Now

Now

A Chapter by Shoshana

  This morning was going to be difficult. Mother left for work earlier around 4 am and my brothers, Evan and Alec, already took off for the day 10 minutes ago to God only knows where. Allison and Lilly said they could take me to school but it would have to be earlier than 6:45 because they have a class that starts at 6. I'd be crazy if I took the option of going to school even earlier than usual. 
  So, now I'm calling my best friend, Simon, to see if he could give me a ride. He usually does but he hasn't been lately- which makes me sad. 
"Hi," Simon says on the other end of the line. He sounded tired like he had just woken up. Maybe his alarm didn't go off. 
"Hi Simon," I greeted, trying to picture him on his bed in the blue pajamas that he loves so much, messy dark hair falling in his eyes, his black-rimmed glasses crooked on his face, "are you picking me up today or are you going to make me walk?" I hear a quiet sigh- and then a groan- and shuffling noises- then his voice, "yep, I'll be there in 10." Then he hung up... without saying goodbye. Goodbye Max, see you soon. Pfft... I guess not saying goodbye is the trend now. 
   On-time, Simon pulled up in a red Volvo that belonged to his sister, Rebecca. It was a 10-minute drive from my home to school. We got there in seven. 
   School breakfasts' are absolutely terrifying. I hate them so much. It's like food poisoning or something. They give you a choice of French Toast, Soggy and wet Oatmeal, or Cinnamon rolls that are way too sweet for seven in the morning and completely drenched in a thick syrupy concoction supposedly called 'icing.'  
   Kaleb, my other best friend, was sitting down on the cold white bench at one of the tables in the school cafeteria. He was munching on cereal; Lucky Charmes to be specific. His hair was messier than usual and he had dark circles under his eyes. I don't know why he doesn't iron his shirts, it's very disturbing when it's all crinkled like that. You can't even make out that it says 'Star Wars'. I mean... can because Kaleb always wears that shirt on Mondays. It's his favourite Monday shirt. 
"You seem quiet," Kaleb spoke softly before taking another bite of cereal. The metal bar on the lunch table bit my bare calve as it slid gently against it, sending shivers up my spine, prickling my skin.
"I don't know," I say simply. 
"What?" he said, knitting his dark and well-pronounced eyebrows together. 
"What what?" I ask. Suddenly my neck hairs stood erect. Kaleb's eye glanced behind me, then hastily glanced back, meeting mine. 
He opened his mouth as if to say something but snapped it back shut right before someone grabbed my shoulders aggressively and tightly, yelling "boo" in my ear way too loudly. I shrieked and jumped out of the person's grasp, stumbling out of my seat. 
"OW!" I yelp, turning to find Lauren with an evil grin on her face, "why? Why did you have to do that?" I ask angrily. 
She shrugged, taking a bite of her apple, the smile now gone. Should've enjoyed it while I had the chance.
I rub my shoulders, hoping to get rid of the remaining pain and snatched my backpack from the bench seat. 
"Someone's grumpy," Lauren said, chomping on an apple, "just trying to have a little fun before class."
"Kaleb wants to have fun, not me. Please don't do that ever again," I say. 
"I can't promise anything."
I groan and storm off to the first period. I didn't care that I was going to be 10 minutes early.  

  "Can someone please tell me what of the following literary elements on the board are not included in structure?" The teacher, Mr. Miller asked, using a stick and hitting the board absentmindedly. His thick rimmed glasses were resting on the bridge of his large nose. He was wearing a white tucked polo shirt with some beige khaki pants and black leather shoes that matched his hair and tie.  
  This girl with blonde hair and a nice looking face raised her hand from the front of the classroom. 
"You, Ms. Reinhart," Mr. Miller called on her. 

"Dialogue," she said simply. 

   When class finally ended, I waited outside for my friend,  Aspen, who was new to the group, to take me to Little Caesars to meet up with the rest of the group. We we're getting dinner there and hanging out after school. That was the plan. 
  Aspen's metallic black Jetta pulled up to the cracked curp, with someone already in the passenger's seat. I pulled open the back door and climbed in, aware of my surroundings. A boy sat in the black leather passenger seat besides Aspen. He had light curly hair and that's all I could see. 
"Heyy Max!" Aspen exclaimed, meeting my eyes in the rearview mirror. I quietly said 'hi' back, looking away from her gaze and stared out the car window. She pressed the gas and took off, pulling out of the parking lot and onto the main street. 
We talked about our sucky days at school and how Rakim, the jock who likes to bully people, stole my lunch so I am really starving. 
"-and then he said that my lunch looked... and I QUOTE- 'nasty' so he THREW it AWAY," I say, remembering from earlier. 
Aspen nods her head. "Oh, this is Jorge, by the way. I met him in AP Bio and invited him to come with us." 
Her friend, Jorge, waved slightly and then looked out his window, being quiet as ever. He seemed... nice... I guess. 
"-And we're also picking up Rojelio... do you think Simon would mind? Lauren told me that they kind of... had something back in seventh grade," Aspen tells me. 
I sigh. "Yes, they did. And I am not sure if Simon will mind. You better hope not." 
Aspen opens her mouth, as if she were about to say something, but then closes it again. 

   


© 2019 Shoshana


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love Max lmao. He's so funny.
"I don't know why he doesn't iron his shirts, its very disturbing when they're all crinkled like that."

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shoshana

4 Years Ago

ikr my fav

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
1 Review
Added on October 16, 2019
Last Updated on October 21, 2019


Author

Shoshana
Shoshana

OR



About
im not good at writing but loquesea more..

Writing
journal ig journal ig

A Poem by Shoshana


idek idek

A Poem by Shoshana


sparkle sparkle

A Poem by Shoshana