Chapter Nineteen- Resonating Problems

Chapter Nineteen- Resonating Problems

A Chapter by The Doctor

1 October 2010

I sit at the table with my coffee and toast as I read the paper. Amber is up stairs in the shower, wanting to wash up before we leave for the weekend. My cell phone vibrates on the table, pulling me from my reading of a women sending a pizza box to a pub. Keeping my eyes on the paper I pick up my phone and answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Jack, it's John."

"Hey. What can I do for ya?"

"Well I was wondering if you've been okay. Haven't heard from you in a while and I was getting nervous because of the return of the mob men."

Goddamn it.

"Yeah. Work has just been pretty busy. I haven't noticed anyone," I tell him as I get up and look out my window above the kitchen sink, eyes locking onto the Cadillac.

"Alright. Well tell me if anything comes up?"

"No problem. Say you have any big cases you're working on?"

"Not at the moment no."

"You want to go on a camping trip with Sally? I'm going with Amber."

"Amber? She's new," he chuckles.

"Yeah. Met not too long ago. But would you like to come? It would be a good escape for you and the wife."

"Yeah. Let me see if I can get the weekend off and I'll get back to you."

"Sound good. Talk to you soon."

"Bye."

I hang up and continue to look at the car. Irritation making my blood boil.

"Seems another message has to be sent," Edward says, standing next to me looking at the car.

"Yeah. I wanted to have an enjoyable weekend but it seems some just don't understand that. They think it's all about them."

"So do you when you think about your killing acts and drive to fit it in."

"You know what I mean."

Seems I'm going to have to make an extra stop when we head out.

I go up stairs and knock on the door to the bathroom.

"Yes?" She calls.

"I'm going to pick up our supplies. I shouldn't be too long. You need me you have my cell number."

"Okay."

I go back downstairs and grab my keys off the counter as I go out the door. As I get into the driver seat I realize I forgot my coffee and other piece of toast on the table.

"Oh f**k it."

I start the engine and return to the don's office, the Cadillac following the whole way.

"What if this goes bad? You could die today or even have a man hunt on your a*s."

"If so, so be it. They can start it not me."

I stop outside the building and put on my black windbreaker from the back seat. I go into the glove box and take out my Colt .45 and slide it into my inner coat pocket. Taking a deep breath I get out and go up to the don's office. People trying to stop me the whole way up. I push past them and enter the elevator. When I reach the top I pull the emergency button and sneak out before the door can fully close. Next I lock the door to the stairs.

I continue on to the office, outside at her desk the secretary meets me.

"Please sir, don't go in there. I'm begg-"

I push her aside and open the doors. I stop and look at the collection of people inside the room. Everyone from the mayor to the police chief, and other politicians sitting or standing facing the don behind his desk.

"Well would you look at this," I smile and close the door, locking it. "We have quit the collection here don't we? Th police chief and the mayor. Two big names everyone is familiar with. This is a good day for me."

I walk around the group like a wolf debating on it's point of attack.

"I just wanted to chat with the don here for a moment, but since you're all in on it, you mine as well stay."

The police chief rose but I pushed the lard back in his chair.

"No. This is my game run by my rules. So you sit the f**k down. At this current moment I'm the highest authority."

"You have no influence over us," the mayor snaps.

I pull my .45 out and point it at him.

"Yes I do. Now shut up." I turn to the don, keeping my gun trained on the mayor. "I have your goons following me again. Didn't you hear me last time? I told you I would kill you all one by one, leading right up to you. True?"

The fat b*****d nodded methodically.

"Okay. Now that is out of the way. You're goons down stairs are first. And I'm not going to bother with anything extravagant. I'm just going to simply kill you."

As I said this I had the urge to look back at the mayor. My eyes widen and i realize who I am looking at...I'm looking at Edward...I'm looking at the man who killed my parents...

I get a head rush, a sharp pain piercing my temples and ears. Blocking out all sound and blurring my vision by making the lights brighter.

"Jack, relax. Calm down," Edward echos faintly in my head.

The mayor stands up slowly, but I c**k the hammer, causing him to settle back into his chair.

"Why didn't you tell me!" I yell.

"To keep you safe."

"And allow something like this to happen! You f*****g call this safe?!"

I force myself through the pain and look down at the mayor.

"You caused all of this. You drove me to insanity!"

I pull him out of his chair and throw him to the floor, putting the barrel to his temple.

"You made me a f*****g killer! You f*****g turned me lonely! You fucked me up!"

The mayor just smiled.

"Yes. And what a weapon I created. You know, I didn't expect something like this. Someone filled with such compassionate emotions. Whether it is anger, revenge, happiness... I did a better job than I thought."

"You knew I was there."

"Yes I did. When I walked up stairs I knew you already hide in your parents closet, I heard them whisper it to you. But I left you there. I wanted to see if my legacy would live on and it has. The kill scene with the plastic and zip ties is me. When you had no one to copy you choose that as an alternative. Oh yes, I've been watching you're brother's work very closely. Been making sure he has his grants to keep his portion of the bureau going."

I stand up and stumble back. My mind reeling in pain and confusion. I have to leave. I must.

I shove my gun back into my pocket and stumble out. I unlock the door and fall down, tumbling down the first handful of steps. I force myself out of the building and to my car. When I get in I rest my head on the steering wheel. Memories of my service in the military coming back. All the men I killed I pictured as the mayor. Every single one of them all had his face. No matter who it was... I always seen him...

No body knows the trouble I've seen...No body knows my sorrow...





© 2011 The Doctor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a sharp twist in the story I wasn't expecting. I wonder if he will actually get around to killing the mayor, who created Jack and made him who he is now?

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow unexspected turn in the story. i like it


Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 15, 2011
Last Updated on June 15, 2011


Author

The Doctor
The Doctor

About
ask away and i'll tell. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by The Doctor