Mind Meld

Mind Meld

A Chapter by The Doctor

24 October 2010        5:30 A.M.
The Cottage

     I open my eyes, turning my head to look out my window at the sky. Blackness still engulfed the world, giving the feeling of lateness and the need for sleep. Rolling on to my left side I set my feet on the floor and stretch, interlocking my hands and bringing them above my head, stretching my back as hard and far as I can. Smiling at the strain in my back and arms, my biceps and triceps aching. Releasing the tension I go down in a push up position, starting them as soon as my hands touch. I change to a one handed push up after many regular push ups. I change gears and start my crunches, spacing my feet just right and beginning with a specific number in mind. After I had enough, I went to the back door and changed for my morning run.
      It is peaceful to be out this early. The weather is comfortably cold, not many critters are moving yet. All the nocturnal animals are starting to end their nightly endeavors; finishing their meals or tucking in their young ones. The frost is set and light on the foliage and forest floor, feeling refreshing against my paws with every stride forward. The quietness is what I enjoy most. It is nice to be with my pack and friends, but the forest provides a moment to gather myself. Find central peace and balance. I was doing this even when I was human. Some oracle lycans have said it was destiny,  that my wolf spirit found me before I found it. I am not sure of the answer, just that I simply enjoy the nature provided for us.
        I slow to a jog as I come up to a stream, taking the opportunity to cool down and take in the crisp, cold fluid. Sending a cold shiver through my body that makes me twitch and shiver in pleasure.
        A snap of a twig snatches my attention, my eyes looking directly forward in the direction of the noise. I strain my ears to listen harder; I close my eyes and feel for the noise. My eyes snap open as I locate the being coming from my right. I turn in time to have a vampire lunge from behind a large, old oak tree. I reel back and change in time to embrace him, keeping my claws extended to puncture his thick, granite like skin. He lands on top of me with a yell as I force my fingers deeper along his spine. His head slams into mine, forcing my fingers to release his warm flesh. I bring my knee up into his crotch and drive a fist into his stomach with a thud. The vampire rolls over, arms wrapped around his stomach. Standing up I kick him under his jaw, hearing a low pop, indicating the dislocation of his jaw. I lean over and grab him by the throat, dragging him along the ground to the edge of a cliff. Making sure his head hits every obstacle along the way.
       At the edge of the tree line sits a very old aspen tree. Standing with an age of about two hundred years. A black mark in the form of a person residing on the front, facing the east. Dragging him to his feet I reach up and pull off three branches; pushing him against the tree and impaling his hands and chest with a branch. A muffled scream escapes from the pain of the branches and the contact of the wood against his skin.
       "You think a young blood like you stands a chance? I was caught off guard and yet you are still the one to end up beaten, bleeding, and set up for a painful death. And, from what your memory provides for me, you were simply asked to kill me. "Just kill Amergin. Nothing Fancy, nothing elaborate. Rip his throat out if you need to." Claire did make it that simple did she not?"
        He stayed silent except for the heavy breathing and groans from the pain.
        "It's amazing how she keeps sending you young bloods. She must think you are more powerful due to your unpredictable strength," I look at the buff, tough build of the thirty year old man. His blond hair showing signs of some gray. His face frozen with a five o'clock shadow, weather beaten skin, now stained with blood and hung low with the dislocated jaw. "The problem with that strength is that you are not able to control it because you are not trained to. Making you very weak, and easy opponents to a seven hundred and ninety year old man. But now I will keep you here till the sun rises, and I will let it burn you. I will make a decision whether or not to keep you alive for educational reasons," I smile and lean against a neighboring tree.
       Not too long after I finished the sky began to lighten with hues of blue that slowly changed to hues of red and orange fire. The light moved from the edge of the cliff, creeping with suspense toward the vampire. His face full of fear and tears, seeing now that my point is sinking in about my seriousness.
       "I hope this will prove to you that those stories are not as dramatized as you think," I say with an arrogant smile.
        The sun light reaches his feet, producing instant smoke as he began to burn. As the sun moved further up his body he began to yell more, now thrashing to release himself from the objects which held him to his fate. I walk over and stand in front of him, keeping a stern and unmoving face. I rip the branches out and toss him into the shadows by his throat, then I advance on him.
       "Tell Claire that I we will win, and that what has been done to you will be much worse come to her and the others. I am not holding back anymore, I will kill next time. Tell her that is a promise."
        Painfully he stands and runs limply into the woods, out of sight and away from the sun. I sigh and put my hands over my face, feeling the sun radiate its warmth into my back and legs. Dropping face first to the ground I change and run back to the cottage.

          †
Amergin left early this morning after what seemed like a work out sessions. After he left I still pretended to sleep, pretending to be like one of those mutts. The damn smell of them burns my nostrils. The smell lingered all damn night. Never letting up to let me breathe, it was like suffocation all over again. And it still hangs heavy in the air.
I look out the window and remember how lucky I am... I am part of a generation of vampires that have been granted the ability to walk in the light... It's one of the reasons Claire chose me to come and spy on them... I don't remember being ever more grateful in my life...
Amergin returns through the back door. Closing the door quietly behind him, moving upstairs to his room placed next to mine. He rustles a little, leaving after a few moments and entering the bathroom for a shower. After about ten minutes he leaves and goes back down stairs, putting on coffee and preparing some bacon and eggs. I decide to go down and do some more spying, putting my pants and shirt back on. I look in the mirror and rough my hair up a little, smudge my make-up around my eyes and scrunch my shirt here and there to make it look like I slept. Then I walk out and down the the kitchen, creating a sleepy expression, preparing my glamour for Amergin.
I find him at the small, kitchen table, sitting in a pair of khaki colored cargo pants and a black short sleeve shirt. Leg crossed to reveal his black and white, high top Converses. Today's paper was open over his leg, mug of tea in his right hand and his eyes scanning the page in front of him. I take the seat across from him, his eyes leaving the page, following me as I sit.
"Good morning, how are you?" he smiles.
"Fine. Still waking up," I say, manipulating my voice to sound like I just awoke.
"Want some breakfast?" 
"Sure."
He folds his paper on the crease and then sets it on the table. Getting up with his tea he goes to the stove and dishes me up a plate. Watching him prepare it made me sad; I wont be able to taste any of it. The only thing I ever taste now is blood, even when I'm not feeding. Eggs, burgers, fries, chips- everything is tasteless. I have no need to eat it, it does not provide me energy or substance. It's just something that I need to do to fit in or hide like I am doing now. 
He puts the plate in front of me, giving a quick smile as he returns to his seat and paper. The silence seemed awkward, it was like he was unsure to talk and interested in the paper at the same time. His mind let nothing out; his whole mentally encased in a layer of steel. Nothing gets in or out without his permission.
"It is not polite to search someone's head without saying anything. Even if you cannot get in," he speaks, not looking away from his paper.
I jump in my seat in confusion and turn to my plate, increasing the glamour application on him. It is a mental ability, working to cloud and disrupt the mind. Melding it to how the controller chooses. I keep my vampire life away and keep pumping the wolf life bull.
The more I do this with him the more I feel that I'm not going to get anywhere. 


© 2012 The Doctor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on November 2, 2011
Last Updated on August 29, 2012


Author

The Doctor
The Doctor

About
ask away and i'll tell. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by The Doctor