Robert Claude Rousso

Robert Claude Rousso

A Chapter by The Doctor

I stand outside the hospital, looking up at the third floor. Wondering deeply how this visit will go. Hoping that I am presentable enough for this old man. Dressing in a good, white suit, white shirt and... shoes... The one thing I hate to wear. But I am for him. I want him to be happy with what he has been expecting. It has taken him these three years to accept his death- a very difficult and uncommon thing to occur.
I look at the door, my caramel eyes looking back at the pale figure with black hair, reaching the six foot mark. Debating if I really want to go in there, knowing how many will know who I am being so close to the end. It's why hospitals make me uncomfortable; so many people know me and fear me. It is not what I want. I do not want to scare people, I want them to be welcomed into this new life. I want them to feel like a burden has be lifted, like retirement. It's not a bad thing, it's a time to reunite with friends and family, a time to enjoy the work you have done, accept forgiveness- at least for the ones who deserve it.
Taking a deep breath I pull my sleek, silver and black wings into my body and walk in; An instant cold engulfs my soul as eyes lay on me. Following me as I walk down the corridor to my patient. Hairs on my arms and neck stand on end as more eyes catch me in their sights. My mind reeling with all the gazes, wanting nothing but to get to the gentleman's room. Losing concentration as voices enter my mind, whispers from an increasing number of people.
       "It's him!"
       "Oh God, I don't want to go yet."
       "Please take me!"
       "It's Death... It must be over...."
I close my eyes and rest a hand to my head, falling into a wall as I stumble. A hand on my shoulder forces me to open my eyes and see an elderly man. My gentleman.
"Hello lad. I figured you were coming. I seen you stumble a little, voices over whelmed you a little didn't they?" The French man asks in his language.
Knowing who I am is one thing, but knowing about me is different. This old man is something a little new. Rare in my line of work, very rare.
"Yes Robert. Thank you for calming them," I reply back in French.
"It's what I do lad. I don't mind," he gives an ancient smile, filled with compassion and knowledge.
"You know why I am here. But I want to offer you one more night all t yourself. Of course I have to be with you, but how about an excellent dinner and a night on the beach like the old times, back when you were in Normandy. Those nights you and your wife walked hand in hand, looking at the stars and moon."
He smiles and pats my shoulder, turns and goes to his room. Coming out a few moments later in a gray suit, white shirt and no tie. All dried cleaned and looking new.
"I knew about the invitation and I was prepared. So yes, please get me out of this nasty hospital."
"Man after my own heart," I smile and have him walk next to me.
Together we walk out into the streets of France. Finding a nice restaurant over looking the ocean. We sit for a three course meal and a good bottle of wine.
"So tell me Robert, how do you have such an ability? When did you realize this?"
He takes a sip of the blood red wine and sets it down, "I'm not sure Death. I remember everyday of my life until I about four years of age. I can tell you the weather and what I was doing at the time, even who I was with or who was on the television. How I got this, I do not know. Sometimes it is a curse or a gift, sometimes both. But I am amazed on how much you admire it as much as us mortals."
"Not many people can calm angel down just by a touch Robert. You have a rare gift, a gift that may put you in the Sixth Heaven-"
"Zebul, I know. God told me when I had a heart attack. He said that when my time was to come, that I would be accompanied with Death who would escort me to Zebul.I am to study mankind... Something that puts a little fear in me."
An extraordinary gift indeed. Knowing his place in heaven and what he will be doing... A rare gift indeed, a rare moment for me. 
I sip my wine in thought.
"Why does it fear you? To study your own kind, should be easy."
"Death, you of all should know the horrors of man. The wars, all the young people losing their lives for the dreams and illusions of old men. Wanting to fix the world by only making it worst. You are plenty old enough to have seen man turn so dark, so morbid and self centered. I don't want to see it anymore Death... I experienced enough of that in the wars. I want nothing more to do with my fellow man other than my wife and family."
"Robert, see this as a chance to change that. See this as a moment to find all that is good in man. He hasn't given up yet so why should you?"
"I know the good that can come from man. I see it in the laugh of a child, the giggle of a newborn, a door being held opening or having someone help pick up fallen articles. Man will soon enough do himself in, I'm just sad that I will have to see it. Stand by with my wife and watch our future generations suffer beyond what we have."
A man who has so much wisdom, given an extraordinary gift.. I feel so much less compared to this man. I feel that I have done nothing even though we see and agree on all things. Everything he has said; sharing all the heart sores and irritations.
"But that is why you are soft and compassionate Death, you pity them and want the best. You feel great joy and great sadness when those who are good have to go. They no longer have to suffer but you hope that there will be others to give such a positive influence as they have," he sips his wine again, leaning back for the waiter to set Robert's plate down on the table.
Wow. I feel so... Happy that I have chosen to give this man one more night... A talk of ethics with a man who chooses both the good and the bad to advocate for. Not wanting to tear down his race while trying to give them all the credit in the world. He does not hate them nor love them. He sees them as they are.
We eat and talk more about man and their faults, the ways in which they recover their accidents. Laughing at some of the things that man as done and feeling sadness for when the failed. Experiencing a range of emotions and topics I do not find myself touching upon with any other angel. I'm not sure if ti is because I am scared to express my opinion, or we have never thought to question each other on our true purpose.
I have always felt my purpose was the greatest- giving man his earned retirement. Talking with Robert has showed me how... Right I was to think and conduct my manner in my job. Helping those who are lost and scared to punishing the sinners and demons. In his presence I feel that I have fulfilled my job... I feel content...
Once we are done I pay the bill and make my way with Robert to the beach. I remove my shoes with pleasure and roll up the bottom of my pants.
"I'm sorry this night has come to an end Death."
"Not nearly as much as I am Robert. This has been one of my best moments in my four centuries. A night I will never forget, I thank you."
"It is I who thanks you Death. You have shared so much with me and made me feel so... True as a human... I'm ready to see my wife now Death..." He turns and faces me and the ocean with a smile of acceptance. "I'm truly ready."
I feel my eyes water, knowing I have to take such a great man from this place... But I get to reunite him with his wife...
I let Robert sit down, my hand going on his head to take his soul with me, the tears falling as I do. The white cloud forms into Robert, glancing at his body with the same acceptance he approached me with.
"Come on Robert," I say through my tears, "Time to go."

     


© 2011 The Doctor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

truely emotional and heart-felt. im in tears

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
1 Review
Added on October 6, 2011
Last Updated on October 7, 2011


Author

The Doctor
The Doctor

About
ask away and i'll tell. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by The Doctor