace. She walked past Mr. McDonald and into the restaurant. She plopped her purse on the shelf used for the employees’ belongings and then walked swiftly behind the service counter. Sighing, Candace turned on the microphone that she used to relay the orders to the cooks in the kitchen that reeked of onions and grease.
            Eight hours later a tired Candace snatched her purse and yanked open the door. She drove home with the anticipation of getting some sleep. Soon she drove into the small drive and gazed around her. She spotted the front door of her house and raised her eyebrows in surprise for the door was open despite the fact Candace had locked it that morning. She got out of the car, closing the door softly. She approached the house cautiously and then walked through the door with fists raised as if preparing for a fight. Finding no one apparently present, she relaxed thinking she was alone, and walked tiredly to the bedroom. She stopped in front of the bedroom threshold with a sharp intake of breath. Sitting on the bed were two men with glocks. She whirled around and ran away. The men sprang after her. Steps from the still open front door the taller of the intruders grabbed Candace around the waist and tackled her. Candace clawed at her assailant to no avail. The man stood up with Candace still in his grasp and accompanied his companion to a Chevrolet Corvette half a block away. When they arrived at the car the man holding Candace put Candace in a headlock as his companion opened backseat left door. As the door opened Candace tried to stomp on her captor’s feet. The man roughly shoved Candace into the car and slammed the door.
 
2.
Tuesday January 6, 2009
8:10 a.m.
            Theresa Hernandez, Candace’s mother, stepped out of the Cadillac Escalade driven by her chauffer. Ms. Hernandez smoothed the mink coat she wore before proceeding into her daughter’s house. Once inside she glanced around her with a look of worry on her face. After calling for Candace several times with no response, Ms. Hernandez motioned for the chauffer who quickly trotted to his employer’s side.
“Drive me to the police station, Wilson,” commanded Ms. Hernandez.
“Yes, Ma’am,” responded Wilson.
            Twenty minutes later the Escalade rolled into the nearly full parking lot of the police station. After entering the police station Ms. Hernandez rang a bell on the receptionist’s desk. The receptionist appeared seconds after being summoned. Ms. Hernandez told the receptionist the problem with unfavorable results.
“You have to wait forty-eight hours to file a missing persons report, Ma’am,” said the receptionist sleepily.
“I’m telling you she is missing,” said Ms. Hernandez.
“And I am telling you we can’t do anything for forty-eight hours,” responded the receptionist irritably.
“Fine!” exclaimed Ms. Hernandez.
Ms. Hernandez stalked out of the station followed by Wilson. Once they arrived at the Escalade they encountered a two man, one dressed in a black T-shirt and blue jeans and the other dressed similarly except in a blue polo shirt instead of a black T-shirt. The man in the blue shirt, named Chris Johnson, nodded at the unhappy Ms. Hernandez who curtly nodded in response. The black shirted man, Jay Baker stepped forward.
“What’s wrong?” inquired Baker. Having quickly developed a distrust of the police Ms. Hernandez was initially unwilling to tell Baker anything, but upon Baker’s insistence she relented.
The a**hole of a receptionist you have said I have to wait to file a missing persons report.”
“Yeah that’s the rule,” commented Johnson.
“Not that we like it,” added Baker.
“What’s the case about?” asked Johnson. After repeating the details Ms. Hernandez then said “I think Miguel Santos had her kidnapped.” When Baker heard this he frowned but neither Johnson nor Ms. Hernandez asked for the reason.
“Put me on the case,” said Baker solemnly.
“You’ll get fired,” Johnson reminded Baker.
“This is important,” said Baker stubbornly.
“I will if you insist,” said Ms. Hernandez.
“I insist,” responded Baker. After telling Ms. Hernandez his cell phone number Baker departed for the interior of the police station. Ms. Hernandez looked at Johnson and raised an eyebrow.
“Why does he want the case so much?” she asked.
“The son of a b**** called Miguel Santos had Jay’s brother killed three years ago. Jay probably wants to make sure he doesn’t get away with this crime too,” answered Johnson. With that Ms. Hernandez got in the Escalade and Wilson drove off. Sighing, Johnson followed his friend inside the police station.
 
3.
Tuesday January 6, 2009
8:55 a.m.
            Inside the police station Baker walked to the captain’s office to ask for official permission to take the Hernandez case. Once he arrived at his destination Baker waited near the entrance of the office because Captain Walker was talking on the phone to someone who sounded important. When the conversation had concluded Captain Walker gestured toward a seat in front of his desk and Baker obeyed, sitting. Baker told Captain Walker about the case and that he would like to be assigned the case despite the fact he was not a detective. Aware of this fact Captain Walker denied Baker’s request. Baker protested and was repeatedly denied. Frustrated and somewhat angry, Baker had one more thing to say to Captain Walker.
“Every moment that passes without us doing something is a moment Santos could be hurting Candace Hernandez in some way,” said Baker firmly.
“Okay, Baker you have me convinced. Unfortunately not even I can’t bend the rules. Only the chief of police can do that and he is too busy to talk to you without an appointment and every moment is important. I can’t authorize a person who isn’t a detective to take a case that wasn’t officially reported because of the forty-eight hour rule. However, I can authorize you to go on a weeklong vacation. What you choose to do on your vacation is none of my business as long as your activities are not illegal. This endeavor is not illegal,” said Captain Walker. After wishing Captain Walker a good day Baker took his leave of Captain Walker’s office and the police station followed by Johnson.
            Emerging from the police station Baker and Johnson walked to Baker’s Lincoln Navigator, got into it, and drove to Johnson’s apartment. Once there they were met by Johnson’s girlfriend Alicia who looking at them with curiosity. She greeted them then asked why they were away from work so early. When she was given an answer she was far from happy.
“Why are you both going when my birthday is only a few days away?” demanded Alicia.
“We have to do this. We can’t ignore the case because your birthday is coming up,” responded Johnson.
“But I’m important! You’re supposed to put me first because I’m your girlfriend!” exclaimed Alicia.
“You are important but I can’t drop everything because you say so. I have responsibilities. You know that,” responded Johnson.
“If you go I will break up with you,” said Alicia.
“Then break up with me,” said Johnson.
“FINE!” shouted Alicia. She got into her Toyota Camry, slammed the door, and drove off. Johnson shrugged and went into his apartment followed by Baker. Shutting the door after himself Baker started discussing ways to rescue Candace and arrest Santos. They agreed they needed more information before they could look for Candace. Ms. Hernandez fortunately called Baker that night. Baker, still at Johnson’s apartment, answered the phone.
“Hello?” said Baker.
“What is your plan for getting my daughter back?” asked Ms. Hernandez.
“First we need more information about Santos, like where you think he might be,” responded Baker. Ms. Hernandez informed Baker that when Candace and Santos were dating they lived in Veracruz. Baker nodded when he heard this and thanked Ms. Hernandez. He turned off the phone and turned to Johnson.


© 2009 Matt Copeland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like the story...but I agree...you go a little too fast. Can't wait to read more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


So far so good. Keep at it. Waiting for more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really thought it was great but I agree with Shadow666. If you give it more detail it will better help your readers become drawn into the story. Otherwise I think it's great and I really hope you continue. I find this story very fascinating.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Interesting...but. You take your pace a little too fast. Slow down and write in some more detail. Portray your characters a bit, and lengthen the plot description so we get a better grasp of what is happening. Your grammar/spelling is excellent, as far as I can tell.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 29, 2009


Author

Matt Copeland
Matt Copeland

Huntsville, AL



Writing