To interim or not to interim

To interim or not to interim

A Story by Martin
"

This is an article that I've been working on for an Episcopal church newsletter. It deals with the process of finding a new rector for our local church.

"

To interim or not to interim





I am now going through my second go round with the “new” interim process in the last 6 years. At this point I find myself asking is this really what is best for the parish or is there more to it?


Why do we use the interim system? I realize, for one, that supply priests are not always that easy to come by. Also using an interim certainly helps the scheduling system.


Then there is the “after” process. Sometimes referred to as “grieving” wherein the congregation adjusts to not having their former priest while preparing to welcome a new one.


The interim keeps daily functions on track and helps point the way toward the search process. Having a go to person or day to day issues is necessary but since the Vestry usually hires a consultant to help with the search process the interim's role is very limited.


The pastoral search process itself takes a long time, up to two years, which can be very draining for a parish that has known the continuity of a long time priest. One of the less mentioned benefits of the interim process is that the interim is there to fill in the gaps, in a more intimate way, for special occasions such as weddings, baptisms and funerals.


Perhaps the diocese could provide “blueprints” for the Vestry to fill out, thereby shortening the work of the Vestry and the ad hoc committees, two of which are required, not to mention the required “cottage meetings.” Perhaps the diocese needs to revamp its process thereby decreasing the time it takes to generate things like lists of interims and the list of pastor candidates.


So can the interim process be improved? No doubt. Let's hope that as we move forward searching for a priest and a bishop that we will continue to better that selfsame process.

© 2012 Martin


Author's Note

Martin
I'm trying to find a way to break out my normal dry style. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on August 29, 2012
Last Updated on August 29, 2012
Tags: Episcopal, church, iterim

Author

Martin
Martin

NJ



About
Editor/Webmaster East Brunswick Special Ed PTA. Letter Carrier. Band parent. Teen wrangler. Avid gardener. more..

Writing
Volunteers Volunteers

A Story by Martin