Chapter Eighteen- Coping and Adjustment

Chapter Eighteen- Coping and Adjustment

A Chapter by The Doctor

1 October 2010
I sit up and put on my jogging pants. Amber asleep next to me.
"Mistake last night was. A big one."
"Yes Edward I know very well. Trust me. Right now I just want my jog and music."
I finish getting dressed and exit my house in the autumn sun. Awaiting me is a Cadillac, red like the last one I dealt with. Seems I've upset them again.
I ignore them and go for my run, them following me all the way. When I reach my apartment, I turn around and look them dead in the eye, smile and drag my finger from ear to ear before heading inside. As I enter I find Amber at the table reading the morning paper with a cup of coffee. I grab a water bottle from the fridge and take the seat up across form her.
"Morning."
"Morning," she says quietly, not looking up from the paper.
"How are you?" I take a long sip from the bottle.
"Fine."
"Going to comment about last night?"
She stopped reading, put the paper down and sighed as she leaned back into the chair.
"What is there to say?"
"Well you tell me."
"Jack... I wasn't expecting... the passion you put into that... is.... scary... the whole time I watched I wondered how you lived with yourself... How you became such a...."
"Monster?" I finish sharply.
"No... I was going to say artist..."
I choke on my water and look at her with wide eyes, "Excuse me?"
"You put such... thought into your work... you truly want them to feel regret... it's your message- you're point in what you do and... well..." she rubs the mug for a moment. "I understand... and I support you in that."
This women is f*****g nuts. She is off her rocker, I mean artist!? Come on!
"Ummm...well not exactly the response I was looking for but uh... thanks... Sorry but I have to admit, I find you nuts. I would never have expected someone to ever tell me they support me. I mean there was shock all over your face last night, I figured I scared you."
"You did. A lot. It was a side I never seen of you or expected. And I learned that that life is private and you deserve to have your time and your moments. Something I will respect."
"Well thank you.... So what do we do from here? I mean... do we just move on like nothing happened?"
"No. We accept it and... work around it is all."
I smile.
"Well I would love that," I take a sip of water and smile at her.

I get up and pat her shoulder as walk to the bathroom for my shower. After I finish I decide not to go to work today. An idea pops into my head as I pull my red V-neck over my head. I run down with my black leather Samsonite, high top dress shoes and a pair of jeans over my arm. I go to the kitchen and sit across from her again.
"I have an idea. Why don't we go camping? I t would be a great escape and it would be peaceful retreat from this cluttered society. Get us away from the sin of man," I smile.
She gives me this look of debate, mouth dilates, and her emerald eyes become thoughtful.
"I don't see why not. Just have to call into work. When do you want to go?"
"Tonight."
"Jack, what are you doing?"
"Testing her."
She has this look I have trouble describing... it's like having a confused... human copy stare at you... so blank and empty, yet so thoughtful... it was actually kinda cute... it reminds me of a wax figurine, given that fake thoughtful look to impress the public.
"Well, as I said let me tell work and make sure someone can cover for me for the next few days."
"Sounds great!" I finish tying my right shoe before I get up to kiss her on my way to the fridge for the pen and magnetic pad.
I go over a food list with her; writing down things she wants and so on. As I write I can't help but smile to see how many things we eat in common; we try to stick as close to being a vegetarian, not eating so much meat but more greens and fruits than anything. The occasional tuna or ham sandwich but no big meat meals. It's nice to know you have something like that in common. Makes you feel good.
"What happened to you Jack? You're overly happy and quirky."
"I just had a women watch what I do behind closed doors and accept it like a painting from Vincent Van Gogh. I'm extremely happy."
This coping thing may work out.


© 2011 The Doctor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 10, 2011
Last Updated on June 15, 2011


Author

The Doctor
The Doctor

About
ask away and i'll tell. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by The Doctor