Prologue: The Ninety-Ninth King

Prologue: The Ninety-Ninth King

A Chapter by Katie
"

A prologue to "Dynyd", outlining the theft of the egg.

"

“I don’t understand it!” bellowed the King, his voice shattering all the glass in the windowpanes for the third time that year. “How can somebody have broken in?”

The King’s Zookeeper, a short man with a large balding patch on his head and uninspired grey eyes, trembled before the King’s anger. “Your Highness, Your Majesty, Sire, they got in through the window. And then they walked along the corridor. And then I’m not quite sure what happened, Sire.”

“Did they steal anything?”

The Zookeeper trembled even more violently, his knees clicking as they knocked together, his teeth chattering wildly.

“Well, did they?”

The servant did not meet the King’s eyes as he replied. “Yes, sire. An egg.”

The King growled, and clenched his enormous fist. Flames burst up from the ground, consuming the man. His screams filled the air for several seconds, then stopped, and there was absolute silence, as the other servants, their eyes wide with fear, dared not even breathe, for fear of bringing the irate King’s attention on themselves.

“You!” demanded the King, pointing his finger at a young girl, barely fourteen years of age. She hurried to kneel before him. “Go and tell the Head Guardsman that I want fifty extra men patrolling the Menagerie, starting now! And not just tonight – every night until the end of the Rule of Man, do you understand that?” The girl nodded, and ran off.

“You!” Another servant ran forward. “Run after her, and tell the Head Guardsman that I want thirty men searching the grounds immediately. And they had better find the thief.” The man ran off after the girl.

“You!” Yet another servant ran forward and knelt. “You’re promoted to Zookeeper. Go to the Menagerie now and feed the animals. Do not enter the private enclosure. Do not even think of looking in it until I have given you permission! Go, now!”

“You!” Another servant knelt. “Find someone to repair the windows. I want new glass in there tomorrow, or heads will roll!”

“And you!” the last servant knelt, trembling. “Clear that mess up!”

The servant sighed with relief, and hurried over to the pile of ashes, all that remained of the old zookeeper.

The King stormed off to his private rooms, fuming. How could somebody have broken into the Menagerie? Only his personal servants knew that it even existed. And given the enclosure the thief had been interested in, it was even more ludicrous! That enclosure was protected by magic, strong magic, royal magic. It was the King’s own spells that protected the enclosure, centuries worth of them. Only the King and his Zookeeper could go in or out of the enclosure, without triggering a series of most horrible and gruesome curses and enchantments.

“I am the most powerful person in Ortera!” the King bellowed out of the window, startling a gardener who was shaping each of the bushes into a likeness of the King’s face. “Nobody steals from my Menagerie!”

The King was a large man, almost as broad as he was tall, which was quite a feat. The few grey hairs amongst the black on his head were coloured with spells. His eyes were a cold blue that matched his heart, and a heavy moustache and brows also hinted at a quick temper. The King’s robes were purple, belted around his ample waist by an ornate leather strap upon which hung an array of ceremonial swords and daggers, all designed to impress allies and scare enemies.

His newest personal attendant, who had taken up the post three days ago, after the last assistant allowed the bathwater to get cold, was waiting outside his rooms. “Sire, I heard about the break-in,” he began tentatively.

The King snarled. “So did I!”

“Well, sire, I thought you would appreciate some professionals to locate whatever treasure the thief may or may not have taken,” the assistant burbled. “I called your Private Guard.”

The King nodded, twirling his beard. “I like you, Tash, was it?”

“Tosh,” replied the assistant, bowing.

“Yes, Tash. I like you. If you carry on as you are, you might even last more than a week! Where is the Captain of the Guard?”

“Just inside, sire,” replied the assistant, ushering the King through magnificent oak doors into an enormous hall, in the middle of which hung a great chandelier, almost twelve feet across, made from pure gold and decorated with diamonds and pearls.”

The Captain of the Guard was the only remainder of the staff who remained from when the King had been crowned five years ago. He was the King’s closest friend and advisor, perhaps the only man in Prymn Palace who slept at night without worrying that he would be next to be killed in one of the King’s rages.

Danmor would be considered a large man in most places, but beside the King he looked small. He lacked only an inch or two in height, but his bulk was more muscle than fat, and his uniform looked distinctly less padded than the King’s robes. The Captain’s hair showed a sprinkling of grey, his face was clean-shaven and lightly scarred.

“Tash, leave us now,” ordered the King.

Tosh scuttled out of the room, closing the doors behind him.

“Is it true, Sire? They broke into the Menagerie?”

“It is indeed true, Danmor,” replied the King. “The thief somehow managed to learn of my Menagerie, penetrate the Palace, steal into the Menagerie, and into the private enclosure itself. He took an egg! I do not see how it is possible!”

“How long ago was this?”

“Less than an hour. Have twenty of your best men on his tail. I want him dead, and I want that egg back. I am the King! Nobody is supposed to thwart me!”

“I will find the men,” Captain Danmor assured his King.

“I am the most powerful man in all of Ortera!” the King bellowed again, causing several priceless objects to explode on the shelves.

The Captain hurried away, a horrible thought creeping into his head. He was glad the King could not hear his thoughts. You are the most powerful human in Ortera, but there are other manners of creature out there. Perhaps the elves seek to rule once more.



© 2009 Katie


Author's Note

Katie
This is not necessarily finished - I started the book without a Prologue, then decided that this would make things a bit clearer. It's a very different writing style to the rest of the book.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is extremely good. I liked how you made the king have a big head, lol. So stuck up and thinking that hes number one.. Hmm... Sounds like middle school, lol. I would love to read more, but I can't! It really sucks, lol >< But awesome begining. Cant wait to read more. Also... There's a few typos and I think only one misspell... I'm sure that if you read through it, you'll find it :) Otherwise, everythings perfect. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 6, 2009
Last Updated on September 6, 2009


Author

Katie
Katie

Cheltenham, England



About
I love writing (obviously) and reading. I also like music - not too keen on pop, but I like some rock, jazz and classical. I play clarinet, bass clarinet, flute and piccolo, and I sing in my school c.. more..

Writing
The eclipse The eclipse

A Poem by Katie


Life Goes On Life Goes On

A Poem by Katie